Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Signman

Microsoft Security Essentials

I got around to putting this on one of my laptops over the weekend after uninstalling AVG free and have ran into something strange. When running ...it doesn't show up in the system tray like it should. I'm running it on a Sony Vaio laptop fully patched and updated Windows XP. I've installed it on several other pc's without any problems. I googled the "missing icon" and have tried everything I found. Nothing seems to work. It is running in processes and when the desktop icon is clicked it is showing to be up to date and protecting computer. It's no biggie...just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem.

Jacee, I did see that thread at the microsoft forum. I also tried everything offered here in another thread there. I just thought of stopping the MSSE process and restarting the process..maybe another reboot.I may try to reinstall it for the 4th time and see if that works after running the AVG tool. I have MSSE installed on 3 other XP systems, a Vista system and a Windows 7 Starter Edition without any problems. Thanks for that AVG tool.

Let me know ... it might be a shell:startup problem. This worked for Windows 7, but not sure about XP

Make a shortcut of MSE on the desktop. Then type shell:startup into the Start/search field and hit Enter. That brings up the startup folder. Drag the MSE shortcut into that folder and close the folder, reboot

I was going to download the AVG tool when I got home yesterday....much to my surprise when I booted up my laptop, the missing icon was there! Don't know what happened...it just appeared. I proceeded to make a restore point just in case. For now it is working as it should. Thanks Jacee.