Sign in to follow this  
pcpitstopuser

Low Security Threat Test (Tracking Cookies Found)

After running PC Matic it reported in low security threat test that 70 tracking cookies were found. I have several questions:

1)how come there are duplicates and sometimes 5 or 6 of the same tracking cookie?

2)I decided to see wheter I could eliminate them on my own by going to each browser and then downloaded programs to eliminate them.

a)IE tools, internet options, delete

b)mozilla, tools, options, privacy,

c)mcafee antivirus plus: pc optimization, quick clean

d)windows disk clean up

e)downloaded, installed, ran Spybot: elimated threats

e)downloaded, installed, ran Privacy Mantra: checked to clear IE and Mozilla cookies and cache as well as others (see below)

After the above I reran PC Matic and the same 70 tracking cookies were reported.

2)What is it about the PC Matic that it continues to find the tracking cookies? Does the cache or log within PC matic need to be cleared? Is Privacy Mantra inadequate in clearing the cookies even though it reports clearing them?

These are the items I have set to clear/clean on Privacy Mantra:

Internet Explorer:

auto complete forms

cache

cookies

deletion of index.dat

download and save directory

history and address bar

Microsoft Office:

Access

Excel

Frontpage

Powerpoint

Word

Mozilla Firefox:

Cache

Cookies

Download History

Form history

History

Other Applications

All Selected

Windows media player:

All selected

Windows:

Clipboard

Crash log files

General log files

Map network drive MRU

Open/save dialogs

Recent documents

Recycle bin

Run

Search assistant

Temporary files

Windows defender logs

Windows mail recently used addresses

Windows management instrumentation

Below is a list of some of the 70 tracking cookies found: (none were eliminated with manual clearing of browswers, mcafee pc optimization, spybot and privacy mantra)

These are some of the tracking cookies:

azjmp.com

BS.Serving-Sys

realtechnetwork.net

Citi.BridgeTrack

digitalhealthcare.com

Edge.ru4

expedia.com

insightexpressai.com

adbrite.com

adlegend.com

PointRoll.com

interclick.com

marketwatch.com

247RealMedia.com

2o7.net

nbcuni.com

PointRoll.com

quantserve.com

QuestionMarket.com

RealMedia.com

revsci.net

roiservice.com

liveperson.net

Serving-Sys

2o7.net

SmartMoney.com

adbrite.com

adlegend.com

PointRoll.com

Ads.SpecificClick.com

realtechnetwork.net

Tacoda cookie

azjmp.com

BS.Serving-Sys

QuestionMarket.com

Citi.BridgeTrack

digitalhealthcare.com

SmartMoney.com

Edge.ru4

247RealMedia.com

2o7.net

TrafficMarketplace

Ads.SpecificClick.com

Tacoda cookie

expedia.com

insightexpressai.com

2o7.net

RealMedia.com

roiservice.com

liveperson.net

Serving-Sys

revsci.net

TrafficMarketplace

nbcuni.com

PointRoll.com

interclick.com

marketwatch.com

quantserve.com

Thank you for the help in understanding the pros and cons, limitations, tweaks of the product.

Edited by pcpitstopuser

Manually looking at the Temporary Internet Files folder to see if these cookies are there or not would be a good start. You can go to Start>Control Panel>Internet Options>Browsing History>Settings>View Files and see what is in there. The cookies PC Matic is listing should be found in that folder.

If they are not there and PC Matic is detecting them please open a ticket at our help desk so that we can get some more information.

You can open a ticket from here:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/store/service.asp

I went to control panel>Internet Options>Browsing History>Settings>View Files and found a very long list. Instead of looking for individual cookies found by PC Matic I deleted all of the cookies within the temporary internet file.

Then I ran windows disk clean up, McAfee PC Optimization Quick Clean, and Privacy Mantra again.

Then I ran PC Matic again and the same 70 cookies appeared.

Then I made numerous attempts to find and delete by trial and error:

Repeating the process above got the same result

The first time I did not reboot and wondered wheter I would have needed to reboot?

After rebooting I went to control panel>internet options>browsing history>settings>view files and deleted all temporary internet files again. Used the same cleaning methods and got the 70 cookies found with PC Matic.

Then I changed the disk space within the temporary internet files from 100 to 8 MB cleaned again and ran PC Matic and got the same result.

Then I uninstalled PC Matic and reinstalled it and got the same 70 cookies found.

Upon viewing the cookies that repopulated the temporary internet files I could not find the cookies found by PC Matic.

I concluded that PC Matic is finding temporary internet files that were not in this folder but somewhere else on my hard drive possibly within my transferred files (very old files from prior hard drive crash)

Within the 70 cookies listed in PC Matic are the names of the cookies and I entered some of these names in search>all files and folders>look in hard drive C>A word or phrase in file....

All search results were empty. For example: adbrite.com ; adlegend.com; realtechnetwork.net; revsci.net; ads.specificclick.com; tacoda all had empty search results

It seems to me that PC Matic is finding files and not displaying the actual finding but translating them into the name of the cookie and searching for the name of the cookie yield no result.

