Got a lovely present of a GTX 570 for christmas and I now have the GPU v3 system tray client up and running :) It's a little slow though, hfm is reporting only 11500 ppd on a p6806, and I'm sure these cards are capable of a little more than that? My gpu usage in evga precision is only showing as roughly 80% aswell so I'm wondering if there's something amiss.. If anyone is on on this lovely christmas morning that could help me out I'd really appreciate it :)

Ok, so killing off the cpu SMP client made the ppd jump about 3k! Now I have to figure out how to make them play ball together I guess! I had heard that fermi clients barely affected the cpu and vice-versa though so this is strange!

Start with the latest drivers available and make sure you have it set up properly. RAH says to put it in it's own folder as in C:\GPU1 and install to that folder. Make sure the "target" line in Properties has the -gpu 0 at the end and that the "start" line shows the above folder.

:geezer:

Ok, so killing off the cpu SMP client made the ppd jump about 3k! Now I have to figure out how to make them play ball together I guess! I had heard that fermi clients barely affected the cpu and vice-versa though so this is strange!

The Fermis actually need more cpu time than the earlier nVidia gpus. From the little I've seen (450 and 460), the higher the model number, the more cpu they need.

The Fermis don't require the systray client. You can use it if you prefer it. Like RAH, I run console clients.

To make them play nice together, set the SMP at "idle" priority and the systray GPU at "slightly higher" or the console GPU at "low". The second step is to run the SMP at # of cores minus 1 (a quad would be -smp 3). It slows down the SMP a little, but gives full resources to the GPU client, which is the main point-getter.

I just hope you aren't folding on a dual core. :unsure:

Edited by uncle fuzzy

Make sure you have the latest drop in exe

http://www.stanford.edu/~friedrim/[email protected]_systray

Dont forget to remove the systray before replacing it.

Im using the console version, GTS 450 = 9468 6806

Just downloaded that! I will check to see if that's causing the issue once the next WU is complete (just in case)

The Fermis actually need more cpu time than the earlier nVidia gpus. From the little I've seen (450 and 460), the higher the model number, the more cpu they need.

The Fermis don't require the systray client. You can use it if you prefer it. Like RAH, I run console clients.

To make them play nice together, set the SMP at "idle" priority and the systray GPU at "slightly higher" or the console GPU at "low". The second step is to run the SMP at # of cores minus 1 (a quad would be -smp 3). It slows down the SMP a little, but gives full resources to the GPU client, which is the main point-getter.

I just hope you aren't folding on a dual core. :unsure:

I've now checked and triple checked, and found that the cpu client makes no difference to the Gpu client. I've changed the priority to low for cpu and bumped it for gpu, switched off the cpu client entirely etc and it makes no difference whatsoever.

As for folding on a dual core, yup, that's where 90% of of ppd was coming from up until now! My e8600 at 4.5 will get 5k ppd if it's the only thing running, so it's not all that bad.

I'm inclined to believe it's not a cpu limitation as overclocking the card increases the ppd substantially (13k stock, 15k overclocked). I really am stumped now! Performance in games isn't wonderful either, I expected a much bigger jump coming from a 2900xt!:pullhair:

Edit: If someone could give me a few pointers on installing the console version it'd be great! I had tried it last night but was met with some error or other that I took to mean "Wrong client, idiot" :blushing:

Edited by bigchrome

NO problem BC. Just DL the console client from here:http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadWinOther

Bottom GPU client 6.23. Extract it in a folder (GPU), replace the exe file, and send to desttop or run it.

During set up , do not lock cpu cores to gpu.

new console client exe:http://www.stanford.edu/~friedrim/[email protected]_console

Thanks RAH! I set up the console but I get a constant loop of these:

[13:29:37] Calling fah_main args: 14 usage=100

[13:29:37]

[13:29:40] CoreStatus = 63 (99)

[13:29:40] + Error starting [email protected] core

Edit: And when i force the nvidia_fermi it says cudart...blah blah was not found on my system and shuts down!

Having done a bit of poking around I should be able to get 15k with the systray client regardless :(

Edited by bigchrome

You don't show the top of the logs. Which version of the client are you running? v6.23 will not work with a Fermi card, no matter what flags you add.

Check this thread, section 5 for download, and either 6 (systray) or 7 (console) for installing.

http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=15196

The cudart files you need are included in the zip download. If you had an existing GPU2 console client, you can use the zip download to upgrade what you have (section 8).

Ah ok, I had gotten the console version from RAHs link and I think it was 6.23! I have the one you suggested installed now, it's working and.... still 13k ppd. :(

Going to try a different windows install if I can get it to work again!

Edited by bigchrome

13K ain't bad. I can hit 11.5K on a heavily OCd 460, so it might be right for your current clocks.

I guess it's not that bad! Just everything I've seen has suggested 15k is more like it! I guess I'll just give it a rest on trying to fix it after trying a different OS as it's killing the new hardware enjoyment :P

Just OC it some more. This weekend I'm putting my Q on an XFX 750i, and trying out 450/250 until I get another 450.

Never used a nvidia board before, hope they OC ok. My experience is limited to Soyo, Abit, Asus. All intel boards.

I'll be looking for help advice, from you pros.

Then I'll put my E6300 on the P5Q pro. I know it will go over 4 on air.

Anyone ever use one of these, can't afford full water.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835227006

Update on BigChrome's issue. Tried the card in my PC and it still gets the same PPD. That PC had a 470 in it pushing 14.5-15K at 750 core so at worst his should have been close to that. There's obviously something wrong with it Posted Image

Also, in case you're wondering why I haven't been folding, my CPU and GPU are stable seperately but they crash when I fold on both after 1 to 26 hours, I'm guessing it's something to do with the on-processor PCI-e controller and have been trying to figure out how to fix it Posted Image It seems stable and is folding but it's probably not, the time it got 26 hours of stability and then crashed means I'm not optimistic Posted Image

Update on BigChrome's issue. Tried the card in my PC and it still gets the same PPD. That PC had a 470 in it pushing 14.5-15K at 750 core so at worst his should have been close to that. There's obviously something wrong with it Posted Image

Also, in case you're wondering why I haven't been folding, my CPU and GPU are stable seperately but they crash when I fold on both after 1 to 26 hours, I'm guessing it's something to do with the on-processor PCI-e controller and have been trying to figure out how to fix it Posted Image It seems stable and is folding but it's probably not, the time it got 26 hours of stability and then crashed means I'm not optimistic Posted Image

Yeah, start another thread and we'll see if we can help you out. Gotta list all your settings like RAH said tho'...

:geezer:

I just oc the hell out of them, then drop back a little. My gts450 850/1700 is @ 970/1850 stable with A3 smp also.

I like evga presicision better, though you do have voltge conftrol with msi on some cards.

Just folding on the cpu only at the moment to make sure that's not at fault, I'll start a new thread when I'm 100% sure the CPU and graphics card are stable as separate entities. I just thought I'd post my i3's ppd in response to Fuzzy's comment on dual cores. It approximately equals the q6600 at 3.6 I had before it which really surprised me and shows that, while they aren't as good as current quads at folding, they'renot useless folders and can certainly contribute to the cause. Now if only I could get it stable at 4.6 with the card folding as well Posted Image

8750PPD on a 6073 WU anyway. I got this as a gaming rig as well though, not just for folding Posted Image I'd agree that for a dedicated folding rig it's worthwhile to upgrade to an i5 or better (well, not right now, with sandybridge and all)

Posted Image