Hello all...

My computer all of a sudden will not connect to the internet, but I noticed that my wife's will with no problem and we both use the same connection on a hub.

I bought a new ethernet cable and that wasn't it, so I called my internet provider for tech support and it came down to the (fact?) that my ethernet connection is at fault and I was advised that if my ethernet port is attached to the motherboard, then I will most likely have to get a new motherboard.... OR I get get an "external ethernet" connection?

Is that the proper name and where would I find one and what do you suggest?

Thank you much for any and all assistance.

-Clay-

If it is a faulty ethernet port, why do you not get a new pci card?

Have you checked in device manager to see if you current ethernet port is showing a warning or if the device is enabled?

Is there any flashing yellow/green lights on the back of the pc where the ethernet cable plugs in?

What O/S are you using?

Is it a laptop or a desk top?

Maybe with a little more info a resolution will come quicker :geezer:

Remember, like you we are mere PC users and have day jobs!!

Edited by nigsy

If it is a faulty ethernet port, why do you not get a new pci card?

Have you checked in device manager to see if you current ethernet port is showing a warning or if the device is enabled?

Is there any flashing yellow/green lights on the back of the pc where the ethernet cable plugs in?

What O/S are you using?

Is it a laptop or a desk top?

Maybe with a little more info a resolution will come quicker :geezer:

Remember, like you we are mere PC users and have day jobs!!

Haha Touche'!

I have not checked my device manager, GREAT idea that I did not think of. I will do that now!

The only light on back is that of the power source and that is on.

I have a desktop. The O/S is Windows

PCI card, thank you. That is the term lingo I was looking for..... hopefully I do not have to get one.

Haha Touche'!

I have not checked my device manager, GREAT idea that I did not think of. I will do that now!

The only light on back is that of the power source and that is on.

I have a desktop. The O/S is Windows

PCI card, thank you. That is the term lingo I was looking for..... hopefully I do not have to get one.

Okay, I went to the location: IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers and then went to ATA channels and Standard duel channel PCI IDE controllers and all of them stated "This device is working properly"

Did I go to the right place?

The thing is, anytime I try to connect to the internet it says that no connection can be found.

Very frustrating indeed :P

Wrong place-

You need Device Manager > Network Controllers - you are looking for a yellow warning triangle or when you open the device it says disabled.

I would also try a different ethernet cable (I know you have a new one) - Just to rule that out.

New PCI cards are fairly cheap:

PCI Card

:tup:

Wrong place-

You need Device Manager > Network Controllers - you are looking for a yellow warning triangle or when you open the device it says disabled.

I would also try a different ethernet cable (I know you have a new one) - Just to rule that out.

New PCI cards are fairly cheap:

PCI Card

:tup:

Well, I checked as you suggested and Yes, there was a small yellow triangle on the "6T04 Adapter" and once chosen it said "This device cannot start (Code 10)"

So, should I go ahead and order a new PCI ethernet port?

Thanks a bunch for you help Nigsy!

Don't spend any money yet, it could be just drivers.

Install & run this:

Everest Home Edition

Open Network and click on windows network.

You should now see the the link to the driver for your installed card.

Download the driver.

Go to device manager > network controllers > find your non working device > click update drivers and point it to where you have saved the file.

See if this works.

Don't spend any money yet, it could be just drivers.

Install & run this:

Everest Home Edition

Open Network and click on windows network.

You should now see the the link to the driver for your installed card.

Download the driver.

Go to device manager > network controllers > find your non working device > click update drivers and point it to where you have saved the file.

See if this works.

Didn't work Nigsy. I have Vista and wasn't able to select "network controllers" without "connecting" which I cannot do.

So I will wait for the new ethernet card, hopefully no issues arise.

Well, I checked as you suggested and Yes, there was a small yellow triangle on the "6T04 Adapter" and once chosen it said "This device cannot start (Code 10)"

So, should I go ahead and order a new PCI ethernet port?

Thanks a bunch for you help Nigsy!

Do you have anything else under Network Adapters in the device manager?

6TO4 Adapter is not the Network Card. According to Microsoft it can be ignored even though it has an exclamation mark next to it.