Change Mode

Codec Missing

Trying to listen to my music in Banshee...it works in Songbird fine, but no songs work and give a codec missing error in Banshee. Not finding anything useful myself, maybe someone has an idea?

I tried this:

You're playing MP3s, right? Just reboot once. If still this doesn't work, goto ~/.config/banshee and copy the file banshee.db to some safe place and do:

Code:

sudo apt-get purge banshee

sudo apt-get install banshee

Then copy back the banshee.db to the original location and try again

I didn't rename anything. I also tried reinstalling with the recommends command and rebooting, no dice either.

Try deleting or renaming ~/.config/banshee-1/

Then restart Banshee.

I just installed Banshee. Never used it before. Seems like a nice media player. It's working fine for me in openSUSE.

Which distro are you running Banshee in?

I just installed Banshee in Ubuntu 10.04.

Before that I installed ubuntu-restricted-extras.

Plays mp3's fine.

working here as well. i already had restricted extras installed, added banshee and mp3's play fine.

since your using kubuntu....have you installed the kubuntu-restricted-extras? looks like there might be a few different codecs included with that package....not sure at all if it will make any difference (probably not, but worth a shot).

I installed the kubuntu extras but not ubuntu extras...maybe that is why?

could be wrong, but i think theres much more included in the ubuntu version...definitely give that a shot.

:tup:

Not sure if it's a KDE thing or because of the new version of Kubuntu, but this version of Banshee has loads more features and must be newer than what I was using on Karmic.

Edited by adam22

I use KDE apps on Gnome all the time and Gnome apps on KDE.

Never had any problems.

I think the only negative is that the apps might not be as tightly integrated into the desktop environment.

As do I never had an issue with it.

That said I simply don't understand what codecs has to do with gtk or qt. Codecs are not related to a GUI. :shrug:

Edited by Bruce

bruce there are kubuntu-restricted-extras as there are ubuntu-restricted-extras.

go figure :lol:

So they do things in a stupid way of renaming things unnecessarily, whats the point?

Have you ever tried Amarok Adam?

Do not like it. I reinstalled banshee and it seems fine now...

I really like Songbird, but it's slower and has some issues that :filtered: me off.