Change Mode

No Hard Drive Space

Btuvi

My cousin has various viris problems but before he can do anything about it he needs to find some missing hard drive space. His computer is set up with him as administrator with 5 or 6 other users (who rarely use computer). He cannot download anything because he is told he doesn't have enough free space. When he checks he shows kb instead of mb - that's how low he is. However, he has 80gigs of hard drive and even with all users realistically cannot have use more than 20gb.

What's going on and how do we fix it?

Thanks

TFC will clean out the temp folders ... download TFC by Old Timer http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/TFC-Temp-File-Cleaner-OldTimer-file187.html and save it to your desktop.

Save any unsaved work. TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!

Double-click on TFC.exe to run it. If you are using Vista/Windows 7 right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator.

Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process and let it run uninterrupted to completion.

Important! If TFC prompts you to reboot, please do so immediately. If not prompted, manually reboot the machine anyway to ensure a complete clean.

***TFC (Temp File Cleaner) will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder. It also cleans out the %systemroot%\temp folder and checks for .tmp files in the %systemdrive% root folder, %systemroot%, and the system32 folder (both 32bit and 64bit on 64bit OSs). It shows the amount removed for each location found (in bytes) and the total removed (in MB). Before running, it will stop Explorer and all other running apps. When finished, if a reboot is required the user must reboot to finish clearing any in-use temp files.

We have done anything and everything we could think of to do to clean up space and have had some modest success. However, that means that we now have 25% free space of 60 gigs. My feeling is that the space is available somewhere. This is based on my expectation that the average user would have difficulty using so much space even over the course of 4 - 5 years. Likely I'm wrong about this so if you have any ideas or suggestions I'll be happy to follow them.

This computer does have about 61 processes running by the way which is way to many.

If you don't know some programs listed in msconfig, or unsure if they are needed or not, leave them enabled, or use RubberDucky's StartUpLite

This will display all unnecessary startup entries - so actually, everything it displays there is not necessary to start up with Windows.

The choice is up to you whether you need some to start up with Windows (in that case, select "No action" for them) - but you can always start them manually via start > all programs.

(Do not choose the "Remove" checkboxes, because this will delete it from the Registry - only select the "Remove" checkboxes if you are sure you don't want to enable them again in the future)

===================================================================

Archived