Sign in to follow this  
MarkWheatley

Windows Security Alert

I had anti virus software which I took off my computer and I am now running the Exterminate - Anti-Spyware, Anti-Malware, Anti-Virus product as part of the PC Matic programs.

I have a few questions.

1. Do I need anti virus software in addition to the Exterminate product?

2. Why does windows vista not recognise/see the Exterminate program in the security centre?

3. Is there anyway I can get vista to recognise it?

Help would be appreciated.

Hi Mark and :wp:

While PC Matic does contain anti-virus and anti-malware scanners, unfortunately they don't protect in "real time" like a traditional program would. I would recommend that you get one on your PC ASAP, especially if you're going to use it on the internet.

Microsoft has an offering that's actually quite effective and it's free(that's a great price :P ). Avast has a good freebie and Avira also has an offering a well. All three are great and offer good protection. My preference is for the Microsoft one since it integrates well, it's effective and is very unintrusive, which is a major plus for me.

Should you chose Avira, which is a superb program, it comes with a caveat. When it auto updates the virus definitions, it also displays a splash screen, or pop up if you will, that's an ad for their paid version. It can be disabled but it can moderately difficult to do depending on which way you choose. When I learned how, there was only the difficult way. :)

http://www.zhacks.com/2010/03/25/disable-avira-10-popup-notifier-splash-screen/ <--The easy way.

The "tool" to disable the splash screen.

And just in case you might be concerned about the "tool" being infected, I uploaded and scanned it @ Virus Total for you.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/11/13/remove-or-disable-avira-free-antivir-upgrade-to-premium-popup-ad-notifier-

nag-screen-avnotify/ <--The difficult way(s).

Tx

Edited by Tx Redneck

The first release of PC Matic Real-time is going live today.

Currently, customers with expiration dates after September 2012, when they first run PC Matic, will be asked if they want to install PC Matic RT. (PC Matic RT should be available for all users in the very near future.) If they select yes, PC Matic RT will (in the background) automatically be installed. Once it starts running the protected Icon will turn green.

PC Matic Real-time works along side PC Matic, to protect the user from malware he/she might attempt to run, at the time they try to run it, as opposed to scanning after the fact, as does our malware scanner.

The real-time software will display in whichever language has been selected by PC Matic. Currently, if you change the language in PC Matic, you would need to restart PC Matic Real-time for it to reload the updated language.

The dialog boxes for allowing or blocking application execution will only be shown if the user is attempting to run something thought to be malware.

We are currently doing the necessary work and testing to be added to the Microsoft recognized vendors list.

Thanks for that information.

Am I correct in my understanding that when the real time product is running there is no need to have another anti virus product loaded?

The first release of PC Matic Real-time is going live today.

Currently, customers with expiration dates after September 2012, when they first run PC Matic, will be asked if they want to install PC Matic RT. (PC Matic RT should be available for all users in the very near future.) If they select yes, PC Matic RT will (in the background) automatically be installed. Once it starts running the protected Icon will turn green.

PC Matic Real-time works along side PC Matic, to protect the user from malware he/she might attempt to run, at the time they try to run it, as opposed to scanning after the fact, as does our malware scanner.

The real-time software will display in whichever language has been selected by PC Matic. Currently, if you change the language in PC Matic, you would need to restart PC Matic Real-time for it to reload the updated language.

The dialog boxes for allowing or blocking application execution will only be shown if the user is attempting to run something thought to be malware.

We are currently doing the necessary work and testing to be added to the Microsoft recognized vendors list.

That will depend on how many layers of protection are desirable for you personally, but PC Matic RT is all that I have been using since the intial testing and to date it has been 100% adequate as far as stopping anything from getting installed without a warning. If anything does manage to get by, which has not yet happened in all of our testing, then the PC Matic scan, detect, and remove function should eliminate any issues.