Change Mode

V7 Is Here

For anyone interested, v7 is now in open beta. It lets you run multiple folding instances through a single interface.

http://folding.typepad.com/news/2011/03/client-version-7-now-in-open-beta.html

http://foldingforum.org/viewforum.php?f=67&sid=63103a1c8400fe81ec7580c8eb6d1b4d

The first new core for ATi OpenCL is also available.

http://folding.typepad.com/news/2011/03/core-16-for-ati-released-also-note-on-nvidia-gpu-support-for-older-boards.html

Edited by uncle fuzzy

not something i can see me using any time soon. :lol:

:b33r:

Why Not? You don't wanna do anything mainstream do you? Stop being your own special I know better than the rest of you do. It ain't workin' Try it and share with the rest of us what you find . Don't just reject it. You put your pants on the same way I do every morning. One leg at a time. :geezer:

Why Not? You don't wanna do anything mainstream do you? Stop being your own special I know better than the rest of you do. It ain't workin' Try it and share with the rest of us what you find . Don't just reject it. You put your pants on the same way I do every morning. One leg at a time. :geezer:

:laughing: you in a grump today then mb?

1 i don't own a 5xxx ati card,

2 i don't fold more than 1 client

3 i don't fold gpu

4 i run suse linux and am not installing folding as root.

so like i said, not something i'll be using anytime soon.. :nana:

http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=18043&sid=35399b1253037fa930317ee0b628e55e

Edited by terry1966

:laughing: you in a grump today then mb?

1 i don't own a 5xxx ati card,

2 i don't fold more than 1 client

3 i don't fold gpu

4 i run suse linux and am not installing folding as root.

so like i said, not something i'll be using anytime soon.. :nana:

http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=18043&sid=35399b1253037fa930317ee0b628e55e

Then why say anything? Just to say I don't care? Some times it is best to ignore the post rather than tell the OP you couldn't care less. Why should he post in the future if that is the response he gets? :surrender:

never said i didn't care, just that it wasn't something i'd be using anytime soon. :lol:

i always try and keep up with the latest clients, but this interface is one i won't be rushing to install. :tup:

Edited by terry1966

never said i didn't care, just that it wasn't something i'd be using anytime soon. :lol:

i always try and keep up with the latest clients, but this interface is one i won't be rushing to install. :tup:

And after that being said just what interface would YOU like to see?

Personally, I prefer v6 console clients. :D

V7 is aimed at new folders to make it easier to configure folding without really knowing what you're doing. It won't hurt to get familiar with it. You know the day will come when all new projects require v7 and the hardware useful in v6 will no longer work.

It's not too bad. I can install it, it finds all my hardware, and I can be up and folding with a cpu and multiple gpus in less than 5 minutes.

Personally, I prefer v6 console clients. :D

V7 is aimed at new folders to make it easier to configure folding without really knowing what you're doing. It won't hurt to get familiar with it. You know the day will come when all new projects require v7 and the hardware useful in v6 will no longer work.

It's not too bad. I can install it, it finds all my hardware, and I can be up and folding with a cpu and multiple gpus in less than 5 minutes.

I agree it works just fine I have tried it and like you said 2 gpus and 1 smp were running in less than 5 min. v6 will be phased out sometime in the future so get familiar with v7. Like it or not :sparkle:

O.K. I need to update clients & drivers anyway, so I'm thinkin' I'll take the plunge. Reading through the install guide/requirement, not sure if I understand everything yet. Three quick questions: I always thought you had to use specific Cuda drivers from the Cuda page, but this says anything over 26x.xx. Is that correct?

I understand you can monitor all your clients with V7, but does that still mean you install V7 for each client? My first machine is a Q9550 for SMPs and a Geforce 9800+ for GPUs. Install V7 for each and pick the types SMP and GPU. Right?

My other is a dual core E something with a Geforce 250. Ditto two installs, one of each?

Should I wait until my current units are done or will the new client V7 finish them? Or just plunge ahead with new V7?

:)

Edit: do I need to uninstall the old or can I just go overwrite in the same folder?

Edited by flyfishingrules2

O.K. I need to update clients & drivers anyway, so I'm thinkin' I'll take the plunge. Reading through the install guide/requirement, not sure if I understand everything yet. Three quick questions: I always thought you had to use specific Cuda drivers from the Cuda page, but this says anything over 26x.xx. Is that correct?

I understand you can monitor all your clients with V7, but does that still mean you install V7 for each client? My first machine is a Q9550 for SMPs and a Geforce 9800+ for GPUs. Install V7 for each and pick the types SMP and GPU. Right?

My other is a dual core E something with a Geforce 250. Ditto two installs, one of each?

Should I wait until my current units are done or will the new client V7 finish them? Or just plunge ahead with new V7?

WOW lotsa questions.........the only one I can answer is you must finish you current WU's, use the one unit flag. You do not need to uninstall your old clients keep them for back up. This version will find your current hardware and start folding. I haven't figured out how to monitor other folders in my network yet. Have at it and tell us about what you learned.

Edit: do I need to uninstall the old or can I just go overwrite in the same folder?

Well, I plunged: I got the GPU 250 to go--then tried to install again, picking SMP, and got a bunch of errors. Aborted :)

O.K! You only need one install per machine, I think, under Config, you pick slot, then type of unit (smp, gpu)

:tup:

Not sure yet if you must install client at least once on EACH machine yet.......think so......

Wahoo--I will do next machine quad, 9800 when the gpu finishes (very soon).

This is where the new terminology can screw you up. Each machine needs just one Client, then you can add slots for all your hardware.

You only install the FAHClient once, picking which piece of hardware to fold on at the beginning- sounds like you picked GPU. Once you have that running, click the drop down in the upper right corner of the interface and select Advanced or Expert, rather than Novice. Click the Configure button, then the Slots tab. Click the Add button at the bottom and choose whether to run a Uni or SMP on the cpu. If SMP, pick how many cores to use. OK out of that then Edit the SMP to change to "big".

http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=18187

You want:

max-packet-size -> big -> Will configure your Slot to get big WUs (~500MB)

This can all be done while you're still folding on the GPU.

Undoubtedly we'll have to "move up" to v7 sometime in the future, but for now, I'm sticking with the v6 clients that I just got updated...

This upgrade sounds like it contains some software that I read about 1 1/2-2 years ago where you install it and it finds and monitors all of your [email protected] clients. What about running Prifinitty with it???

:geezer:

And after that being said just what interface would YOU like to see?

i don't mind what interface i use, just as long as it's simple to install and works, and to be honest you don't get much simpler than what i'm using now, terminal. just need to remember 2 commands, cd into the folder then ./fah6 -smp 7 -bigadv and away she goes.

there's no real advantages with v7 from the little i've read unless your folding an ati 5xxx card, but it should make setting up for new comers much easier especially if they're folding multiply clients.

ff2 you should be able to find out all you need from this link :- https://fah-web.stanford.edu/projects/FAHClient/wiki/TitleIndex

Edited by terry1966

Trouble in Folding Paradise: my best computer/client (Q9550/9800 GeForce) shows the new V7 as inactive/offline, has been like that all night and day. Tried rebooting and reinstalling with same settings but NADA. Checked [email protected] forum, and they said ticket #526 (defect) has been opened but nothing since April 1st. Anybody know anything else?

:shrug:

Edit: will try reinstalling with default settings once, then wait for [email protected] news. Other similar client is working fine still.