Sign in to follow this  
ricrisci

Cannot Access Pc Pitstop

For several weeks now, I have been unable to log on to Yahoo! Groups, so I htought I'd visit my trusty friends at PC Pitstop, an dlo and behold, what do you think happened? I cannot access that site either form my home laptop running Windows Vista. I have tried both sites using both Internet Explorer and Firefox with no luck. So now I must ask from another computer.

Please help. What other info can I give you? I have Avast Antivirus installed but turning it off did not help. Can any of you?

Thanks,

Rick

Download Malwarebytes from the pc your posting here with and put it on a thumb drive, or burn it to a disk. Rename the download to something other than malwarebytes...an example would be: ricrisci.com and put it on the desktop of the infected pc. Install and update, then run the full scan. if it errors to update or run try using it in safemode, be aware that running in safemode may not get everything but it should get you to be able to boot up in normal mode to run another scan.

If malwarebytes errors in safemode, then you can try "rkill" here is a link that will help you do the clean up for whatever it is infecting your pc

http://www.bleepingc...opic308364.html

Edited by Joe C

Download Malwarebytes from the pc your posting here with and put it on a thumb drive, or burn it to a disk. Rename the download to something other than malwarebytes...an example would be: ricrisci.com and put it on the desktop of the infected pc. Install and update, then run the full scan. if it errors to update or run try using it in safemode, be aware that running in safemode may not get everything but it should get you to be able to boot up in normal mode to run another scan.

If malwarebytes errors in safemode, then you can try "rkill" here is a link that will help you do the clean up for whatever it is infecting your pc

http://www.bleepingc...opic308364.html

I already have malwarebytes installed on my laptop, so I ran it. It found no errors in quick mode, so now I am running it in full mode. Oddly now, I CAN access pcpitstop (which I only noticed a problem with the one time I tried yesterday), but still cannot access Yahoo groups (with which I have had trouble for months).

I will post results of the full scan when it is done.

The full scan also found no problems. And the situation on the laptop is that I can access pcpitstop.com but NOT the forums, so it may have something to do with forums and group sites.

The error messages I get from two browsers are:

IE error: "Windows canot find "groups.yahoo.com"

Windows sent the request to the DNS server responded that the name was unknown."

Firefox error: "Oops! Firefox could not find groups.yahoo.com

Try reloading: groups.yahoo.com"

Any other ideas?

Edited by ricrisci

A friend fixed the problem for me. The problem was that Windows was obtaining the DNS server automatically, but my friend changed it to Google's DNS server.

This has happened again, and my friend is not around. How do I reconfigure the DNS server, and what IP address should I use?

I am running Vista.

Edited by ricrisci

Click the Start Orb and in the search bar type cmd, in the list up top, right click and select Run As Admin on CMD, in the command window type ipconfig /flushdns then hit enter and try your sites again.

It's happened again. I did as above, but I still cannot access groups.yahoo.com. I think it worked last time. Any ideas?

groups Will the groups link link take you to yahoo groups?

You can change DNS settings in your network cards properties under tcp/ipv4 or in your router.

google dns site Google dns is 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 .

groups Will the groups link link take you to yahoo groups?

Nope, I just get the usual:

Oops! Firefox could not find groups.yahoo.com

Try reloading: groups.­yahoo.­com

You can change DNS settings in your network cards properties under tcp/ipv4 or in your router.

google dns site Google dns is 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 .

How do I access my "network cards properties"?