Laptop Restarts After It Goes To The 'windows' Screen

My laptop has been restarting for no 'apparent' reason for about a week now. I'm on my friend's computer at the moment trying to find out how to fix it.

This is what it does:

1. I turn on the power button.

2. The computer says that the last time it worked it was shut down improperly ... so I either need to "start Windows normally" or "start windows in safe mode" etc.

I've tried safe mode, starting it normally ... all the restarting buttons, but they all go to the Windows logo screen, and then the laptop restarts itself. I can go to BIOS and things like that - but I'm not sure what I would change in that to fix the problem.

Any help? Or suggestions?

Thank you!

if the issue occurs when you choose safe mode, the issue could likely be hardware related. what is the make and model of the computer?

It's a Gateway. When I go into safe mode it just brings me back to the "start windows normally" and "Safe mode" options again. I can go intp BIOS and BOOT settings though ... maybe I need to change something there?

Hi...

I had the same problem on this tower PC that was given to me, the one I'm using now. It turned out to be a memory issue. When the PC was disconnected from the mains and the case removed, it was apparent the one of the memory cards wasn't sitting properly. On removing both, then reinserting all was well.

This came to my attention from the images below...

Before

Posted Image

After

Posted Image

Regards

El Tel

Hi...

I had the same problem on this tower PC that was given to me, the one I'm using now. It turned out to be a memory issue. When the PC was disconnected from the mains and the case removed, it was apparent the one of the memory cards wasn't sitting properly. On removing both, then reinserting all was well.

This came to my attention from the images below...

Before

Posted Image

After

Posted Image

Regards

El Tel

Could also be a windows update that may have installed that went astray that is causing a problem. Do any windows updates lately? Like service Pack 3? That seriously screwed up my girlfriends compaq and threw it in the same loop. I did manage to get it to a point though where I could roll it back with system restore before service pack 3 and all was well again. But sometimes event he small windows updates can cause weird things to happen. SOmething to look at also. If you have the cd's for the operating system, try to do a repair install and see if that can at least get you back up with booting off the cd.

Could also be a windows update that may have installed that went astray that is causing a problem. Do any windows updates lately? Like service Pack 3? That seriously screwed up my girlfriends compaq and threw it in the same loop. I did manage to get it to a point though where I could roll it back with system restore before service pack 3 and all was well again. But sometimes event he small windows updates can cause weird things to happen. SOmething to look at also. If you have the cd's for the operating system, try to do a repair install and see if that can at least get you back up with booting off the cd.

I think the problem with my laptop was that I was actually not updating it. My sister said before it started doing this, the computer had been wanting her to update something for about 2 weeks.

safe mode works fine without updates...i'm pretty sure your issue is hardware related.

i'm not positive, but gateway probably has a laptop diagnostics that you can run. i would check with them.

my main suspect would be the hard drive.

Edited by badbinary
  • 5 weeks later...

Run a hard drive test in the BIOS. If it passes..it sounds like Windows needs repaired.

If you have a desktop, attach the laptop's hard drive as a secondary (slave) and boot to the desktop's hard drive. Then you can run chkdsk to repair Windows..

Or, if you have the Windows OS CD... you can boot to that and run a repair..

Hope this helps.

If the machine could boot into SAFE Mode, you could run CHKDSK /r from a Command Prompt and then reboot, which will sometimes sort the MBR in the process of also checking and repairing disk sectors.

But as BadBinary suggests, it sounds like a more serious failure of hardware, since you can't even boot into SAFE Mode (possibly the Hard Drive)

You may be able to do at least a temporary patch-work fix if the problem is indeed a failing Hard Drive.

Go here to create a Recovery Console CD:

http://artellos.com/arcdc-page

Once you have the Recovery Console which matches appropriately to your version of Windows...

Change in BIOS to boot from Optical Drive

Once in Recovery Console, (type) in the command line: CHKDSK /r - press enter

Allow CHKDSK to run to completion, it may take quite a while according the size of your Hard Drive.

Once CHKDSK has completed, remove the CD and Reboot.

Let us know how it goes for you.

Note: The Hard Drive may still be failing and you would be well advised to replace it after saving any important documents and media.

My laptop has been restarting for no 'apparent' reason for about a week now ... all the restarting buttons, but they all go to the Windows logo screen, and then the laptop restarts itself.

This often occurs when a poorly written or incompatable driver is installed, and occasionally when a driver is updated; some Windows updates have also caused this problem.

First, however, let's rule out file system problems, as well as the most common hardware problems, faulty RAM and failing hard disk.

Boot from a Windows XP installation CD (see the note below if you don't have the CD).  At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to load the recovery console.  Type the number of the installation you want to repair (usually "1").  Type the Administrator account's password and press Enter; or if no password is set, just press Enter.

Type CHKDSK /R and press Enter to detect and repair many types of errors.  When done, type EXIT and press Enter to restart.

If the hard disk is identified in BIOS by model (or better yet, manufacturer as well), or you can determine this information by other means, obtain the manufacturer's diagnostic tools from their website.  If the make and model is unknown, use the SMART and generic tests available in Seagate's SeaTools for DOS, bootable CD version.  Create the CD using the ISO image.

www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools

Memory can be tested using Microsoft's Windows Memory Diagnostic.  Download and run the program, and use the "Save CD image" function to extract the ISO file. As with Seatools, burn the ISO as a CD image.

---------------------------------------------

If both RAM and hard disk appear good, then a software problem remains as most likely.  Resolving the issue requires manually replacing the Registry files with backups archived by System Restore.  Microsoft discusses the repair procedure, in a quite detailed fashion, in the article How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting.

---------------------------------------------

If you don't have an XP CD to use the recovery console, download RC.ISO and burn it to a CD as a disk image.  Use the CD as you would the XP CD (only the R option will work).