Sign in to follow this  
EmmaCurtis

Iomega External Hard Drive Needs Formatting

Hi

I have an iomega external hard drive which has music files and photographs on that cannot be replaced. This has been working fine until now.. I plug in my laptop usb and it comes up with a message saying that this drive needs formatting before use.. I am a complete novice but to my understanding if I do this it will delete all my files on the HD

I needs some advice as this HD belonged to my brother who recently passed away and so this is very important to me not to mess up.. I cannot afford to pay a lot of money to sort this out so if anyone has any solutions I would be grateful.. needs to be in plain english as well please

Many thanks in advance

Emma x

Good morning and :wp: Ms Curtis,

Are you able to disregard the warning and view the files?

Unfortunately no matter how I try i cannot view the files. If I try to auto play or browse files it tells me the drive is not accessable the parameters are incorrect or that it does not hold the correct file format

OK, what operating system are you using on your computer?

OK, try it like this. Connect the drive and make sure it's powered on then reboot the machine. If it tells you that it wants to run check disk on it @ boot, please allow it to.

If it doesn't, we'll try a different approach.

I have the hard drive plugged in on boot and no message comes up immediatly.. eventually it says the disk needs to be formatted before use.. when I go to my computer it shows as disk G.. but in devices it comes up as the iomega HD but still cannot access either way .. have tried it in all usb ports.. (thank you for your help btw)

Tried to do this but it says windows cannot access the disk

Does it give you this screen/error?

Posted Image

cant see this image sorry

Sorry, how about now?

Posted Image

First off, my condolences for the loss of your brother, and second, yes, you are correct, if you format the disk, you will lose the contents of the drive.

I'm not sure if it matters or not, but was your brother also using a Windows Computer, or possibly a Macintosh?

With the iomega disk plugged in to your laptop, go to the following location:

Start> Control Panel> System and Security> Administrative Tools

Now click on: Create and format hard disk partitions

Is the Iomega listed there? What information is given with regard to the drive.

Does it have a letter? Is it formatted as NTFS?

Welcome to the Pit, I hope we can get this resolved for you.

:) Y

Thank you for your condolences...

i have done as suggested and its saying its 232.88 gb RAW Healthy (active Primary partition)

Im also concerned as it says it has 232.88 free..

Download and install the free Easeus Data Recovery Software.

Create a folder on your computer that will be easy to find and name it iomegafiles.

Start the Easeus Data Recovery Program and Run the Data Recovery Wizard. Choose the "RAW file recovery" option.

When the files are found, move them all to the newly created iomegafiles folder that you created earlier.

Raw File Recovery

Data Recovery Wizard Free Edition can recover files from cases of deleted, missing / lost files and corrupt or missing drive where file system is severely corrupted or destroyed.

You should use RAW File Recovery option in following cases:

File system data structures of a drive have suffered serious corruption or overwriting and data recovery software cannot scan such drives.

Deleted File Recovery, Complete Recovery, Partition Recovery cannot locate missing / lost files and folders.

Files were deleted "long back" and cannot be identified because of over-writing to file system data structures.

Recently deleted files are not recovered because of severe fragmentation. This is a common problem in FAT file system drives. RAW file recovery can discover such deleted files and folders from the temporary copies created by the application software and/or the operating system.

RAW File Recovery scans every sector of your storage media for the lost files that you wish to recover and displays them in a tree according to the file type. The software scans the drive in RAW mode and can locate the files without the aid of file system data structures.

You can get the utility here: http://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizard/free-data-recovery-software.htm#1

Hope it works for you. :tup:

:) Y

Does the drive have its own power supply, or is it simply plugged into a usb port which provides the power?

Hi all. I have the exact same problem as above, and nothing has worked. I really need to be able to recover my files as I need them for work.

I just had the same problem on one of my 3 external LaCie hard drives. Nothing I did could recover the files....if I was able to run anything on the drive. The drive started doing that on a hard power shutdown..(power went off in the whole building for a few minutes) Upon restarting my computer...that one drive was slow to respond...almost like a hung browser page. The drive was then listed as "raw" format. Nothing I tried worked to recover the files. I even used a Ubuntu Live CD. Windows continued wanting to format the drive for me....so I said ok...let's format it.....NOT..Windows would not format the drive....it would act like it was formatting but it would end in a error...to "try again" or "the disk is inaccessable". That drive is now sitting on a shelf...not used. I know my post don't help your problem but I feel your pain! Sorry.

Caintry..that's about the only thing I haven't tried. I just used the drive as a backup drive....one of 3 that I use to back up the same files.....Never can be too safe! I downloaded Diskdigger and I will try it when I'm not so busy...I'll let you know how it turns out.

Caintry..that's about the only thing I haven't tried. I just used the drive as a backup drive....one of 3 that I use to back up the same files.....Never can be too safe! I downloaded Diskdigger and I will try it when I'm not so busy...I'll let you know how it turns out.

If the drive is recognized, run the "Deep Scan"...

:geezer: