Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

caintry_boy

Workstation

O.K., I have two copies of Windows XP Pro, one for Dell (OEM) and another just OEM (seems to work on all PC's). I had done a fresh install of Windows using the generic OEM disk, but while attempting to run PC Pitstop's Super Shield I could not because in *Services* I was missing two important services. "Server" and "Workstation". Just yesterday, I did a clean, fresh install using the Dell cd and after installing I checked in *Services* and both "Server" and "Workstation" were present. I installed Super Shield and all was well until this morning. I just came and turned on the monitor for this PC and there was a warning that Super Shield couldn't run without the *Workstation* service. It's gone missing!!!

Can somebody tell me where the heck it went??

I might also mention that I installed and ran PC Pitstops PC Matic, could that be the culprit??

:geezer:

Found it! I had uninstalled "File and Print Sharing" and "Client for MS Networks" in the properties for my network adapter. I just always figured they were something I didn't want... Super Shield is the only thing I've found that wants them to be there... :surrender:

Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Thanks for letting us know.

Also explains why it wouldn't run properly on this machine the first time around... :blushing: