.EXE files

kyleadam18

Two days ago, my wife noticed that the firefox icon in the quick launch bar was not visible anymore, only a blank white sheet. I didn't think much of it, and then today most of the icons on my computer are no longer visible and can't be opened. I can still get on the internet, but only after going through a series of steps. Please help. I can no longer open any microsoft office programs, as well as many others. If I try to open an office program, I receive an error message that reads "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Set Associations control panel." If I try to open internet explorer or firefox, the error message will read "Choose the program you want to open this file with".

I also found that I can open previously saved files that are microsoft word or excel. For example, if I had been typing an essay for school and saved a file as "essay", I can go and open that file and word will start and allow me to type. However, if I try to open word or powerpoint from the start menu or desktop, it will not open. Please help.

Archived