Sign in to follow this  
alantounsand

Keep Losing Sound

I have a Dell Latitude E6400 which is running Windows 7 operating system. The laptop was bought with Windows Vista operating system and I switched to the current configuration of Windows 7. I am anal about running PC Matic and PC Optimizer to keep the computer running well. I have no problems with the computer except that it has a habit of losing sound and then I have to reboot to get sound back. This only started happening after the switch to Windows 7. I have checked all my drivers and they are up to date, I have looked on Windows to see if there is something there but can find nothing, and have even gone so far as to totally reinstall Windows 7 to see if this is the issue and nothing seems to help. Thanks in advance for your time.

Regards,

Alan Tounsand

1 On the Dell website, see if there are any soundcard/motherboard updates for your computer.

2 Reinstall the sound driver anyway (should/could be on the Dell website/Dell CD)

3 Is the loss of sound triggered by anything (specific program/action) or is it random?

4 When you don't have sound anymore, go to control panel>sound>sound devices and see if everything is ok there.

1 On the Dell website, see if there are any soundcard/motherboard updates for your computer.

2 Reinstall the sound driver anyway (should/could be on the Dell website/Dell CD)

3 Is the loss of sound triggered by anything (specific program/action) or is it random?

4 When you don't have sound anymore, go to control panel>sound>sound devices and see if everything is ok there.

1) I have checked the Dell website for sound card/motherboard updates and there were none.

2) I have not reinstalled the sound driver but will attempt to obtain and reinstall and will reply when done.

3) At first I thought it was triggered by the head phones and microphone I was using but further investigation revealed this not to be true. It will just quit working out of the clear blue.

4) Next time it happens I will go to the control panel>sound>sound devices and check to see if everything is alright.

Thanks for the reply and I will keep digging and appreciated any and all help.

:wp:

Please open a ticket at our help desk so that we can get a log file and verify whether or not PC Matic is installing a sound driver each time this happens.

You can open a ticket from here:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/store/service.asp

I have opened a ticket and they have asked that I provide a "pcmatic-support.zip" file. I have tried to follow their instructions but cannot find the "options" button so that I can go to technical support and click the create a log button. I have searched for a means to develop this file they are requesting but cannot find anything. Your help would be deeply appreciated.

Hi Alan,

Please have a look here:

options.jpg

and here:

tech support.jpg