Change Mode

Why is there such a difference in these test results

Tonight Tue 6th April I did a complete house keeping and no problems at all. The final test is always the PC Matic.

The defrag results are still confuse me.

First test 6.24pm

Top 49%

Fragmented Items 0.14

Total Fragmentation 7.93

Data '' '' 32.09

Nothing was done at all between these tests.

Second test 6.56pm

Top 45%

Fragmented Items 0.02

Total Fragmentation 9.14

Data " " 37.3

Now as I am far from a computer whiz would it not be reasonable to expect the second test to either be the same or even better?

My question is why this still happening

My MS Defrag is always 0% after only one test

Keith :adios::adios:

The number of fragmented items went down for the second run, as expected:

First test 6.24pm

Top 49%

Fragmented Items 0.14

Second test 6.56pm

Top 45%

Fragmented Items 0.02

The Data fragmentation has to do with restore points (and other system files).

The results of a Vista or Win 7 system with System Restore enabled will always be odd because of how System Restore protects its files and allocates drive space.

The decision was made to not have PC Matic try to defrag restore points. The problem is that the amount of space Vista/Win7 allocates for system restore ends up with several restore points in the 10-16 GB size, or larger. It can take a considerable amount of time, often an hour or more, to chug through a single file that large. When there are three or four of them, the program appears to be 'hung'. Also, when it takes an extended period to run through the restore files, Vista/Win 7 will go ahead and 'relock' the files after PC Matic had unlocked them. We want PC Matic to be relatively quick to run, so Vista/Win7 restore points, although reported, are not defragged.

Most other defraggers, including MS, do not report files that they cannot defrag. So the reports of 0% fragmentation only applies to the files that they can defrag, not to all of the files on the computer. PC Matic (and DiskMD) report everything, whether they can defrag it or not.

• 1 month later...