Sign in to follow this  
stanger

Need A Little Oc Help

What up peeps. TxRedneck referred me to here.

My system:

Asus M4A89GTD PRO

Phenom II 965 BE

Corsiar XMS3 DDR3 4 gig stick

Corsiar TX650w psu

Noctua NH-C14 cpu hs/fan...just installed

Right now I have it clocked at 4.34Ghz stable(zalman fan before noctua). Highest temp on load reached 50 degrees using burn tst. Since I have a better cpu fan now, I was seeing if I could make my pc a little faster.

I tried upping the bus,but it wouldn't run stable. Only other option I know is the cpu voltage which I'm not comfortable messing with w/out someone helping me out. Hopefully this is enought info for you all. Here's some screen shots of specs:

Posted Image

Posted Image

and here's options in bios:

Posted Image

Hey buddy, are you usin a single 4gig stick and have you already upped the volts? Post a link for your mobo, I'm on my phone and it's difficult to copy/paste to search...one for your ram too. :)

Edited by Tx Redneck

edit: Whoopsie! Welcome to The PIT, stanger!!!

First of all, what is the stock multiplier and bus speed? Looks to me like I'd try setting the CPU/NB voltage mode to "Manual" and set the CPU voltage to 1.475-1.5v. Might want to leave it as is and drop the multi to 18-19 (if possible) and bump the FSB up to around 250.

Also, in the BIOS "Advanced" tab disable C1E, and "Secure Virtual Machine" and you may want to disable Cool and Quiet...

One more thought...a lot of Asus boards I've had lately prefer to have all settings at "Auto" except for the CPU FSB, Multi, and RAM voltage.....

BTW, you may be maxed out. Most reviews I see from O/C results are around 4.2Ghz...

:geezer:

Edited by caintry_boy

thanks man

stock is 200 and 17

disable other options and tried 250/18..it restarted

trying 245/18 now

oh and that was with v at 1.475

Edited by stanger

Link to mobo..

http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=eCWbkolMf0DOW0IV

It is a single 4gig stick. Have not messed with any voltage at all. Only 2 things I have changed are the frequency and multiplier

If you are running 1 single stick, it is running the memory in single channel, you need to have 2 sticks in order to run in dual channel.

Keep in mind that you're might have a lil difficulty w/ stability and that high cap single stick or ram. 2x2Gig or 4x1 would be more ideal.

I would love to hit the 4.4 mark. 4.32 is highest I got it to stable when I had the zalman hs. Intel tst uses cpu at 100%,but programs I've used never get above 85-90. I do a lot of video converting and highest I've seen it hit was 90%. What kind of sticks do you all recommend? Sucks that I spent $80 on this one, but oh well, I can sell it.

TX,

I do believe those are triple channel kits. He would still need a 4th one in order to run dual channel I believe. They needs to be either 2 or 4 to run in dual channel with AMD.

TX,

I do believe those are triple channel kits. He would still need a 4th one in order to run dual channel I believe. They needs to be either 2 or 4 to run in dual channel with AMD.

oops, my dislexia saw 2x3 gig. :P

Just FYI..I'm running 32bit

Even though you are running 32 bit, the ram modules still need to be in pairs to run in dual channel mode. example: 2x1gb or 2x2gb. But they need to be run in pairs. Say you went with a 64bit OS, example: 4x1gb or 4x2gb

Edited by edw6698

How about this...

http://www.frys.com/...CH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

• Extreme Performance PC3-10666 (1333MHz)
  • Low Latency (7-7-7-20)
  • Equipped Patriot Viper Heat Shields with integrated ACC (Aluminum Copper Composite) technology
  • 100% Tested and Verified
  • RoHS Compliant
  • XMP Ready
  • Tested and compatible with Intel P35 and X38 chipsets
or this one...

http://www.frys.com/...CH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

• Extreme Performance PC3-12800 (1600MHz)
  • Low Latency (7-7-7-20)
  • Equipped Patriot Viper Heat Shields with integrated ACC (Aluminum Copper Composite) technology
  • 100% Tested and Verified
  • RoHS Compliant
  • XMP Ready
  • Tested and compatible with Intel P35 and X38 chipsets

Frys is right down the street from where I work. Microcenter is pretty far from where I work.

Edited by stanger

I'm of the opinion that they're better quality. I know Patriot used to be decent memory but I've seen LOTS of problems out of them lately. BTW, you suck! I have to use DDR2 and it's frakin expensive like DDR3 was when it first came out. :grr:

I'm of the opinion that they're better quality. I know Patriot used to be decent memory but I've seen LOTS of problems out of them lately. BTW, you suck! I have to use DDR2 and it's frakin expensive like DDR3 was when it first came out. :grr:

haha...the ram was actually cheaper than what they had on their site. Was $48 instead of $57. I made sure it was the same type of memory. Hopefully this gets me going. I'll post back up tonight. Cuz I'll know I'll need some help with the voltage portions..lol

ok..got it installed

so far I have fsb=244..mult=18..cpuV=1.475

intel ran 2 tst's and gave a stability msg

Edited by stanger

DL CPU-Z and see what speed your ram is running at. You may need to manually set the speed in the BIOS and that could help with your OC.

Also, make sure you have one stick in each blue slot so it'll run in dual channel.

Edited by Tx Redneck

Edit....Sticks are paired up to run dual

Posted Image

Alot of the people I know that run the 965 cpu usually find the sweet spot for oc'ing the chip around 3.8ghz to 4.0ghz. When I had my 965 I used to run it at 3.8ghz. IMO the best way to oc a Black Edition chip is just use the multiplier. Once I started messing with the fsb by upping it to much instability always seemed to start happening. I see that you got 1333Kingston ram. You might be pushing the limits on the ram running running it at 816/1632.I would try and keep it aroung 800/1600. One thing I have found and is known to help boost thing up some with oc'ing is to run the NB frequency around 2400 to 2600. Some can run it at 2800. You are running your NB frequency way to low with the oc you are running. You always want to keep the HT link lower then the NB. From what I have found increasing the HT link does not really do much. I can't help you to much with voltages because I am running a Nvidia chipset. Google will bring up a wealth of information for oc'ing the 965 chip.Also not all the chips oc the same and with the same voltages.Some oc better then others. IMO I would shoot for a OC of around 3.8ghz to 4.0ghz, with the NB frequency around 2400 to 2800.With the ram at 800/1600. Edited by edw6698