Change Mode

Dial-up Blues

I have a 56k modem and regularly connect at 46,666. Sometimes I need patches or drivers for things, but I can't wait all day for a 5 meg d/l. I've heard about little things you can physically do to your modem that can make it super fast. Is there anything I can do?

You must of heard wrong...you cant make a dial up modem superfast. The fastest that you can possible get connected at under perfect conditions is 53K. Sometimes slowing the modem down instead of trying to force it to speed up makes the connection more stable.

Guest taywood

Same topic. My friend heard of my connect speed suddenly running slow and he suggested reducing maximum modem speed from 115200 to the next setting down which is 57600.

I didnt believe him until I read the Aeroman post. So thanks I'll try that.

Guest IrOnPiG

Another way to stabilize the connection.

Put 4 commas after the dialup phone number

ie.

555-555-5555,,,,

Yes I am serious :blink:

Just a suggestion to some of the folks who may have a flaky dialup connection. :mrwinky:

Edited by IrOnPiG

Guest IrOnPiG

No

your right but only when the comma is IN the phone number

ie. *70,555-555-5555

When you put 4 commas AFTER the number it means something totally different. Trust me on this guys.

Edited by IrOnPiG

No

your right but only when the comma is IN the phone number

ie. *70,555-555-5555

When you put 4 commas AFTER the number it means something totally different.  Trust me on this guys.

A comma after the phone number causes 1 sec delay per comma before your modem actually starts communicating with the one that it dialed into.

The reason for that is, some modems get confused or distrupted by sounds which might be on the phone line or made by the modem that you are calling right after you dial the number and get connected to it. Therefore, adding a pause might help the modem transmit information more clearly and not get 'confused'

Also, you dont have to put 4 commas. If you want a shorter delay, put less commas and if you want a longer delay put more commas.

:P

Edited by aeroman10