Change Mode

Stop 0x24 error when booting

A few days ago, I started my computer (Dell Dimension 4700, XP Home) and received a Stop 0x00000024, NTFS.sys BSOD error. I re-tried in safe mode, but with no success - still couldn't get beyond that error message.

I have since used guidance found in various places to:

a.) use a Knoppix Live CD to access my hard drive and salvage all files that hadn't been backed up (only a weeks worth or so), so I know that the hard drive isn't completely fried as I had initially suspected

b.) use Recovery Console to run chkdsk which "fixed one or more errors", and to overwrite NTFS.sys with the version from the XP CD

c.) remove and replace RAM (removed each stick individually, and tried booting with the other in place)

I think I could format the drive and reinstall Windows and that would possibly get things working again, but I'd like to gain a better understanding of what the problem actually is - for example, is my (5+ years old) hard drive inevitably going to have problems again within a week? Would a reinstall be a waste of time?

Any general guidance greatly appreciated.

Edited by GBerry

Thank you both for the replies, and apologies for taking a while to get back to you - I had difficulty during the week finding any spare time to try any suggestions. I've had a chance now though, with no success. :(

Running out of ideas now, google is mostly turning up the same suggestions that I have already tried, anything else worth trying would be appreciated.

If the stop 0X24 is in fact corruption of the system files, then try a Repair Install Of Windows XP

Since chkdsk /r didn't resolve it and you can access the hard drive through knoppix, this would be my next means of trouble-shooting the stop error. If it works, you don't lose any of your files or settings. :tup:

:)Y

Thanks, I gave that a try but the Repair option wasn't available. As I have everything backed up (and have now copied from my backup to ensure that everything is in two places), I plan to go ahead with a clean install of XP. When doing this, I'm given three options of where to install XP:

-: Partition1 (FAT) - 71mb

C: Partition2 (NTFS) 235gb

F: Partition 3 (FAT32) - 3.5gb

Based on size I'd guess that the one labelled F is where XP is currently installed. Do I just choose this as the place to install, or do I need to format / delete partitions or anything? Sorry for the simple question, I've never actually instaklled an OS before!

Thanks for the reply, and apologies once again for taking a while to get back to you. After the drive was formatted and the files were copied from the CD, the computer rebooted "to continue Setup from the hard drive" as it should. Upon doing this, a Stop 0xF4 error appeared, and continues to appear on every subsequent reboot (sometimes 0xc0000005). Is my intuition right that my remaining options are:

i) buy new hard drive

or

ii) buy new computer

?

Edited by GBerry

did you format all the partitions at once or separately? If your putting the install on the wrong partition, you could get that error

This problem occurs on a computer in which Windows XP or a later operating system is installed on a hard disk that is configured as a subordinate and no other device is connected to the same IDE controller channel (primary or secondary).

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;330100

I chose to install to the 235gb C:/ partition and chose to format when prompted, leaving the others untouched. I do have all my original Dell CDs etc., so the F:/ partition described earlier may not be necessary. Is there another way to go about formatting that I should try?

Thanks to all for the continuing support! :)

If you use the recovery partition, it will take the least time and intervention on your part. But, and that's a BIG but, you'll need/want to get rid of all the craplets/bloatware that came preinstalled on the machine if you go the R.P route.

I personally would go that route, then use pc decrapifier to get rid of the junk, then get a modern AV app on it and updated. Next, get ALL relevant MS updates, then JAVA,Adobe Flash and any other common app you use.

There's several other things I like to do on a fresh install but won't list them unless you're interested.

I just spotted "hard drive diagnostics" in the boot menu, which results in a "Fail: Return Code 7". A bit of searching suggests "bad sectors". New hard drive needed, I presume? If so, any guidance on what I need to do to make sure a new hard drive is compatible would be appreciated.

Yeah, you'd be wise to replace the HDD asap. Here's my recommendation.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822136284

Here's instructions from DELL on how to replace it.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...s.htm#wp1053797

Once you get the HDD in and your OS loaded, you can try to recover any data left that wasn't already recovered.

Is there anything I need to look for other than that the drive I get is 3.5" and SATA? Both in terms of anything that is essential for compatibility, and anything that is desirable (ie I know 7200 RPM is recommended).

The higher the Cache, the snappier it'll feel. The one I linked to has a 32meg cache. Also the higher capacity drives tend to have higher read write rates due to the higher areal density of the platters.

Thanks. I found some more diagnostics on boot up, which provided the following:

"2F00:0119. Suspected memory component on System board, at label CHANNEL A DIMM 0"

This suggests to me a motherboard problem too, am I right?

I have two sticks, and I tried removing one at a time and booting with the other, with no success. Presumably that would work unless both had a problem?

Also, I'm not sure how these things work, but would I have been able to boot with a Knoppix CD while having faulty RAM?

If you can boot to a usb stick then you should be able to boot to a cd disk too, i do not know where you got knoppix from tho

weak power supplies and bad caps can for make strange hardware issues too, might need to look into those things too