Change Mode

Defrag Test Result

bjt

hi,

have just upgraded from vista to win 7 ultimate.

before upgrading i carried out all the recommended tasks including a defrag using 'distrix defragger'.

after the install (which went without any problems) i did another defrag.

i then did the pcpitstop test, only to find that the only problem was a 'high fragmentation' issue!

any ideas why this should happen?

cheers,

bjt.

Edited by bjt

Your description of the issue indicates that the fragmentation is most likely in the Windows restore points.

You can either run Windows Disk Cleanup and delete all but the last restore point, or, if necessary, turn off System Restore, reboot and defrag, then turn System Restore back on (and be sure to manually create a new restore point in Windows 7) and you should see improvement.

Your description of the issue indicates that the fragmentation is most likely in the Windows restore points.

You can either run Windows Disk Cleanup and delete all but the last restore point, or, if necessary, turn off System Restore, reboot and defrag, then turn System Restore back on (and be sure to manually create a new restore point in Windows 7) and you should see improvement.

thanks for that,

i performed a disc cleanup before upgrading, but, will try your other option of turning off system restore etc.

i'll let you know how i got on.

cheers,

bjt.

well,

did as you suggested, and it worked! thanks for that.

what did surprise me though was the amount of space that system restore had used, 10.5 gigabytes!!!

it was set at 15%, so reduced that down to 3% but think that even that could be too high.

i set a new restore point which took up 64.3mb. i'll make sure i keep an eye on that more often.

thanks again,

bjt.