After 70 inches of snow in the past couple weeks Joe, it has settled and is packed pretty hard.

Here is what we have after the warmer days and the snow packing, I do believe you could tunnel through it or cut blocks from it to make an iglloo. http://itsyourpc.org...es/P1010022.JPG I was trying to cut a path out to the back yard so I can get the ladder up, After work tommorow I plan on finishing digging my way out there and clearing an area so I can set up the ladder safely.

Here is the ice damn I have to contend with, http://itsyourpc.org...es/P1010029.JPG I have been chipping away at what I can reach from the upstairs windows. This ain't an icicle it is a seriously dangerous ice build up. Thank God no one goes out there with this much snow on the ground. It would kill a person dead immediately if it hit them. I am guessing the amount of Ice across the roof weighs more then a ton. The water drips I can deal with, I am more worried about a roof collapse.

Here is the roof of a recreation center building on the other side of the lake. http://itsyourpc.org...es/P1010039.JPG That scenario scares the hell out of me.

Edited by Bruce
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all i can say is wow. seeing you stand there and the path you made already.. thats deep!! and i do understand why that scares the hell out of you, thats serious damage.

question though Bruce.

branching from Jacee's idea about a heater.

what about renting/buying a propane forced air heater? stick in the window and the heat would melt that ice, and as long as its not aimed right at the top of that ice dam, it could happen what do you think.

It would make matters worse bigjoe.

The problem is the fact that the snow melts too quickly, the water runs down, and refreezes, creating a small damn, then as more melts it hits the damn of ice, and refreezes, wash rinse repeat until you get a huge amount of ice built up that nothing can get past. I don't want to compound the problem by creating heat that will melt more snow.

You have to realize that melting things like snow when the temperatures are below freezing, makes water, and water freezes making ice. If anything I would prefer that the temps go below zero stopping all the melting, then I would feel a little better.

If it gets cold enough I plan on getting up on the roof with my old tree climbing harness and safety lines. I am going to rope myself off to the chimney, and start removing the snow and ice. I feel much safer tied off on the roof then I do on a ladder. I just don't like ladders, and certainly don't like being on them with that much snow and ice "above" me.

For now I just want to get up on the ladder and break away the biggest part of the ice that is hanging over the edge. Once that is done then I will get up on the roof for the hard part of getting everything off.

We have a ridge vent on the roof. Under normal conditions the ridge vent is more than adequate. But in the current conditions it isn't working. I am guessing it just can't function because the amount of snow has blocked it from venting at all. Once the venting is stopped the big problems begin. Joe posted a pretty good article about insulation and roof venting.

I plan on cutting some holes in the walls up close to the peak and putting in some additional vent.

Between the flooding last spring and the nasty winter we are having this year, the past year hasn't been a whole hell of a lot of fun here :P

old house down the street, the fella has water line heater wire running around the roof edges, it's clearly working, always huge icicles falling from his house, the house appears to have been built in the 40's, i guess he plugs them in when the ice builds up, no vents on roof and i will assume the insulation is poor.

Was watching TV and people were smarting off about global warming and the such, a scientist tried to explain that it all ties into together.

Winters get worse, summers get hotter (this is my condensed version of course).

I know I can continue to dress in layers, but, only so much we can do when the heat outside is terrible.

I did get a visual of all of us Pit folks having a blast on a breezy warm beach, can't think of any one else I'd rather vacation with :wub:

Oh I am aware that they exist. I have never seen such a thing, and I would buy a new car, a very nice one, before I would spring for "copper" house gutters that would disappear in the middle of the night. :rofl3:

Edited by Bruce

hold on because next week we are going to get another hit....our prediction for tues eve is 12", hopefully it will change but it's going straight into your neighborhood Bruce

Yep we are looking at getting hit with more Mid Week.

If the predictions are correct for my area that will push us over the 90 inch mark in a matter of 3 1/2 weeks.

I have a friend who has a super long snow rake, I am going to help him with his roof, then he is going to help me out here.

I will only pull the snow off, I am not going to mess with the ice itself. There is too much ice, too heavy. It is like nothing I have seen before, to be honest it is starting to scare me a bit. Trying to do something with the amount of ice we have up on a 30 foot ladder is a death wish

Edited by Bruce

Gotta wonder what kind of idiot ever conceived of "flat roofs", even worse what kind of idiot decides to use them in New England :P

judging by the snowblower seen you showed us, i would probably avoid being in department stores, walmarts etc...

because if you do the math and you calculate an xmount of weight of compact snow per square foot, i am certain the rafters are flexing and the architects didn't see this coming :geezer:

What is the heat set at in the room the icicle is above? If it's not a room that's used, why not turn it off so that the heat leak doesn't continue to melt the snow? Oh, and shut the door!

It is my office, the other room is our bedroom. As much as I would love to do that, it has been getting down to single digits at nigh, and below zero temps coming this week. I can't turn the heat off, Sue just doesn't look very attractive with frost all over her :P

It has more to do with the 3 feet of snow covering the ridge vent then it does with heat getting into the attic.

News reprots and insurance adjuster who cam =e out today said there is a record number of claims due to ice damns on roofs, all related to the amount of snow in such a short period of time.

Unfortunately there are roofs collapsing in town.

With another 10 20 inches on it's way followed by rain the day after, I think our area will be one hell of a mess. That much snow on roofs, getting saturated by rain will be such an enourmous amount of weight that I am thinking of taking all my computer equipment and putting it back in the spare room in the basement.

If anything goes bad, our clothes and such would just need a good washing, but all the electronic equipment would be a total loss.

Bruce bad news there is another big storm on it's way :geezer: Starting tomorrow morning we're expecting an inch of ice in the form of freezing rain followed by 8 to 10 inches of snow from monday night thru wednesday :pullhair: So the freezing rain should hit you tuesday or wednesday followed by the snow.