To All U. K. Smokers Your Freedom By Nick Clegg

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well I think El Tel and I are in agreement that the law should change and state no smoking in any private business unless that business has built (at his own cost) a separate well ventilated room just for smokers approved by the health organization of that country.

I think it would also need its own entrance but I think this is a compromise that works.

100% freedom for businesses to allow smoking in their facilities as long as it does not affect other customers patronizing the business.

Freedom of choice... let the businesses decide. The law should change.

Maybe I am going to sound like the old guy here, but here goes.

I think that the issues related to smoking are deeper than this. Cigarette smoking in my view is much worse for society than alcohol, marijuana, and cocaine combined. I am ex smoker and I have also used the other substances I mentioned. There is no comparison, cigarettes are by far the worst. They are so addictive. It starts taking over your mind, and when you are not smoking, it is all you can think about. I have not used heroin (another horrible substance) but from what I hear, the addictive properties are similar. There is no credible public health official that would not agree that cigarettes greatly hurt the over all health and productivity of our society.

Now on the other hand, despite tobacco's horrible impact on individual and collective health, it should not be illegal. Since the public bans which began in the 90's, cigarette consumption has dropped radically and has continued to drop. It has only been in effect for less than a generation. The trap as we all know is that people start smoking as a teen ager and then become hooked the rest of their lives until they die. I hope that teen agers start thinking about why it is becoming so increasingly difficult to smoke.

So the reason that all these bans exist is NOT to make it nicer for non smokers. That is a side effect. The goal is to reduce consumption of cigarettes and tobacco while still keeping it legal. So far it seems to be working.

So the reason that all these bans exist is NOT to make it nicer for non smokers. That is a side effect. The goal is to reduce consumption of cigarettes and tobacco while still keeping it legal. So far it seems to be working.

So in effect your saying that govt control is better for us, because we are sheeple

folks can start their cars with 14 mpg, haze up entire cities with hazardous smog but they can't fire up a cig, more than half energy spent in u.s. are "coal fire" power plants but you can't smoke in the neighboring pub.

are these lawmakers brain dead or something.

Not true Rob.

I was addicted to nicotine for over 30 years and you can get off the fix. It is possible if your willing to work (hard) at it. I have been free of nicotine for just over 2 years now. Yes, I'm glad I did it and it is very hard to quit but it can be done. No...smoking was not banned at bars and restaurants at the time I quit here in Mich.

i'm not a smoker and i defend those who smoke.

first of all, these pubs can put up a non smoking sign, sadly they lose business because a majority of their business are smokers.

since these laws were passed these parking lots have been empty, these places are where folks go to have a good time and get away.

that's been taken away, they work hard all week and can't smoke a cig at a bar on friday nights.

it's a dumb law.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

I have been busy digging, searching and I found all the MP's that voted for & against the "Smoking Ban" from all parties; courtesy of the BBC. Now some politicians and local authorities like to "Name & Shame" British Citizens that fall fowl of our jurisdiction. So I gave them some of their own medicine on the "Your Freedom" web site. Shortly before I made this post "Posted by El_Tel July 21, 2010 at 22:05" suggesting two solution. Then it was brought to my attention that none other than "Glenda Jackson" voted against the ban; and she illegibly smokes in her parliamentary office. Now that kinda rubs salt into this bitter Draconian "Smoking Ban"

Regards

El Tel

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I had to amend my opening post to remove / repair broken links

Thanks SL10 & 2 everyone else that has aired their views

Regards

El Tel

It reinforces your freedom of choice

I your a ex-smoker in an establishment that permits smoking and will power maybe your only option

i drink and im an exsmoker so the only option i have is will power it works for me and thats my freedom of choice

Hi.

So should this... I've added this the "Your Freedom Of Choice" web site.

Eureka :sparkle: I've got it...

Are you harking :geezer: NICK CLEGG you are going to love :unsure: me...

Lets have a fair playing field here, as you are crippling us smokers with excessive Tax and yet we stand firmly together, give us back our

"Freedom Of Choice"

and listen carefully to our modest request for a well ventilated indoor smoking area.

