Change Mode

Cdrw Drive And Dvd-rom Not Updating

Guest Mike Serieys

Guest Mike Serieys

Posted this on the old forum too, sorry for the crossover, didn't realise this place existed.

--

Hi all,

An annoying problem I can't get my head around. I'll elaborate. I run Windows XP Pro, and recently my CDRW drive (an NEC/Freecom NR-7900) and my DVD player (a Matsushita 48x) haven't been updating themselves properly.

What I mean here is that if, when I start up, I have no CD in the CDRW drive, and my Madden 2003 CD in the DVD drive, if i insert a CD into the CDRW drive, no CD name shows up, nor does any Autoplay occur. With the DVD drive, even if I remove Madden and put, say, my XP Pro CD in, it still displays Madden as being in the drive.

I've done the normal adding and removing of drives both physically and via Device Manager, and following advice from a website removed the XP Windows Update file relating to CD-Burning issues, which has apparently been known to cause more problems than it solves. Following further advice I've removed Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 as it seems to cause problems with my drive in XP. Whilst I've managed to burn a CD fine this evening with Nero (my burning problems I was having are now solved) the CDs just aren't updating.

I'm imagining I'm just a registry tweak away from getting this cracked - can anyone advise as to which tweak is necessary?

Thanks in advance.

FYI: I've got the latest VIA 4in1 drivers, am running standard XP Pro, without SP1 (slowed my system down a good deal).

Guest Mike Serieys

Hi, sorry for being tardy with my reply.

I'm not sure I've explained my problem too well. I elaborate. My drives, they work, they spin, they read, and they write. They're all connected fine. To explain best, I'll attach a screenshot.

When I started my PC up I had Championship Manager 2000/1 in Drive F: (my CDRW) and an old Sensible World of Soccer CD (the CD has no nametag, hence the recognition of my DVD-ROM as a 'CD Drive') in Drive G:. If, for example, I remove both CDs, I still see the following:

Posted Image

Windows just doesn't know I've taken them out. And if I put, for example, my Windows XP CD in Drive F:, I see the following:

Posted Image

CD Autoplay is enabled, the drives are properly plugged in. I'm thinking it's related to multiple problems I had with Easy CD Creator which I got bundled with my CDRW, after almost a year's constant fiddling with it to keep it correctly configured, I ditched it and got Nero instead. Since I deleted ECDC, this has happened. I'm not willing to go back to ECDC as Nero is a far better utility, and this is surely fixable. Just need some help from you guys and gals. ;-)

Oh, 1966, it's not a Dell, no. It's a German company called Maxdata who distributed my machine, although since I bought it I've added the CDRW, a new sound card, a new HDD, and a FireWire card, so I consider it pretty much my own now. I've even updated to XP from the infernal ME, so it's pretty much manufacturer free. Thanks for asking though.

Note: Although it may not look a great deal like XP I'm running icon-wise, believe me it is. The joys of desktop enhancements. :mrgreen:

Guest Mike Serieys

patricko,

Everything is fine in Windows Explorer, I've searched the Microsoft Knowledge Base to no avail, and can't think of anything else to do.

Thanks anyway though.

Guest Mike Serieys

patricko: Thank you thank you thank you. This has been driving me mad for weeks, and you've found the solution.

As previously stated: thank you. :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: