Turn Off Dual Channel

I have a gigabyte 89ofxa-ud5 motherboard and I bought two sticks of 4gig memory. On this motherboard I can't turn off dual channel. I can't find it in the bios. I tried changing the memory slots but that didn't help.

Anyone know how to turn it off? Will games even use more then 4gigs?

Any particular reason why you want to disable dual channel?

As for something using memory, well an application will use as much as it needs, so if a game can or will use that much memory then certainly it will use it.

To run in single channel you need to put the ram in slots 1 & 2 usually. Since to run in dual channel the ram would need to be slot 1 & 3. But running in dual channel you still will have 8 gb of ram it will just run better than single channel.

I understand dual channel is faster but it cuts the amount of memory I have in half. If 4 gigs is enough to run all games then I wouldn't mind.

I tried multiple different slots with the memory but it always uses dual channel. I guess I'm out of luck this board does not seem to support it. Ill just have to buy some more memory.

Dual Channel doesn't cut memory in half.

If that is what you are seeing then you have a faulty motherboard or faulty memory.

What brand and specs are the memory you purchased?

You might want to see if there is a Bios update available.

Edited by Bruce

OK well now I'm just confused. I thought dual channel worked very much like raid where it pulled data off both at the same time doubling the speed. But because of this it used 8 gigs of memory as 4 gigs. The last mobo I had increased my speed with dual channel but cut my memory in half unless something has changed?

I have two four gig chips of g-skill. gigabyte 890fxa-ud5. CPUz reads both the memory chips just fine.

If you had a motherboard that only saw half of your memory, then either the motherboard was faulty or the memory was faulty.

Dual channel does not in any way shape or form reduce the amount of memory, in fact there isn't a single solitary way of doing that at all unless either the memory or board is faulty.

If you have 8 gigs of memory, then you have 8 gigs of memory.

Now if you are running a 32 bit windows operating system, then that operating system is limited to 4 gigs. The mother board you have is similar to mine. It has a 16 gigabyte capacity, you can use up to 16 GB of memory, it will see, use and make available all of it to any operating system. You need a 64 bit operating system to take advantage of it.

You need to have Physical Address Extension in order for Windows to read memory capacities beyond 3.5 GB. All x64 versions of Windows don't have this limitation on memory. However some x64 Windows OSes does have a set memory capacity before PAE begins to set in.

Edited by EclipseWebJS2

Even with PAE on, a 32bit windows OS will only use 4gb of available ram....there's also a possible problem with system instability.

Even with 64bit windows 7 installations, the amount of memory used is dependant on the version of W7 you have installed.

As Bruce has already stated 8gb of RAM is 8gb of RAM it does not run like 'Raid' in dual channel.