Now for the Eureka :sparkle: moment...

TAX the Non Smokers just as heavily as you TAX us smokers by giving the non smokers their "Smoke FREE Rooms" ( Just like a "First Class Compartment" on trains use to be ) just TAX them to enter their "Smoke Free Rooms of Choice" the exact same amount you SCREW us smokers for at source when we buy our tobbaco...

Level the playing field :laughing: and make it fair to both parties. Do likewise to Non Smoker to enter their "Smoke Free Environment" of Choice.

Now don't pus'ie foot around you could have all this sorted by Christmas, sooner if you got your finger out.

Then you'll get the much needed boost to sort out the economy... Thats if they bother to venture out like they say they do now they have got the whole run of our Pubs...

The smoking people of the UK are speaking, listen good.

As a foot :IG: note

You can guess where all the non smoker are going to be so they will be no TAX evasion, they will be easy to spot, because they will stick out like a sore thumbs, sitting in our smoking rooms wearing oxygen masks.

You can add your comment here "The Dying British Pub"

http://picturesinpas...E8C613BD41E!113

Regards

El Tel

Sorry you find this boring and not full of wisdom

Boring or Bored = A condition characterized by wandering attention, impaired efficiency, and low levels of arousal. It is sometimes confused with fatigue, but boredom usually results from too little stimulation, motivation, and interest. It commonly occurs in those who regularly perform monotonous exercise routines. Unlike fatigue, boredom leads to a lack of desire to exercise, rather than an inability to exercise. Boredom is one of the main reasons why people stop exercising and drop out of sport. It can be avoided if the type and location of exercise is varied, if achievable but challenging targets are set, and if exercise is made more fun.

Hi.

So should this... I've added this the "Your Freedom Of Choice" web site.

Eureka :sparkle: I've got it...

Are you harking :geezer: NICK CLEGG you are going to love :unsure: me...

Lets have a fair playing field here, as you are crippling us smokers with excessive Tax and yet we stand firmly together, give us back our

"Freedom Of Choice"

and listen carefully to our modest request for a well ventilated indoor smoking area.

Now for the Eureka :sparkle: moment...

TAX the Non Smokers just as heavily as you TAX us smokers by giving the non smokers their "Smoke FREE Rooms" ( Just like a "First Class Compartment" on trains use to be ) just TAX them to enter their "Smoke Free Rooms of Choice" the exact same amount you SCREW us smokers for at source when we buy our tobbaco...

Level the playing field :laughing: and make it fair to both parties. Do likewise to Non Smoker to enter their "Smoke Free Environment" of Choice.

Now don't pus'ie foot around you could have all this sorted by Christmas, sooner if you got your finger out.

Then you'll get the much needed boost to sort out the economy... Thats if they bother to venture out like they say they do now they have got the whole run of our Pubs...

The smoking people of the UK are speaking, listen good.

As a foot :IG: note

You can guess where all the non smoker are going to be so they will be no TAX evasion, they will be easy to spot, because they will stick out like a sore thumbs, sitting in our smoking rooms wearing oxygen masks.

You can add your comment here "The Dying British Pub"

http://picturesinpas...E8C613BD41E!113

Regards

El Tel

This is one of the most :filtered: thing I've read in a long time. Tax someone for not smoking? Looks like the cigarettes are affecting your brain. Edited by Intratech

Nah, people are free to smoke all they like in their own property. Public houses and other establishments open to the public have a smoking ban in place and long may it remain. Smoke all you want in your own property and outside. :lol:

I'm a tad confused here confused for several post now you have repeatedly stated that your not a smoker, nor do you wish others to smoke around you.

You have also stated in so many words your rights are better or seemingly more important than the rights of others. You have repeatedly mentioned public houses such as bars, clubs and restaurants that it is a good thing that smoking has been banned in all of these places,

Now don't get me wrong I don't have an issue with your not smoking but I am generally confused about this particular post I quote

Smoke all you want in your own property

Can assume that it is Ok with you that people smoke in these privately owned establishments that have been or are being purchased with private funds

Edited by Bear