Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tom94022

Disinterested Tech Support - Optimize3 Bug

Recommended Posts

After installing Optimize3 on two machines, a Pentium4 Desktop and a 386 Laptop, both running Windows XP Pro SP3 with the latest Microsoft updates, I ran into a bug on both machines in downloading files. The download would start but not complete. The bug appeared in both IE and Firefox. It occurred at two different download sites and with two different file types - pdf's from www.Pat2Pdf.com and a FireFox plugin from www.garmin.com.

 

In both cases when I restored my registry settings using the "Restore Settings" button of the Optimize3 Options tab the problem went away and I downloaded from both sites on both machines.

 

Tech support's response, "We are unable to reproduce the issue, nor can I find any similar reports." So they refunded my money and disabled the software. PC Pitstop purports to be the experts in optimizing Windows machines so It is incredible to me that they are uninterested in resolving such a reproducible bug. There are 56 suspect fixes/tweaks which could be isolated to one using a binary search process in a relatively short time. I was willing to work with the tech support folks but they seemed much more interested in closing the case than in finding the problem.

 

If this is the level of support they give then I would be dubious of any support on any of their products

 

Tom

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:wp:

 

We apologize for any problems you may have experienced with the use of our products or our support team. However, you did state in your help desk exchange that a refund was an acceptable option. We spent quite a bit of time trying to reproduce the 'bug' on several different computers and were unable to do so, nor did a search of our tickets find any other reports. We cannot fix what we cannot reproduce and one report of a problem out of 600,000 installations does not qualify as a 'bug'. The binary search process is useless if we cannot reproduce the issue. If you are interested we can have the Optimize developer review your ticket when he returns.

 

Thank You for trying our product we hope we can do business with you again in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem was first reported on or about July 12th. On July 13th @ 4:57 PM I wrote to Tech Support:

"Can't u figure out which ones [of your 66 tweaks] are likely to be the problem and I'll try to not install them and see what happens?

Otherwise I'll take the refund."

 

On July 13th @ 5:51 PM PC Pitstop refunded the order and canceled my subscription.

 

Note: The total number of tweaks proposed by Optimize3 is 66, I added them incorrectly in my first posting.

 

Tech support never requested my log - I sent it to them at 3:37 PM on July 13th. The only request made of me was that I uninstall and reinstall Adobe, which seems irrelevant to the problem since it appeared in downloading a Firefox plug-in.

 

From my perspective this does not look like "quite a bit of time" was spent to resolve this file download bug in Optimize3. And it is hard for me to accept that any serious attempt was made to duplicate the problem since my log only arrived at PC Pitstop at 3:37 PM and the order was canceled by 5:51 PM. Since this is apparently a low frequency bug, it probably has something to do with my installation and may be difficult to reproduce. But in my experience, such low frequency bugs are very instructive and I would have expected a better attempt to isolate it on my machine. Finally, the attitude that 2 reported problems in 600,000 installations means this is not a bug is rather short sighted - sounds like Toyota and sudden acceleration.

 

Yes I would like your developer to review the ticket and I am perfectly willing to work with him/her to resolve the bug.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was not necessary to have a log file to attempt to reproduce the issue. The same tweaks are suggested or implemented for every XP SP3 computer, only specific to whether or not Firefox is detected.

 

Five separate computers with XP SP3, Firefox, and Internet Explorer that have been optimized numerous times with Optimize 3.0 were used to download the Firefox plug-in from Garmin without any issue.

 

Then various PDF's ranging in size from 73MB up to 631MB were also downloaded with these computers without incident using both Firefox and Internet Explorer. The indication is that there is a 'catalyst factor' that is specific and unique to your computers having the issue that is interacting with one of the Optimize 3.0 changes.

 

Your ticket has been escalated to the Optimize developer. He will not be available to look at the issue until some time next week.

 

Your license key has been reinstated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to the help of Dave Methvin we've isolated the problem to the TcpWindowSize parameter in Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\System\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\Tcpip\\Parameters. The ancient firewall on my LAN apparently does not support window scaling so any value above 64240 causes the transfer to hang. FWIW, Optimize3 sets this to 256,960.

 

FWIW, Dave called the likely parameter from the symptoms but I did a binary search routine which took me 6 iterations to get to the one parameter causing the bug. And then another two iterations to find that 64240 works (and 128480 doesn't work). If you ever see this problem again, I suggest u advise the customer to jump right to 64240.

 

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great work Tom and Dave! :tup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...