Change Mode

I run dual monitors on 3dmark all the time and no issue. Unless that's an ATi specific issue I don't think it's your problem.

What psu are you running? Possibly the card isn't getting enough juice with the dual monitor and down clocking issues.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yep im using build 1.2.0

psu is also power and cooling 750watt so i don't think that would be the problem sense i ran 2 cards in crossfire before this 4890 and a 4850.

i also remember that i think i had this problem before when i had the 4890

i had too turn off my 2nd monitor and it ran fine.

gaming isint a problem either with the 2nd monitor hook up just 3dmarks does it

too me i think its a ati and 3dmark issue sense the card runs fine in everything else with the duel monitors hooked up.

and the down clocking what im seeing is normal with duel monitors it will stay 400mhzs and 1200 and with single monitor it will go down too the lowest think its a driver issue or it keep it in a higher mode so it wont lag doing browsing the net or videos.

than when gaming it will go up too the max 850 and 1200 memory.

oh and does scores look good?

i look at other peoples and they showed around 20k too 21k which mine is almost 22.

Edited by gordesky1

k i was having more problems it was doing the same in games even with just one monitor like bbc2 after the stage was over and when it was loading the 2nd stage it would go on a black screen than freeze than sound came back than frozed so i had too restart it..

i tried all drivers well the new ones 10.2s and 10.3s betas and they did the same thing.

so i did a fresh install of the drivers and tried 9.12 hot fix and so far its working it went pass the stage were the other drivers would just freeze up the computer.

is the new drivers really that bad?.... cause it sucks i cant use them sense usely ati cards gain performance over time with driver updates.

well msi tool pretty much cause more problems than it helped gave couple blue blank screens.. when it was switching profiles.... but so far everything seems fine i played about 40min of dirt 2 max out 1920x1200 and everything maxed dx11 so maybe going too a older driver 9.12 hot fix fixed it.

its still a bit glitchy with my 2nd monitor up like if you maximized something on it will show black lines like its refreshing.

i wouldn't think i have a power issue sense the 4890 and 4850 was working fine and they take tons more power than 1 5870.

if it does it again im gona try it in my old socket 939 computer and see if that has any problems i know it will be bottleneck too hell lol but if it doesn't give any problems it would mean its something on my main system is causing it.. and if it causes problems than its the card hopefully its not or just the drivers.

Edited by gordesky1

k i fix the flickering problem i edited the profile that i found searching too make the low 2d clocks too stay at 400mhzs and 1200mhzs instead of down clocking too 157 and 300 memory and this was causing problems with alot of people with the same problems i was also having.

not sure why ati down clock theses cards so low when in power saving 2d mode..

maybe that's why i was getting black screens it goes down too 2d mode before it loads the next stage on bbc2 and that causes it too locked up.

gonna test it more now hopefully its good now.

ya true it does help too save power but its causing alot of people even me problems mainly running duel monitors and problee causing problems in games sense it seems like it could be going in lower power state when loading a cut scene or a new stage.

there was one person that had too update his bios on his 5870 too a new one which fixes it and highers the voltage.

but i don't feel like doing that and risking bricking the card.. so i just made the low 2d run at 400mhzs which is a software fix till at least they fix the drivers too make the card run little high clocks than the low 150mhzs...

even my laptop asus g50vt -x5 when it had that powermizeing always enable even in ac mode when i had it hook up too my external 1920x1200 screen it was so laggy even websites was really slow and that was around 200mhzs for the core clock so i disable it and it was fast pace again. the 5870 wasint doing that but it was unstable at those clocks and causing black flickering and artifects sometimes.

Edited by gordesky1

Did a search on this and you are not alone with this issue. Some people had to rma the card and the manufacture did a bios update that fixed the issue, others did tweaks to fix the issue, but it does seem to be related to OverDrive down clocking the cards.

Have a look at these

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm...MVIEWTMP=Linear

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm...threadid=121751

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114647

from everest it shows that the video bios date is 9/14/09 not sure if thats a new one or old?

edit on gpuz it shows ver012.011.000.006.034494

would this be the right bios for it? http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/61848/A...024.091112.html if it is than yep his didn't update this one....

anything i need and know too update the bios on it? i know how too update them but never did ati i ony did them on my laptop for overclocking and mother board bios updates.

think it be better than rmaing and too get it back with the same problem..

also saw this one says from ati update http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/61848/A...024.091112.html

Edited by gordesky1

k just flashed it and everything went well and the clocks are now working right with out any software tweaks:)

staying at 400mhzs 1200 in duel monitors.

now too try some games and see if it does any black screens and stuff hopefully not.

I see you've gone and done it, nice. You've got IG beat here, your first gpu flash attempt was successful.

The one I borked was not my first attempt. :P I had done probably two dozen before that, all AGP cards, starting with a Radeon 9500. (I think you sent me the BIOS for that one. :mrgreen: ) Even talked Shogan through a blind flash. I just forgot that there was a new interface available the ONE time I flashed an AGP card with a PCI-e BIOS... :blushing::lol:

:cr@sh:

k just flashed it and everything went well and the clocks are now working right with out any software tweaks:)

staying at 400mhzs 1200 in duel monitors.

now too try some games and see if it does any black screens and stuff hopefully not.

:clap:

Oh yeah, that was it I remember now.. the AGP with PCi-E BIOS. And yes, the good old days when I leaked the BIOS for the 9500 PRO to unlock the extra pixel pipeline and you and Flewpastu did the flash.

Edited by Intratech

sorry guys i was too busy testing games and than tried too post and the forums was down.. lol

but the bios update it mightve help too stabilized stuff but if i overclock just too test it say like 1mhz over stock the 400mhz core will go back down too 157 and start causing problems again..

but it seem like the fix is threw overdrive profiles i edit the profile too have 1063 volts for 400mhzs and set the lowest 2d too 400mhzs and it works perfect and even lets you overclock.

i also sometimes have amd gpu clock sometimes open when im playing games sense it forces max clocks and so far i haven't had any problems at all in all games i tried dirt 2 which i played about 2hours and bbc2 about another 2hours and everything was fast and stable :)

also is there a ulttlty too edit the clocks in the ati bios? i would just re flash it with the clocks i have in overdrive for the 2d and so it always stays like that.

card stays really cold even at max clocks lol with the fan on 50% i never saw over 60c at load and idles in the 30s.

also does my vantage 15k score and 3dmark 06 almost 22k look good?

thanks

i just flashed it with the clocks i wanted for the 2d 450mhzs 900memory and 1.067volts i kept the others as is.

and so far its working.

oh i also higher the over drive overclocking limit lol too 1000 lol figure i give it little more room sense i was there.

now hopefully everything stays 100% now.

edit it still seems like power play still is acting up but not as bad as before but when i was loading gta iv than went too change the res i saw the 2d on the 2nd monitor sense i monitor it on there go down too 450 when changing res and i got those grey screen with those stripes.

is there a way too just disable power play completely and run it full speed always like in the bios? the card works fine like that sense i use amd gpu tool too make it stay at full speed and its been stable for the whole day as long as i kept it running full speed.

too me it seems like voltage for the 2d clocks or for the memory volts is too low but not sure how too change that.

Edited by gordesky1

that's what im gonna do if after i try a few more other things im also gonna try it in my other computer too see if i have any problems on that pc.

sense this pc has been acting weird lately even when i had the 4890 in it.

if i do im still within newegg 30days so i problee rma it threw them but whats the chance of getting another one like this? people rma theirs like 3 times and it still did it for them and than they just disable power play and didn't have any problems sense because at full speed the card will game for hours with no problems.

Edited by gordesky1