Change Mode

hi ya everyone.

im looking into purchasing a wireless router for use with my AOL broadband service in the UK but I am looking for a router that only has no ehternet ports or just the 1 because I want to set up a complete wireless network without cables all over the place.

does anyone here have any suggestions on which 1 I can purchase ?

many thanks

Jon

father_john08uk, :wp:

Don't think you're going to find one without any ethernet ports. Whether you use them or not is up to you. One thing, most if not all router manufacturers do recommend using a wired connection when setting up or making any changes to the router's configuration. After that you can disconnect the wire and go totally wireless.

As for what to recommend, comes down to finding one with the features, range, etc that is suitable to your needs.

Thank you both for your replies.

The main reason im asking is because im moving into a new home shortly and I would like to place a wireless router high up within the property, but I would like every device wireless if possible to save wires running around as me and my partner have 2 small children and 1 of them is in the terrible 2's stage and into everything :pullhair:

but im having difficulty trying to find a wireless router with just the 1 ethernet port

it's not going to make any difference if it has one or four ports will it? You can just not use the other ports and if by some strange chance in your future, you'll have the extra ports if you need them

Just remember, wireless has security concerns. Be sure to change the Router's user name and password, setup your own SSID and use WPA or better encryption.

And as Joe C. said " You can just not use the other ports and if by some strange chance in your future, you'll have the extra ports if you need them. "

OK I googled it and its not cable.

Check out the Billion7404 VGPX although it has the ports you dont want, it also has a USB port that accepts 3G modems. And its VOIP compatible.

Hi,

As all the other replies have stated, you will struggle to get a router with 1 or 0 ethernet ports.

The link below is to the router I use at home:

Linksys Router

It is N rated so will give you the range you need in a large house, providing the connecting equipment is also N rated!!

I have a three storey house and get very good coverage across all areas, with the router situated on the 1st floor.

I can also pick it up with a "good" signal in my friends house, some 50 meters away.

Also DABs (where the link directs) is a reliable seller.

question that probably should have been asked, what kind of modem do you have? is there an ethernet port on the back side, or are you looking for a wireless gateway that can handle a direct dsl or cable connection?

from your initial post, you need to have atleast 1 ethernet port (a WAN port) for the modem to connect to the router.

If you are looking for something simple and works great I would take a look at the Apple Airport Express. The nice thing is if you get an airport express you can buy an airport extreme later on and link them together. You also have the option to use airtunes.

Just an idea. I know they are Apple products but when it comes to the internet they are all using the same standard and will all work together. Apple Airport Express only has one port in it as well.