No Audio Output Device Installed.

Alright Guys and Gals!

I've been repairing PCs for longer than I care to tell but this one has me stumped.

Odds are I could fix it in less than an hour with a Windows 7 reinstall but that's against my religion. I don't think formatting/reinstallation is a cure for anything except laziness. Besides, what if it happens again?

So, here's the meat of the problem.

Last week I bought new parts for my new build. These are:

Asus Sabertooth P67 B3 (new revision Sandy Bridge)

Intel i7 2600k @ 3.4 GHz

16 GB G.Skill DDR3

I got those 2 days ago, installed them, updated drivers, etc. All worked out ok except some issues.

The worst is the one why I'm posting.

I have no sound whatsoever. The speaker icon in the taskbar tells me "No Audio Output Device Installed." which is false. All drivers and sofware associated with the XtremeGamer card installed successfully. No error. On the motherboard, there's RealTek ALC892 sound chip. That's what I tried using before using the XtremeGamer that was in the "old" computer. Both give the same result.

Using the troubleshooter gives me:

-------------------

Problem found

"Audio device is disabled" Not Fixed (red dot with x)

--------------------

All devices (disabled and disconnected) are ticked in "Playback" and "Recording" tabs of the Sound panel. Sound is at 100% output.

If I try to change default device, it doesn't stick. Clicking on "Configure" for each device doesn't bring a configuration window. Setting default to a different device does not work either. With the RealTek installed, I could see the jack being removed/inserted in their application, but the result was the same.

I found some threads here and there about that problem on the interwebs, one of which was written by a MS MVP, saying to use sfc /scannow, which found some problems, and apparently fixed them, but the main issue is still present.

At this point, I'm thinking there's a ghost device installed somewhere, and for some reason, windows think this device is still active and enabled. So I looked through the registry, manually deleted those (and that was a screaming pain as I had to change permissions for each key!), but upon rebooting, those were reinstalled, so I guess I was wrong.

I said I had some "issues". So here's the rest of it.

For some unknown reason, Windows Update fails. The troubleshooter suggestion for a fix doesn't do anything, every time it is ran brings up the same fix, so that doesn't "work" properly.

Lastly, internet/network access works but the "Network" icon says I'm not connected even though I'm obviously am.

I checked, double-checked and triple-checked the BIOS. Everything is in order. I tried enabling/disabling, tweaking, changing settings, to no avail. The more it goes, the more it looks like I'll have to reinstall.

I would love to hear from you. There aren't many problems I can't solve, but this one is starting to make me pull my hair.

Any and all suggestions are welcome. At this point, I'm willing to do pretty much anything if it means I won't have to reinstall over 300 programs (plus those that are "self-installed"), all the settings, etc.

Much appreciation in advance.

It's possible you have a conflict with the on board sound and the sound card. Normally when I've had on board sound and intend to install a sound card I disbale the on board sound in the bios then install the sound card. If the sound card is good installing the drivers should make it work. If the sound card is bad the drivers won't install because they won't see the sound card. Or you can remove the sound card enable the on board sound in the bios then install the motherboard drivers that have the on board sound drivers.

To add to Ms. Mouse's reply, windows 7 could've put in a default driver and when you installed the driver for your card, there became a conflict. Uninstall the driver that you installed and reboot.

@Jacee

I repaired several times with the same result.

@mouse

The first time I booted Win 7 the XtremeGamer wasn't installed. I only installed it after seeing the sound problem. I thought the onboard sound had some issue. I tried with either enabled/installed with no change.

@Joe C

That's my thinking too. But no matter if I uninstall the audio drivers, the issue comes back as soon as I boot Win 7 up. The installed "sound board" whichever is enabled and driver-less, is reinstalled automatically (even when I specifically told windows not to), and thus the problem comes back.

---

So yesterday night I decided to split a partition from the 1 TB disk and install a new copy of Win7 on it. This was mainly to test if there was some problem with the motherboard. I didn't think it was so, but I had to check.

Installing Win7 on that partition was painless and I do have sound. All issues are gone. Now I'm sure the problem doesn't come from the motherboard or any of the component. I currently run in SLI without the XtremeGamer.

Honestly I'd prefer to use my old install, but I'm not sure if that would be advisable or doable. I could overwrite the new install over the old and see how that goes or make an image of that new install and use it to replace the old...

I guess there's no other choice.

i haven't been on windows in a long time, but this may be still relevant.

go to start> control panel

in control panel, select the option that says hardware and sound

under the listing for sound, select manage audio devices

under recording and sounds tabs, you will find all available devices. to set a default device, right click on one of them and select set as default device

when their is multiple devices, i think this would happen, and if i understand the topic, this is the way to resolve the issue.

edit: i see you tried that, but not right click?

if you have further problems, pull the soundcard and put it back in another slot.

Edited by duanester

i haven't been on windows in a long time, but this may be still relevant.

go to start> control panel

in control panel, select the option that says hardware and sound

under the listing for sound, select manage audio devices

under recording and sounds tabs, you will find all available devices. to set a default device, right click on one of them and select set as default device

when their is multiple devices, i think this would happen, and if i understand the topic, this is the way to resolve the issue.

edit: i see you tried that, but not right click?

if you have further problems, pull the soundcard and put it back in another slot.

Yeah. I did try that. Either by using right-clicking or from the device's installed software or windows's configuration panel of that device.

Yeah. I did try that. Either by using right-clicking or from the device's installed software or windows's configuration panel of that device.

several things you can still try without reinstalling/

software & remove driver, let windows auto detect device, it will ask for the driver cd.

that's a sure fire way to get it working, but only after you've followed previous advice.

several things you can still try without reinstalling/

software & remove driver, let windows auto detect device, it will ask for the driver cd.

that's a sure fire way to get it working, but only after you've followed previous advice.

I've also tried that. Normal drivers uninstall then reboot and also after uninstalling and driver cleaner sweep. The cleaner removed leftover stuff but the end result was the same. Windows asked for the normal drivers of the device (audio chipset and/or XtremeGamer card) but that "ghost" audio remained there.

I did reinstall windows 7 on a new partition but I've kept the old install just in case I'd find a real solution to this problem...

i would check the board schematic and make sure their aren't any missing/ misconfiguration with jumpers.

i would look at bios updates to see if there are any fixes to the specific problem.

i would get an ubuntu live cd, run it to test your sound, you don't need to install it, just run it live.

http://www.ubuntu.com/ if your sound works, there is a serious issue with windows when it comes to hardware detection.

As I said, I did a new partition on the same system. If it were the motherboard or one of its component, I'd get the same problem with a new install or an old one. The old installation is fubared when it comes to the sound drivers, or some obscure stuff that is impossible to find, that is breaking the sound system.

Usually for mundane problems like that the troubleshooting wizards do a good job, but there's something very wrong going on and the wizard can't "reset" whatever it is that is stopping sound from working correctly.

Ultimately, I think the only thing I could do to fix the problem would be to disassemble the new build, redo the old and uninstall everything pertaining to sound, turn the computer off, redo the new build and hope that it worked. But that is something I'm not willing to go through.

since you basically slapped in a new mobo and used a preexisting installation of windows, this was bound to happen.

now you must rely on windows to scan for hardware changes, go into device manager> sound video and game controller> right click sound, audio, video and game option> you should see the option to scan for hardware changes.