Sign in to follow this  
Lindsay

Missing Tests On Overdrive

When I run OverDrive, it does not test the 3D video or the disk fragmentation. Main board is a Winfast 760GXK8MC with an AMD Sempron 2800+. Built in graphics (SiS Mirage) is allocated 128MB of memory. In the performance test results, I get a '?' next to the disk fragmentation test and -1fps in the 3D test. Needless to say, I have not stopped either of these two tests.

:wp:

The SiS Mirage has enough memory for the test, but it does not support all of the 3D functions needed to run the test, so it is being skipped.

You can try running Windows Disk cleanup from Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Cleanup, and then click the 'More Options' tab to delete all but the most recent restore point, if you do not need them.

Once Disk Cleanup finishes, open Computer then right-click the Local Drive C:\ and select Properties>Tools>Error Checking>Check Now> put a checkmark in both boxes, click Start, then reboot.

When the disk check completes, try running OverDrive again and see if the disk test will complete.

If you using a third-party defragger, try defragging with the native Windows defragger, then run OverDrive aqgain and see if it can complete the disk scan.

Tried native and non-native defraggers, still no test. I also tried un-installing and re-installing the disk drive and IDE controller drivers, but OverDrive still won't test my hard drive. I have run 'Geeksnerds Drive Check' on my hard drive and it passes.

You can try running Windows Disk cleanup from Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Cleanup, and then click the 'More Options' tab to delete all but the most recent restore point, if you do not need them.

Once Disk Cleanup finishes, open Computer then right-click the Local Drive C:\ and select Properties>Tools>Error Checking>Check Now> put a checkmark in both boxes, click Start, then reboot.

When the disk check completes, go to Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Defragmenter and run teh defrag. Do not use Defraggler.

Once the defrag is done, try running OverDrive or DiskMD again and see if it will complete.

You may want to go to the hard drive manufacturer's website and download their free diagnostic tool and check that the hard drive health is OK.

For the Windows update, go to Start>Control Panel>Add/Remove programs and make sure there is a check mark by 'Show Updates' then scroll down to the updates and make sure that the first one in the list is showing an installation date.

I checked the Windows XP-software updates, and the first one on the list, Security Update for Windows XP (KB 913433) has no date next to it. The second update on the list is dated 24/5/2006.

Seagate/Maxtor SeaTools for Windows drive tester. S.M.A.R.T. check - Pass, Long Drive Self Test - Pass, Long Generic test - Pass. Disk MD still gets stuck at 50%! Could a faulty IDE ribbon cable cause Disk MD and OverDrive to fail, but not show up on the other disk testers?

If the first update on the list has no date that would explain why OverDrive cannot read a date for that test.

The only other thing I can think of to see why the disk test is failing would be to uninstall DiskMD, install PC Matic, run a scan, then generate a log file and open up a help desk ticket so that we can get a look at the log.

I think the guys at the help desk have abandoned me! I've heard nothing for more than 24 hours. I've tried three different testers on my hard drive, they all report a good drive, so I don't think there is anything physically wrong with it. It seems that OverDrive is just not seeing my hard drive at all. How does OverDrive gain access to the drive to check the fragmentation, does it use the XP defragger analyse function? I did have trouble a few weeks ago with the defragmenter not working, and had to re-install it, could this be a clue?

I think the guys at the help desk have abandoned me! I've heard nothing for more than 24 hours. I've tried three different testers on my hard drive, they all report a good drive, so I don't think there is anything physically wrong with it. It seems that OverDrive is just not seeing my hard drive at all. How does OverDrive gain access to the drive to check the fragmentation, does it use the XP defragger analyse function? I did have trouble a few weeks ago with the defragmenter not working, and had to re-install it, could this be a clue?

Here Lindsey try this link.

http://www.pcpitstop.com/store/service.asp