Change Mode

just ordered a his 5870 too replace my his 4890 which was already a great card and performer sense it still haven't let me down in any game with 1920x1200 res.

but ya i had the upgrade feeling... lol and it was on sale 380shipped the most money i spent on a video card.. lol

so im wondering is the his 5870 a good card? i know my his 4890 has been solid sense 10months 24/7 running and heavy gaming.

but this is the 5x series and hopefully i wont have problems.

and also how well does the his 5870 overclock? cause i herd in some places that the msi and asus is the ones that overclock ony is that true?

im not looking too overclock right away sense the card is a beast aready but usely i always overclock anything that i get my hands on lol if i could overclock it some i be happy im not looking too overclock high sense i usely keep my cards close too stock if they still perform good sense i run my 4890 ony at 900core and 1000memory stable.

i just hope i didn't jump on the wagon too the 5x series too soon even tho in bench marks it pretty much doubles the 4890 and also does dx11.

how much fps % increase should i see in games from going from the 4890 too the 5870 in my sig ?

also i have it at 4.12ghzs right now.

Edited by gordesky1
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ya aslong as i get the performance for the money i spent.. lol

but if its doubled for what my 4890 is than im happy and by all the benches 5870vs 4890 i search showed pretty much every game like 20fps over or 30over and sometimes even more than that.

ony ones i know i wont see a huge increase is crysis and gta iv sense they relie on every part in your cpu lol

but even crysis showed at least a 10 or 15fps increase.

ya it would've been nice too get the 5970 but that is way over the price i would pay for a gpu lol but pretty much if i add a 2nd 5870 later on i pretty much would get the same performance as one so im good but problee be a good while sense the 5870 should last a long time in games heck my 4890 is still crunching at games..

wdeydwondrer you pretty much just scared me when you said the 5970 completes with the 4890 lol if that was true i was gonna say wth is ati doing and cancel my order for teh 4870 lol

He has a point.

If they were doing a direct comparison the 4890 vs 5970 would be what you would see do to the fact their both dual GPU video cards. apples to apples so to speak.

But the 5870 is a monster for a single GPU :tup:

With that said the 4890 has 2 gigs of gddr5...on a high rez monitor you may see a drop in fps

Edited by OneCool

I have both Asus and MSI card and the MSI overclocks much better than the Asus especially on the memory.

The best overclocking HD 5870 I've personally handled is a Sapphire HD 5870 (not rev.2 with the blue PCB) that I flashed to the Asus BIOS. On air that card did 1120/1395 stable with 1.299V on the GPU using Afterburner. I wanted so much to take it out of the guys PC and keep it for ME!

Essentially it's still a crap shoot when it comes to overclocking but I'd stay away from XFX and HIS cards since they are the ones that consistently seem to have lower overclocking headroom. Also make sure you keep an eye out for the Sapphire revision 2 cards and the Powercolour whatever the hell they call their custom PCB version of the card as they are crap at overclocking and you cannot use software to increase their VGPU.

He has a point.

If they were doing a direct comparison the 4890 vs 5890 would be what you would see do to the fact their both dual GPU video cards. apples to apples so to speak.

That's some kind of secret card that they haven't released yet or something? :huh:

He has a point.

If they were doing a direct comparison the 4890 vs 5970 would be what you would see do to the fact their both dual GPU video cards. apples to apples so to speak.

With that said the 4890 has 2 gigs of gddr5...on a high rez monitor you may see a drop in fps

hmm did you mean the 4870x2 instead of the 4890? cause the 4890 is a single card.

and my card is the 1gb version.

I have both Asus and MSI card and the MSI overclocks much better than the Asus especially on the memory.

The best overclocking HD 5870 I've personally handled is a Sapphire HD 5870 (not rev.2 with the blue PCB) that I flashed to the Asus BIOS. On air that card did 1120/1395 stable with 1.299V on the GPU using Afterburner. I wanted so much to take it out of the guys PC and keep it for ME!

