PCMCIA USB card freezes

The built in USB ports on my laptop (HP nx6125, Windows XP, up to date) are shot. I installed a Dynex 2-Port USB 2.0 Card Bus Adapter into the PCMCIA slot. I recently installed a new hard drive into this laptop and did a fresh install of Windows XP. When my screen saver kicks in, or when I close the lid, the Dynex USB ports go dead. The Device Manager still shows the USB ports as being there, but nothing happens when I plug something into them. Rebooting clears this up. I can also clear it up by going to Device Manager/PCMCIA adapter, disable it, then enable it.

Any guesses as to why my PCMCIA port, or my Dynex card goes numb?

Thanks, and Roll Tide!

In device manager, right click the name of the USB port. Click on "Properties." Click the "Power Management" tab and then un-check the check box labeled as "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." Maybe that will fix the problem. ;)

Ummm, Device Manager does not seem to have a power management feature for the PCMCIA bus, nor did I find any for the specific USB ports. :unsure:

I also checked the Power Options Properties and didn't find anything. Remember, this is Window's XP, perhaps it's not available in the newer OS's.

In general, I have had a lot of nagging problems since I did a fresh install. I've done this sort of thing many times before, but usually with good success. Leave it to Microsoft to put a built in expiration date on there OS's. LOL :rolleyes:

Thank you very much for your suggestion.

Edited by Bama

In device manager, scroll down to "Universal Serial Bus Controlers" and expand. Right click "USB Root Hub", select properties. You will have a "General" tab, "Power" tab, "Driver" tab, "Details" tab, and finally a "Power Management" tab. Click the power management tab and uncheck the box that says "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". I am looking at the XP screen on my second computer as I type this. Yours should be the same. :) There should be similar properties for that PCMCIA card somewhere to make the changes.

Edited by Signman