Sign in to follow this  
MrHappyGoLucky12

Is 8 Gb Memory Too Much?

Is 8 GB memory too much? I've read some sites that say buy as much memory as you can afford and fit in. Others say it's overkill. What are your thoughts? :snooze:

I moved your post out of the Virus/Spyware forum as it didn't seem to fit so well there with your question.

Are you using a 64 bit Operating System? Are you planning on doing any memory intensive tasks, such as video editing?

:) Y

What are your system specs?

If you are running 32bit then anything over 3-3.5 is wasted. (On a windows OS anyways)

I am running 6gb with an i7 chip and constantley max it out when rendereing HD video, but hey, what the point in having it, if you don't use it!!

I wouldn't say 8gb is overkill, it's a lot, but depending on what you use the PC for it's probably more than enough.

I moved your post out of the Virus/Spyware forum as it didn't seem to fit so well there with your question.

Are you using a 64 bit Operating System? Are you planning on doing any memory intensive tasks, such as video editing?

:) Y

Yes, I am using a 64-bit OS, but don't do any heavy video work.

As a minimum I advise people I build PC's for to go with 4gb even if they use 32bit (I always advise 64bit OS). This is more than enough for everyday use and memory wise will easily cope with editing music, playing with photo's and lght video editing (windows Moviemaker etc), 6gb is nice though.

Also you need to have a decent chip and a video card with at least 512mb onboard, for basic home use as built in MOB video will reduce the ammount of RAM available and will be noticible in a low end system.

Been awhile sense i posted on pcpitstop.. But figure i do it today:)

when i upgraded from 4gb too 8gb couple months ago the whole windows desktop and every program i used and games which is my main task benefit from it.

Everything just runs even smoother now.

And some games out there or most they really benefit from more memory because when i look at my task manger memory usage it shows im way over 4gbs of ram when running the games im playing. With 4gb it was spiking too 4gb but went down but problee because it toss it too page file and that was giving me bad performance.

I usely use like 2.5gbs and can almost be up too 4gbs just being on the windows desktop with Firefox tabs up and my usely daily programs running.

But ya for me it made a nice difference from 4 too 8gb. But im sure 4 too 6gb will be too, But if the memory was cheep which it was for me i would go all out and get 8gb:)

Oh and if you have 32bit windows than its not worth it sense it wont see or use that extra memory, I would advise too upgrade too 64bit if you can too get the full benefits of the memory.

Edited by gordesky1