new phone what to get

right now im with At&t amd have a Iphone 3g i get my upgrade next month and dont know what to get been looking at the HTC tilt 2 and the motorola backflip or even the new Dell aero that is coming out what i am looking for is somthing with a full Keyboard crap load of apps,touch screen, MP3 player and something that is fast what would u guys recommend

for starters, the areo doesn't have a keyboard, and from ALL initial peeks into it, att has severely hampered this phone, probably with dell to help, to do things such as remove the app store for an att flavor, over write google programs, and basically make it a joke. it COULD change by release, but i wouldn't wait for it. also rumoured to be part of the new webos crap that att is pushing around.

htc tile 2 is just way to pricy for my likes on top of a 2 year contract, and is oriented towards the business crowd with winmo.

i'm planing on getting the backflip here when i get my raise bonus, lol, but it's similarly speced to the iphone. it's more for fun with the motoblur (that i plan to disable) and will root it once it's hacked. android also runs on this one. right now it's at 1.5 so the apps as kinda limited, but if 2.0 or 2.1 drop for this, it'll open the rest of the world up, or like i said, once it gets rooted. since it's linux based you can pretty much do whatever with it once you get SU rights.

but unless you need some of the features of these phones, i wouldn't leave the iphone just yet. not worth the money in my opinion.

yea i was reading up on the backflip it looks like everything i need but the reviews are bad because of 1.5 firmware but it is only 99$ and the tilt was 200$ i might go with the backflip. the only phone that i like and fell in love with was the droid phone from verizon

you have to realize that the phone was being made before 2.0 and 2.1, so naturally it will have 1.5 fused with motoblur.

it's also only 99 bux.

AND, it's a non-issue for first time droid users as i won't feel that i'm downgrading. most the people bad mouthing the phone are people coming from a nexus 1 or a droid, both which are about DOUBLE the specs of this phone. this IS NOT a super phone like those, this is simply marketed as a smart phone with social media, so i'm not knocking it for being what it is.

the upgrade is OTA and is supposed to be coming in the next couple months, nothing official though. but once the phone is rooted, it's a simple flash with a 2.1 source build to be running the latest android software.

only downside i see right now seems to be a software issue with the google sync setting that it'll drain your battery in about half a day unless you disable it. i don't use the google calendar and what not, so i won't even miss it. but a future update should solve this issue. 2.0 also includes numerous battery increasing updates.

EDIT>> if you loved the droid, there is supposed to be the nexus 1 or 2 that is coming to GSM that you can pay a truck load for if you are looking for a super phone. price though is my ultimate factor

http://www.puremobile.com/HTC/HTC-Google-N...lack-GSM-Phone/

EDIT 2>> in my first post, i was talking about the dell mini3, sorry.

Edited by wdeydwondrer

ill prob stick with the Backflip i didnt know u can mod that type of phone, plus the price is great! on my iphone i dont even use the apps because i dont like buying the apple cards i like the whole pay to the bill type deal and that is what i am hoping for here

Edited by IceBear

Ya, Backflip. I hate motorola but thats the only android option you have for ATT till the Nexus one comes around.

Any phone with Android is good. Or switch to sprint. The HTC Evo comes out soon. 8mp camera, 720p recording, hdmi out, 1ghz proccy, plenty of ram, 800 x 480 res. All I can do is smile till june. And I am sure the everything plan for $69 will save you more then the ATT plan you have AFTER paying for contract cancellation :mrgreen:

o and another thing i need a phone that can keep up with my texts.... on my iphone i text fast and it takes a couple secs to keep up with me i dont know if the 3GS fixs that or what

o and another thing i need a phone that can keep up with my texts.... on my iphone i text fast and it takes a couple secs to keep up with me i dont know if the 3GS fixs that or what

Android has multitasking so it will hhold up better in tetxing and lag a lot less than with an iphone. I dont believe the 3GS did much to change at all.

is there any good 3D games on the backflip? one of my fav games that were on the iphone that was jailbroken was Monopoly, also on the backflip can u change the background and icons?

on the 3gs i though it got a faster CPU in it?