How do I find this folder and delete it (the folder named temporary internet files from my old hard drive does not appear to have these cookies) or if it is not a folder in which I need to find how do I find what PC matic is finding and then representing them as cookies?

I wonder what the search criteria are for this function? Or what kind of files it finds so that I could search for those files?

Perhaps I am way off, what's the source of these 70 cookies found by PC Matic?

Thank you

The PC Matic report of cookie realtechnetwork.net was not found in everything search but using this search program it finds items as they are being entered in the search and it found realtechnetwork without the .net ending:

name: [email protected][1].txt with a path of C:Documents and Settings\a\cookies

PC Matic reported cookie Questionmarket.com and this was not found by windows or everything search. However questionmarket without the .com was found using everything search:

name: [email protected][1].txt with path C:Documents and Settings\a\cookies

both of these show a path documents and settings\a\cookies

When I click on start>My documents I do not see a folder with the name cookies

When I click on start>My computer>a's documents I do not see a folder named cookies

When I enter cookies into windows search I did not find this folder.

When I enter cookies into everything search there are 44 names listed including 14 folders. All the cookies folders are on drive C but some of the other names are on my external drive. There is only one with path C:Documents and Settings\a. When I right click on it and check properties it has a size of 222KB with 635 files. When viewing the files many are colered either blue or black. It's unclear to me why they are of different colors for txt files.

I use an external drive to backup portions of my C drive but it appears that I am not backing up these cookies or these cookies with their path do not appear to be the same as those listed on my C drive.

When I attmpted to delete the folder cookies on my C drive I got Cookies is a windows system folder and is required for windows to run properly. It cannot be deleted.

What do I do now?

PC Matic detects the same 70 files each time.

Do I look for the 70 cookies within this file then right click on the cook and click delete?

What would happen if I used select all and deleted all of the 635 cookies? Would I then lose important information saved for each of the web sites or companies that I may need for the next connection?

I wonder why PC Matic is finding problems with only 70 of the 635 cookies?

They all appear to be *.txt in notepad. If they are in notepad then they are likely to not work as cookies in sending information?

Is this a false positive result using PC Matic? That is the result is no risk at all since it is text?

I'd like this product to report low security threats and then for me to delete any potential threats but I got the impression with this being text that it is a no security threat and a false positve. Please correct me if I have made an error in this interpretation. Would it be better for the IT team to modifiy the PC Matic search so that it disregards *.txt results? I still am puzzled why it labled 70 with low level threat among the 635?

Well, I took a chance deleting a few cookies found as low level threats by PC Matic. Then I reran PC Matic and again there were 70 cookies. What happened? Did they appear again because I missed duplicate cookies? Then I deleted all the cookies in the cookie folder. Then I ran McAfee PC Optimization quick clean, followed by Privacy Mantra. The I ran PC Matic again. This time I got a green light and with right click: congratulations there is no malware on your computer.

I spent a lot of time on this and I suspect there was never any malware on my computer with it being txt

Somehow getting the green light was the goal.

This is the current PC Matic report:

Test Area Test Name Scan Result Recommendation

Junk Files Old Patch Uninstallers 651.98 MB 50 MB

Internet HTTP Internet Settings Unoptimized Optimized

Internet TCP Internet Settings Unoptimized Optimized

Internet dns_settings Unoptimized Optimized

Internet afd_settings Unoptimized Optimized

Internet Firefox Internet Settings Unoptimized Optimized

Registry Registry Fixes 666 Registry Fixes < 100 Registry Fixes

Disk Most Fragmented Files 767 frags 500 frags

Other Drivers Conexant HDA D110 MDC V.92 Modem

12/2/2005 Conexant HDA D110 MDC V.92 Modem

3/22/2007

Other Drivers Broadcom 440x 10 / 100 Integrated Controller

8/17/2006 Broadcom 440x 10 / 100 Integrated Controller

11/21/2006

Advice System Restore Capacity 7,948 MB 1024 MB

Internet IE Password Security Enabled Disabled

Internet Firefox Password Security Enabled Disabled

Memory Utilization Memory Speed 2,884 MB/s 3,858 MB/s

Advice Adobe Reader Advice Adobe Reader 9.1.3 Replace Adobe Reader

Advice Adobe Reader Advice Spelling Dictionaries Support For Adobe Reader 9 Replace Adobe Reader

Test Area Test Name Scan Result Recommendation

Junk Files Old Patch Uninstallers 651.98 MB 50 MB

Internet HTTP Internet Settings Unoptimized Optimized

Internet TCP Internet Settings Unoptimized Optimized

Internet dns_settings Unoptimized Optimized

Internet afd_settings Unoptimized Optimized

Internet Firefox Internet Settings Unoptimized Optimized

Registry Registry Fixes 666 Registry Fixes < 100 Registry Fixes

Disk Most Fragmented Files 767 frags 500 frags

Other Drivers Conexant HDA D110 MDC V.92 Modem

12/2/2005

Which if any of the remaining red bars if any are compelling to fix or are most not critical?

Thank you

Glad to hear you found the cookies. Thanks for letting us know.

Any thing in red should be the object of your focus.

I would recommend leaving drivers until the end.