Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

coxpower

Curious and maybe puzzled by results but not panicking yet

I have a peculiar "problem" which is not really a problem in that my computer is running perfectly OK.

It's just that to keep everything under control and CLEAN (my anti everything operates perfectly),I had a look at what I had loaded over the years to regularly "sweep" the cupboard clean,some of them every day when I start up........here's the list;

PC Pitstop

Optimiser

Optimiser3

PCMatic

MD3

Pitstop Driver Alert

And there's more..........

Power defrag

Pagefile defrag

Erunt

NTREGOPT

P/file defrag starts auto on startup.

But after ALL this I still have a small section of my C drive,probably not even 2%,in the red.....every time.

On my 2 other HDs F&G no problems at all.

I've tried everything to identify and deal with this "bit" but no luck as even finding and identifying them seems impossible.

I dont like unanswered questions and so throw this into the pit for possible answers.

Any bright sparks out there?

Peter

:pullhair:

:wp:

Please post an OverDrive link so that we can see what is taking place on your computer. You will need to register an account, login, and run the full tests from the link below, then copy and paste the URL from the results page into your reply:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/

If you need help, there is a tutorial here:

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/html/helpfiles/techexphelp.htm

Looks like OverDrive skipped the disk fragmentation analysis for some reason.

Where is it that you are seeing the small section of red? Have you tried shutting off the page file, defragging, then recreating the page file?

Where is it that you are seeing the small section of red? Have you tried shutting off the page file, defragging, then recreating the page file?

I have just done a defrag and then done a screenshot for you so you can see what I mean,but cant see how to add that saved screenshot to this letter.

Instructions please?

Peter

I have just done a defrag and then done a screenshot for you so you can see what I mean,but cant see how to add that saved screenshot to this letter.

Instructions please?

Peter

Also,no,havent shut off p/file defrag and defragged,and then restarted p/file defrag again........?

Any reason why?

Peter

You will first need to upload your screen shot to a host like Photo Bucket or Image Shack, then post a thumbnail or a link to the image.

A page file typicaly will not get fragmented, but if it does the best way to clean it up is to delete it then recreate it. Most software defraggers cannot do an 'offline' defrag, which means defragging will need to be done when the page file is not in use, which would usually before booting into Windows.

You will first need to upload your screen shot to a host like Photo Bucket or Image Shack, then post a thumbnail or a link to the image.

A page file typicaly will not get fragmented, but if it does the best way to clean it up is to delete it then recreate it. Most software defraggers cannot do an 'offline' defrag, which means defragging will need to be done when the page file is not in use, which would usually before booting into Windows.

Screenshot is on:

http://picasaweb.google.com/1066410289618625266905/20100430#

Let me know if you get it.......if not,email me and I can attach to a reply.

That is interesting about p/file defragging.........will explore that.

Thanks,

Peter

Thank you for the screen shot. Those appear to be system files (that cannot be defragged by our software) or files that were in use when the defragger ran. Try running PC Matic from Safe Mode with Networking and see if that helps.