Sign in to follow this  
ramjam

Mcafee Virus Scan Online

I've used this since November, so have downloaded lots of updates. Yesterday's was different. First, it had to download an ActiveX, which had to be initiated by rebooting. The process included 3 reboots. Since then, McAfee has attempted to connect to internet about once an hour, and ZA has blocked it. When I saw the log, I checked to see if there was another McAfee update, but there wasn't. Now, this may all mean nothing, but that's what I'm asking. None of the other updates involved rebooting, and I don't remember it being in the ZA logs. Anyone else use this program and update yesterday 7/27? Thanks. JJ

I wouldn't touch the stuff.

But when looking for a problem for another member I noticed that there site was unavailable do to site upgrades going on.

I wonder if this might have had an impact on that version on McAfees online updater??

I'm not a member,,but ya might check their in house forum and see whats going on. ;) v

3 reboots is insane.

Why don't you uninstall it and get AVG?? It's free.

wait for someone to tell you how to uninstall it though, it must be done in a certain way I think. It's like a disease.

does someone have this link??

Edited by lucubration

The Mcafee updater seems to be down. I have not been able to update virus scan online for 2 days now. Tech support says that their update server is being upgraded. Anyone have news on this?

To uninstall McAfee, first you uninstall in the usual manner from Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs. Then you remove any folders named McAfee and Network Associates from the C: drive. Last, you need to run regedit and manually remove any references to McAfee and Network Associates.

Guest Spy on the Rocks

When I bought it they said that the virus definitions would be sended at a daily bases but, my virus definitions are 7 days old. :snooze:

Thanks, ya'll. Until now, I haven't had any problems with it. I'd receive a notice that an update was available, and the update would take a minute or less. (The other night, I used the "online support" on their site - you type in the problem and supposedly a person answers with suggestions. Well, the very slow steps I was given included clearing the temp files and downloaded program file, and then reboot! That's it! When he asked if I had any more questions, I said that I'd still like to know if the latest update was supposed to be like what I described. He said, "It's possible." What a waste of time.)

Anyway, I get the feeling that ya'll don't care for McAfee, and when I subscribed to the Virus Scan Online for a year, I thought I was buying a quality product that all the pro's used! So, do you mind telling me what I should know about it, because I recommended it to most of family and friends after I got it, and now they have it to!!!!!

I'm going to look into the AVG mentioned. Thanks again. JJ

I'v run it before and it gave me the only errors I'v ever got in 2 years.

If your having problems get rid of it and go with the AVG to see how ya like it.

If the family and friends are not having problems let it alone,,they will sooner or later. :mrgreen:

Then you can give them this link!! ;) v

http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

Hey Ramjam: I never had problems with Mcafee until last week. It just totally stopped working and I could not get a straight answer from Mcafee. The chat tech support was useless. They gave me the same worthless advice they gave to you. Anyway, finally they said it wasn't working because I still run Win 95 on my computer. They told me to upgrade. Well, I'm not going to do that because my computer runs great and is in perfect shape. So I deleted Mcafee and installed the free version of AVG...thanks to the good advice I got on this board. AVG seems great and the free version is fully functional and meets all my needs. And it runs with Win 95 just fine. If you cancel Mcafee, don't forget to call them and cancel your automatic renewal...if you had that on your account.