* Thu, Jan 20, openSUSE 11.4 Milestone 6 release

* Thu, Feb 10, openSUSE 11.4 RC 1 release

* Fri, Feb 25, openSUSE 11.4 RC 2 release

* Thu, Mar 03, openSUSE 11.4 Goldmaster

* Thu, Mar 10, openSUSE 11.4 Public Release

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The x86_64 dvd iso is too large for a dvd, they know this and it will be remedied by RC1.

All other disks are working as expected.

If you want a full installation use the net.iso image. It works just fine, I used it to install milestone 6 on my laptop.

• 4 weeks later...

Got the RC2 running now ... KDE 4.6 It's working quite good. A couple of the things bugging me in 11.3 seem to be fixed. Using the open source ATI driver and it seems ok so far.

I have been running it since about an hour after it hit the download mirrors.

I haven't had any problems with it all.

Of course I have no issues with 11.3 either but then I have been running KDE 4.6 on my machine since that was released.

Both run equally well.

The only things I don't like is the fact that they are using kpackage for the taskbar updater now and they have put pulse I broke my sound audio back into KDE..

Never liked it. Not sure why they have a need to change the updater every couple of years. It works, it works well, I don't see the need to switch to something inferior.

I even despise pulseaudio even more and promptly removed it. That leaves the far superior and much more stable alsa in its place.

Other then those two things I have no issues.

Of course those are just "preferences for me. I like stable and reliable over new and broken :P

Don't know about pulse but phonon is causing trouble with Amarok. Not worried about it really, Clementine works great.

The two problems I had with 11.3 were #1) not being able to "easily" get proprietary ATI drivers installed. Using the open source ones atm. Seems fine so far. #2) boot screen showing up on tv instead of pc monitor which was a real pain if I wanted to boot into an os other than the default. It looks like it's fixed.

Add the packman repo. Install xine-codecs, while there uninstall pulse audio.

Then set your sound in the desktop settings mulitmedia to use xine engine instead of the crap gstreamer. Fire Amarok back up and you should be good.

The problem is pulseaudio. removing it, installing xine and switching phonon to use xine will get ya going.

not trying to raise hell or anything, but this has happened to a lot of folks around here, friends, family, customers.

in fact, they now know how to edit resolv.conf, they are so good at it, i don't get anymore calls about it :lol:

Add the packman repo. Install xine-codecs, while there uninstall pulse audio.

Then set your sound in the desktop settings mulitmedia to use xine engine instead of the crap gstreamer. Fire Amarok back up and you should be good.

The problem is pulseaudio. removing it, installing xine and switching phonon to use xine will get ya going.

Something I don't usually do is download the live cd and install from there. That's what I did this time. Added Packman looked for and went to install xine-codecs but had a dependency issue. libcdio.so.10 wasn't available. Grabbed it off RPM search and installed it. libxine1-codecs was installed as part of the package. Amarok is working fine :) Edited by Carlton

Glad you got it working.

The full packman repositories are now available and populated for 11.4

There are now 4 packman repositories, no longer just one.

Essentials (codecs)

http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/packman/suse/openSUSE_11.4/Essentials/

Multimedia (multimedia apps)

http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/packman/suse/openSUSE_11.4/Multimedia/

Extras (everything else)

http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/packman/suse/openSUSE_11.4/Extra/

Games (useless junk ) Just my opinion. :P

http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/packman/suse/openSUSE_11.4/Games/

Edited by Bruce

The GoldMaster Release is ummm available on certain mirrors. :tup:

I am downloading via Ktorrent right now.

Also if you have RC2 installed you can run zypper up and then zypper dup and it will download everything and to be the Goldmaster release.

I did upgrade on my laptop through yast already to GM release and will do the same on my desktop as soon as my download finishes. I just don't want to do a dist upgrade in the middle of a download :P

Edited by Bruce

Also if you have RC2 installed you can run zypper up and then zypper dup and it will download everything and to be the Goldmaster release.

couldn't this be done with the previous release?

If you mean upgrade from 11.3 to 11.4 I wouldn't recommend it. In that case I would recommend a clean install.

i never recommend anyone "upgrade" from one major version to a new version.