Sign in to follow this  
mrkez

Internet Explorer Cannot Display The Webpage

Quite often, when I am surfing with IE, I get a message that says that IE cannot display the webpage. When I click on the button for "diagnose connection problems" I get the message DPS not running. I have DPS set to automatic. If I try to start it, it says it started then stopped. I cannot duplicate the problem, since it happens frequently, but randomly. I have tried various methods found on different forums to try and fix this. I saw something that said that TrustedInstaller had to have full permissions so I did that. I have run pcMatic. I have run JV16 and "The Ultimate Troubleshooter" I have also run full malware scans including the one found on PcMatic, Microsoft security essentials, and Spybot S&D. I do not know what else to do. Please help.

Have you tried the "solution" that is posted here?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/itprovistanetworking/thread/2eb3fd6d-ca85-47b5-b94d-371af19b3af5

Scroll down toward the bottom

Yes, we already had a Windows Live account. I had seen that one, and we had already had a WL account so I dismissed that idea. I have also even tried uninstalling and reinstalling the network adapter, also the drivers for the network adapter are current. I have just checked and installed the new ones. I tried one that said to use normal startup instead of selective startup on msconfig. I flushed the DNS cache. I reset the modem. I have not done a system restore since I do not know exactly when this problem started. Thank you for your quick reply.

Edited by mrkez

Does it work in a different browser? Do you use wireless internet?

Firefox does it sometimes too. It does not do it on the same web page all the time. It happens on various web pages. It is so random that I cannot fully describe the problem. The internet is connected through a 2wire gateway modem and wired. I also have a laptop that is connected wireless, and I do not seem to have as much of a problem with it. I do not know exactly when it started, but it seems to have started happening more frequently lately. Sometimes a refresh will work, but more often than not I have to back up and try again.

Because of it's randomness and cross-browser behavior, I would guess that it is an adserver(s) that is being flagged and as it is happening, the connection to the page is stalled.

Do you have SpywareBlaster installed on this computer? Are you using the HOSTS file from SpyBot?

It's just a guess, but see if you can get it to happen if you go to sites that do not host advertisements.

:) Y

Because of it's randomness and cross-browser behavior, I would guess that it is an adserver(s) that is being flagged and as it is happening, the connection to the page is stalled.

Do you have SpywareBlaster installed on this computer? Are you using the HOSTS file from SpyBot?

It's just a guess, but see if you can get it to happen if you go to sites that do not host advertisements.

No to spywareblaster, but yes to spybot hosts. Should I stop using the spybot hosts?

Try it without it and see if the same behavior occurs. You can always put it back. Also try to navigate to sites without ads and see if the same behavior occurs.

I completely uninstalled Spybot for now, just to make sure that it has not affected things. It will take a little while to determine if that was the cause. I do not know what websites do this all the time for me to test it. I will just have to surf and see if it still happens. I will let you know as soon as I can. Thanks.

Okay I just tried to follow a link to dell from shopzilla.com and it happened again. Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage and when I clicked Diagnose Connection Problems, it says DPS not working. I do not know why Diagnostics policy service is not running. I have it set on automatic. I've also tried running IE without add-ons.

I am considering uninstalling IE8 and putting IE9 on instead, although I am sure it will not affect the DPS problem. I am not sure if DPS is supposed to be always on, even though it is set to automatic, but it should come on when I press the button for it. The web page will come up when you either backup to the previous webpage and re-click the link or sometimes when you refresh the page. It also happened when I first opened IE.

Edited by mrkez

I just did a repair install of Windows 7. I also added SP1 while I was at it, it cut down on the updates considerably btw. There was also an error that prevented me from installing IE9 that required the repair install supposedly. I will let you know if that fixed the problem. It was a last resort measure. I was hoping that there was an auto fix for the problem.

Thanks

Edited by mrkez

Thanks for the update, keep pressing on and let us know if the behavior continues.

Well, it has happened again TWICE since I did the repair install, except this time the diagnose connection problem does NOT give me the DPS not working message. It just says no problems detected and loads the page. I did upgrade to IE9 and SP1. It happened when this time when I opened a new tab and it tried to load my homepage, google.

Are you using a third party firewall? like zone alarm?

no 3rd party firewall. Just using MSE and PcMatic and the windows firewall.

Edited by mrkez

PC Matic and MSE are both antivirus applications, you need to turn off real time protection on one or the other.

PC Matic and MSE are both antivirus applications, you need to turn off real time protection on one or the other.

Which one should I use?

Try one for awhile, then try the other one. See which one might be acting up.

We shall try and see what happens. Thanks for the advice. I uninstalled PcMatic RT. When I shut off MSE, I got red flags. Anyway, we will see if this works.

Edited by mrkez

It is still doing it on occasion, except this time it lets me "diagnose connection problems". When it does it thought it says that no errors found and continues on to the page. :pullhair: