Sign in to follow this  
Carlton

Mac Address Filtering

Just wondering, any of you use mac address filtering on your routers?

I used to, but since moving and there are no wireless networks in the area I don't bother any longer.

Edited by Bruce

Sure do.

Have a Lynksys WAG160n on WEP with MAC filtering on.

Had to go with WEP as PS3 and Windows7 seemed to have a problem with each other using WPA (No issue with Ubuntu or XP), so added MAC filtering as an additional layer of security.

Waste of time, you'll have to manually update the list for all of your devices and it won't stop anyone who is willing to spend 10 minutes Googling how to get in.

Every packet sent from your computer contains your MAC address unencrypted (even if you use encryption). All someone has to do to break into your network is use one of the many widely available tools to figure out what your MAC address is, and then they're in. It wouldn't be hard to write a script that does this automatically. :)

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/ou/the-six-dumbest-ways-to-secure-a-wireless-lan/43

WEP can also be broken by automated tools, but it's better than nothing if your devices don't support WPA.

* I live in the suburbs. I guess if you lived in the country this kind of thing might not be a big of a concern...

nothing will stop an expert but it will stop 99.9% of computer users, and will definitely stop the average user living next door, so is not a waste of time especially when used with fixed ip's. ;)

:b33r:

Edited by terry1966

nothing will stop an expert but it will stop 99.9% of computer users, and will definitely stop the average user living next door, so is not a waste of time especially when used with fixed ip's. ;)

:b33r:

MAC address filtering and disabling DHCP is a lot of work for you (you have to manually add MAC addresses to the ACL, you have to manually assign and keep track of IP addresses) with little gain. Your neighbors don't have to be "expert hackers" to defeat either of the schemes.

YMMV depending upon where you live and what devices you have, but WPA support has been around awhile and is usually just a matter of updating your software so you might as well use it if you've got it.

Just because you think it's unlikely someone is going to break into your network doesn't mean that they won't. It doesn't take any kind of hacking to defeat MAC filtering, the attacker literally can just use a tool like airsnort to sniff some traffic from your ESSID and then they can use another command line command (depends on the platform, I think there is something like "macchange" for Linux) to change their MAC address.

What I mean by "scripts could be written to do this automatically" is basically something like this. :P

Posted Image

Thanks folks. Lots of wifi around here. Mostly secure WEP but the odd unsecured network. Decided to put on MAC address filtering. Can't hurt.