Edited by IceBear

i believe it's a slightly faster cpu. people that's bought it i know haven't really commented on it being much faster.

as far as 3d games go, you'd probably want the nexus 1 or a super phone w/ a graphics processor in it.'

they do have the nes and gb emulators in the market, and i was able to find monopoly for the android but not in the market, so you'd have to load it via computer and the adm method. by defualt att has locked non market apps out of the phone, but you can bypass this using the developer kit to paste it directly to the phone.

it's that site that gets people believing the wrong thing.

first off, that is a moto dev team member. also, he gained root access via a moto dev tool (which isn't released to public). and none of his pics show a SU prompt nor does he release any info on how to build the rom image or what keys he used.

all in all, it's a worthless post about a dev member having access to his phone...

the backflip has NOT been rooted yet.

http://backflip.g33xnexus.com/ just one of the people working on root.

Edited by wdeydwondrer

well im gonna get my backflip today i broke my iphone =/ i woke up and i guess i stepped on it and broke the glass and ATT is giving me my upgrade early so i will post back today on the review for it =)

alright got my new Moto backflip! cost me 264$ should get my 100$ rebate to soon also picked me up a nice case and a 8gig memory card, i got it all setup and running and omg it makes the iphone look like a childs toy most of the apps are free well all the ones that i wanted were all free i downloaded some themes (alien Vs predator themes they had!) texting is great on this phone love the keyboard has a 5meg Cam with flash on it its a pretty fast phone. the iphone 3g has a 620Mhz cpu but it is underclocked to 420Mhz and the Backflip has a 528CPU

cant wait for 2.1 to come out for it

alright got my new Moto backflip! cost me 264$ should get my 100$ rebate to soon also picked me up a nice case and a 8gig memory card, i got it all setup and running and omg it makes the iphone look like a childs toy most of the apps are free well all the ones that i wanted were all free i downloaded some themes (alien Vs predator themes they had!) texting is great on this phone love the keyboard has a 5meg Cam with flash on it its a pretty fast phone. the iphone 3g has a 620Mhz cpu but it is underclocked to 420Mhz and the Backflip has a 528CPU

wow, four posts?! lol

anyways. before you get TOO carried away with downloading, most users are reporting that a factory reset has elliminated some early glitches. once you do that, test the camera a bit, see if you have the camera bug. comes in various forms, but you'll know if you have it. also give it a full charge and take note if the battery gets warm or HOT. if it's HOT HOT, or you have the camera bug, return it for a new one. the first run aparently had a couple ugly ducklings.

also, if you want better battery life, i recomend setting the battery mode to "smart" unless you need your facebook and email updates as soon as they're posted instead of every 15 minutes. recomended to disable google sync untill a fix is pushed OTA. that has seen about double battery lentgh alone.

disable WIFI unless you're at home or using it. if you leave it on it'll eat the battery continuously searching for a AP.

and finally, make sure to calibrate the compass!

good ringtone program for free is ringdroid. lets you use mp3.

http://www.backflipforums.com/forum/ good site to check up on.

yea i downloaded that ringtone app already =) that was one of the first things i did, i ran the camera and took some pics i didnt see anything bad but i dont know what im looking for lol and i charged the phone and been using it so far not getting hot but it does get semi hot while chargeing for a while but dont all phones get hot?

sorry about 4 post i clicked add replay 4 times because everything froze

and i did find one problem i girlfriend tryed calling me and it never went thru so she tryed 3 more times and it never went thru so i called her and it went thru so she tryed agian calling me and it worked but then after that it didnt work agian

man the lady tricked me to lol she said that the apps i want they bill to my phone bill and i dont need a Credit card and i tryed downloading the Snes Emu and they want me to put in a Credit card!!!!!

Edited by IceBear

i THINK there's a free version of the snes, it just disables the save game feature. you also have 24 hrs to return your ap and not get billed.

talking about the battery getting hot, i mean HOT. some, not many i'd guess, units have a fualty battery aparently. if you can hold onto it, then it's fine.

some users are also saying that the opera mini browser is better. how is the standard one???

yea i pefer opera over the broswer that came with it alot faster to look up pages. so far everything is going good now at 100% charge and not hot at all

you need robo defence, papi jump, ak 47 app, shop savvy, barrage light and your set on the games.

Color note is cool because you can post sticky notes, metal detector is fun, paint is always good, offiviewer so you can see more files, wall paper set and save and then unit converter is handy.

DO NOT USE A TASK KILLER. As much as it says it works, i find my life easier without it. Sure its always multitasking but you never need to wait for the app to load. Plus it rarely lags, just restart the phone once a day