Change Mode

Network Recognized But I Cannot Get Online

My laptop just recently started not connecting.

Its a GQ ZX 5580, P1.6GHZ centrino, running XP home SP3. Wireless adapter is INTEL PRO/Wireless 2200BG network connection, driver ver 9.0.4.39 updated today.

I have a wireless network and Linksys E1000 router. wife's laptop works fine wirelessly (mine used to until the other day). So I believe the router is fine.

My laptop recognizes the network, but wont connect. I get the message saying did not receive IP address. I run the manual diagnostic test and it failed the Ping Test. ????

I have reset the router to no avail. I did windows restore to an earlier date known to have worked - to no avail (so i un-did the restore).

In the network connections window, I've right clicked the wireless and clicked "Repair" but that didn't work either.

Im stumped on this one! which is normal for me because I can build them but can't trouble shoot, them go figure.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

My laptop just recently started not connecting.

Its a GQ ZX 5580, P1.6GHZ centrino, running XP home SP3. Wireless adapter is INTEL PRO/Wireless 2200BG network connection, driver ver 9.0.4.39 updated today.

I have a wireless network and Linksys E1000 router. wife's laptop works fine wirelessly (mine used to until the other day). So I believe the router is fine.

My laptop recognizes the network, but wont connect. I get the message saying did not receive IP address. I run the manual diagnostic test and it failed the Ping Test. ????

I have reset the router to no avail. I did windows restore to an earlier date known to have worked - to no avail (so i un-did the restore).

In the network connections window, I've right clicked the wireless and clicked "Repair" but that didn't work either.

Im stumped on this one! which is normal for me because I can build them but can't trouble shoot, them go figure.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Hi, Someone else will come along with the answer but in the mean time have you tried uninstalling the wireless card? Uninstall in the device manager, reboot, and if it doesn't re-install automatically re-install it yourself and see if that works.

If the others can access the internet, then we have to assume that the router is connected correctly.

Therefore it must be the settings on your computer. You should try the Internet connection Wizard from help. If you cannot do that, take a look at Internet explorer - Tools - Internet Options - Connections Tab - It should have 'never dial a connection' selected. Hit the Lan Settings button and select 'automatically detect settings'

Also - can you try to hard wire that laptop to the router just to see if you can connect?

Hi, Someone else will come along with the answer but in the mean time have you tried uninstalling the wireless card? Uninstall in the device manager, reboot, and if it doesn't re-install automatically re-install it yourself and see if that works.

I'll try that and let you know. I did update the driver tho.

Hi vettedude, welcome to the Pit :tup:

Have you tried setting your IP and gateway manually?

On your wife's computer, go to Start>Run then type: cmd

Click ok

In the black command box, type the following and then hit the Enter key: ipconfig /all

What are the numbers listed for her wireless connection?

It will read something like this:

Posted Image

We are interested in the IPv4 Address settings for the Wireless adapter

the Subnet Mask

and the Default Gateway.

This will give us the parameters to work with for your router and to set up your connection manually.

:) Y

I'll try that and let you know. I did update the driver tho.

I know you did update it but by uninstalling and re-installing you will reset everything. Also, as far as setting the I P manually, a great response from Y by the way, that won't fix your problem, only circumvent it. If your connection worked before it should work now. Just a thought, did your connection work AFTER you updated the driver or did it fail before you updated?

Obvious answer to your problem is the wireless card has failed. Get a suitable USB one, a Linksys one would be best to match router. Maybe you can replace the card in laptop?

Edited by roleo

Ok heres what I did:

It works wired to the router. But that only means the Lan port is working. not the wireless adapter.

To Chiefhoho - I cannot uninstall the the adapter, there isnt one. Its integrated in the mobo. the only thing I can do is uninstall the driver and re install. the driver was un installed / updated reinstalled after it stopped working.

IE connection wizard didn't help.

Now here's the odd part. after I had successfully connected to the internet thru the lan port wired to the router I was able to successfully connect WIRELESSLY . I even navigated a couple different web sites

wirelessly (and yes the cable was unplugged between the lanport and router. So then I took the computer upstairs and it wouldn't or couldn't connect. Now I'm thinking it might be a range issue

but its not that far away. when it was working i was about ten feet away. Upstairs is about maybe 75 feet unless you go directly thru the wall then its maybe 30 or 40 ft. So here's the next question:

Are there any range settings I can tweak?

Also, Y kawika - I have the IP address from when I was connected earlier. dont know if this will help. ???

I have the IP address from when I was connected earlier. dont know if this will help. ???

No, won't help since you were able to connect wirelessly, then this means that the DHCP service is functioning properly.

Did your lappy connect without problems previously from the distance that you mentioned?

The Linksys E1000 router runs a wireless N signal and should be able to bridge those distances easily.

Is your wife's wireless adapter an "N" series? Anything new in the house that may be creating interference ......cordless phones, microwaves, etc.?

:) Y