Essentially it's still a crap shoot when it comes to overclocking but I'd stay away from XFX and HIS cards since they are the ones that consistently seem to have lower overclocking headroom. Also make sure you keep an eye out for the Sapphire revision 2 cards and the Powercolour whatever the hell they call their custom PCB version of the card as they are crap at overclocking and you cannot use software to increase their VGPU.

ya i really don't care if im not gonna get a insane overclock just some like i do with my his 4890. but the his does overclock right? its not locked?

Edited by gordesky1

You are correct Gorde.

I was thinking it was the same numbering scale they have now.

Im a dumb :filtered::rolleyes:

Im just going to back away slowly from this thread :unsure:

Edited by OneCool

You can overclock but limited to 900/1300. The memory isn't that much of a limitation but the GPU can usually clock pass 900MHz.

ok cool i just didn't want one that was locked and cant do anything.

i aready ordered the his its been shipped today and i should get it friday hopefully.

i mainly got it sense it was on sale 40$ cheaper on the egg than the other brands

msi was out of stock but was 409 plus no free shipping

and the sapphire is 479.. and 439 on there..

brands i usely go for is HIS sapphire visiontek and power color

my cards i all had and still have was the sapphire x1900gt which still going strong than i went too the 4850 visiontek still going strong and the HIS 4890 still going.

and for the powercolor ati 9800se its still going strong and what i loved about that card it can and is software unlocked too pro with the speeds and pipelines:) just runs really hot..

hopefully the 5870 will be the same like those cards.

Edited by gordesky1

ya it worked pretty decent i problee gained about 10fps to 20fps in most games and about 2 too 3k in 3dmark 06 think it was around 20k or 21k 3dmark and with just the 4890 around 18 19k.

but i took out the 4850 and ran just with the 4890 for sense the 4850 was always overheating and causing problems unless i turn the fan up on both cards full blast but that was way too loud too cope with lol

mainly with the 4890 fan at 100% it sounds like a jet taking off.. lol

and having mix cards one with 1gb and the 4850 had ony 512mb it ony gave me 512mb total sense crossfire runs like that... so i couldn't max out games like gta iv sense that needs 1gb too have all the settings up.

but it did perform well and games looks pretty nice with anti on 16x lol just the heat what really made me go back too singlecard.

like in left 4 dead 2 i got around 130 too 150fps max with the 4890 but when i had the 4850 in with it i saw fps up too 160 too 180fps.

does anyone know if the fans on the 5870s loud at max and cools the card good?

i mainly keep my 4890 on 30 too 40% any more % it just sounds like hair dryer or a jet taking off.. lol but the fan on the 4890 is nice on max % it keeps the card in 50s mosty at load and maybe low 60s sometimes even at 40% it stays in the low 70s and at idle it can go as low as high 30s

just got the card in today and so far everything is going good and card is running really cold i never saw 60c in bbc2 or dirt 2 and fan is ony on 50%

but not sure if this is a problem or what but when i first got the card in and i went too run 3dmark 06 after the first scene test the screen would go back but the lcd is on and im force too restart..

i would like too what it gets in 3dmark but it wont go threw it it just keeps on going on a black screen freeze.

i thought there was something bad with the card but in games its fine.

im also runing the new drivers 10.2 maybe they have something to do with it?

I've had that happen to me years ago, but can't remember for the life of me what caused it.

EDIT: I'm thinking it was the power plug on the vid card wasn't plugged in.

Edited by KRAM

just found the problem it seems like 3dmarks doesn't like duel monitors i unplug my 2nd small 17in screen which is for apps when gaming and it passed both tests:)

heres the scores i got

21693 3DMarks 06

and 3dmark 03 got a 77000 something

does thoes scores seem right?

i know it beats my 4890 that got 18k even overclocked.

oh im also running 9.12 drivers sense i thought 10.2 was causing the problem but gonna pop those back on.

hmm might keep 9.12s for now it seems like 10.2s doesn't down clock my card when its not doing anything the 9.12 puts it down too 157gpu / 300memory clock and running at a nice 31c lol

edit k i think duel monitors is making the clock not down clock all the way so gona go with the new drivers.

Edited by gordesky1