Change Mode

Defrag Problem

Nikilet

I ran the set of tests a few nights ago. For the second time in a row I got a red light that my system needed to be defragged. Thing is, I have Diskeeper, which runs in the background and automatically keeps my system defragged. I've had this program for quite some time, and I've run tests previously and never had a problem in this area. I just assumed it was with Diskeeper so I submitted a ticket to their tech support and also submitted a log of the Diskeeper Job Report to them.

They answered stating that they did not understand what I thought the problem was because the Job Report file they looked at does not indicate there should be any problem with fragmentation.

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem with Diskeeper, or, if anyone knows what the problem is here?

Please post an OverDrive link so that we can see what is taking place on your computer. You will need to register an account, login, and run the full tests from the link below, then copy and paste the URL from the results page into your reply:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/

If you need help, there is a tutorial here:

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/html/helpfiles/techexphelp.htm

Thank you for the OverDrive link.

The test results indicate that the fragmentation is most likely in the Vista restore points.

You can either run Windows Disk Cleanup and delete all but the last restore point, or, if necessary, turn off System Restore, reboot and defrag, then turn System Restore back on (and be sure to manually create a new restore point in Vista) and you should see great improvement.

Thank you for the OverDrive link.

The test results indicate that the fragmentation is most likely in the Vista restore points.

You can either run Windows Disk Cleanup and delete all but the last restore point, or, if necessary, turn off System Restore, reboot and defrag, then turn System Restore back on (and be sure to manually create a new restore point in Vista) and you should see great improvement.

I will do as you suggest, but that doesn't answer the question WHY. The last test I ran showed the same thing. I'm pretty green, but why, suddenly, is System Restore causing this problem when it never did before?

I had forgotten about this, but I just turned System Restore off on 3/28 and cleared everything, then turned it back on. If there is something wrong in System Restore I'd sure like help to figure out what it is and fix it. It has been responding really slow, which is why I cleared it on 3-28. It didn't seem to make any difference.

There is an article at the link below that may answer the "Why" question:

http://techtalk.pcpitstop.com/2007/04/20/the-illusions-of-vista/

I read this article, plus clicked on any links within it and read those too. Then I ran the free scan with DiskMD 3. However, would this program be any better than Diskeeper? I don't understand all the technical stuff so I'm struggling here. Supposedly DiskMD defrags System Restore??? Does Diskeeper do the same?

I read this article, plus clicked on any links within it and read those too. Then I ran the free scan with DiskMD 3. However, would this program be any better than Diskeeper? I don't understand all the technical stuff so I'm struggling here. Supposedly DiskMD defrags System Restore??? Does Diskeeper do the same?

Is there any way for me to show you the results of this DiskMD scan? I took pictures of two screens but I don't see a place here to attach.

I'm continuing to read. Would it be to my benefit to run PageDefrag by SysInternals? Seems one person found the largest part of their problem by doing this. I don't know because I don't understand these things, but, it doesn't appear to me that my pagefile is very fragmented.

If I am reading correctly, Diskeeper does NOT defrag restore points, but Disk MD does. Could you verify if my understanding is right?

I believe I read that you could reduce the amount of space allotted to System Restore through using the CMD box and making a change. If this is correct would it be beneficial for me to do this?

Intelguy: I hope that you will stick with me a bit longer on this. I would really appreciate knowing your responses to the previous.

After cleaning SR of all but one restore point, restarting, doing a manual run of Diskeeper, running the OverDrive test there are no more problems. SR even works at a reasonable pace again instead of taking so long. However, I wouldn't think that removing all the restore points is exactly the way to go.

I found the command for reducing the size of System Restore and dropped it to 8 GB. Is that too small?

Do you think the PageDefrag would be a good deal or should I leave well enough alone?

Do you think I would be helped by using DiskMD instead of Diskeeper, in that it is supposed to defrag restore points?

Hi Nikilet,

DiskMD only defrags restore points for XP. Vista comes along behind DiskMD and relocks the restore point files before they can be defragged. The procedure to turn off System Restore, defrag, and turn System Restore back on and create a restore point will overcome that issue.

Yes, I would recommend reducing the amount of space allocated for System Restore. Personally I would find 8GB excessive, but that's just my preference. Officially, PC Pitstop recommends only using about 1GB, which is enough for one or two restore points.

If your defrag results are looking good, I would not bother defragging the page file. You can do the same thing by simply deleting it and recreating it. Just note down the settings before deleting it.

With Vista, DiskMD is not going to be any help in defragging restore points.