Change Mode

Left Click On Desktop For Start Menu ?

Guest zedzedr

Guest zedzedr

can anybody tell me how to get the left click anywhere on the desktop to get the start menu working again . mine used to work but switched on pc today and its not working now . i can still left click on the start button to get the start menu but used to be able to left click anywhere on the desktop to get start menu . thanks

I guess I never heard of being able to click anywhere on the desktop to get a start menu. Maybe it's a special function of your particular mouse. Take a look at Start/settings/control panel/mouse.

Then again, there's lots of things I never heard of.

Guest zedzedr

thanks for your replies , i am very surprised that you havent heard of it , i

have got windows 98 se on my pc and it has always had left click on the desktop anywhere to get the start menu , just cant understand why it suddenly stopped working !!

Just read the left mouse 'trick'???? So shot off and tried it DOH!! I think we are being taken for the proverbial -

Of course he could mean the Old Three Card Mouse Trick - now thats a different kettle of Mice. Love to all, Gilbo (Good Old England) ;);)

Don't encourage him Donna, it's more likely to do with something he ate the other night than settings. Can you imagine the probs it would cause, everytime you left-clicked anything your Start would shoot up. LOL ;) Gilbo (Good Old England).

Guest zedzedr

i am glad that i am giving you lot something to laugh about but i can assure you that when i bought this computer ( second hand ) it had left click on the desktop and the start menu would appear . this would only work on the desktop , if you had a folder open you couldnt left click on that for the start menu . it is or should i say was , very useful as you didnt have to go to the bottom left hand corner when you wanted to open a program .

Zed..no one is laughing at you, it's just that no one has ever heard of it before, it doesn't sound practical, and there are alot of very very knowledgable computer people in here. Why don't you run a test and post the results by clicking on Tech express above, and maybe we can see if you have some program that might allow that, that we don't know about. Also, you should have replied to the original thread, makes it easier to follow along and help. B)

:nospys:

Edited by thehulk18

could you post your test results?

here's the howto: http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress/howto1.asp

also what type of mouse, and what driver & software installed for it?

are your icons set to open on single-click or double?

is active desktop on or off?

what are you using for a wallpaper or theme?

I've been searching google with many different queries, and haven't been able to find anything about left-clicking on the desktop to access the start menu, either through software or registry hacks.

Guest zedzedr

FAO RADIO

i am using a normal mouse , although just bought a scroll mouse so will be using that soon . have not installed any driver for the mouse , im using windows 98 se driver .

my icons are set to open on double click .

my active desktop is set off . ie not view as web page .

im using a bmp picture as wallpaper ,i put a few different ones into windows.

as i said i bought this pc second hand and i have always been able to left click ANYWHERE on the desktop to get the start menu , if i use the windows key then the start menu still starts from the bottom left as with using the mouse to click there .

its really odd that nobody on here has heard of this before . i will have to go to my local pc shop and ask them if they have heard of it .

Even if I had heard of this, I wouldn't choose to use a setting such as that. I would think that clicking on the Start button is a simple enough procedure. Can't imagine why anybody would want that annoyance on their desktop.

Sorry, I don't mean to be cruel. It's just that I feel like maybe your PC suddenly decided to work correctly. I had (have) 98se on my other PC, and I can tell you that left-clicking on the desktop for the Start Menu is not standard operating procedure. Even if it was, I think I would disable that particular feature post-haste! ;) -kd5-

Guest TheDude

I'm using 98 also and I'd like too see that work, 'cause that's a beast I'd never seen before.

Definitely post the fix when it happens.

Guest zedzedr

yes i have got a diamond viper display on my pc but cant find anything in the settings to turn the left click on desktop back on !

Zed! You are not NUTS. I remember that function on Win 98. The funny thing was that it only worked for a short time after first installing Windows. But you are absolutly right. It was there.

I have no idea how to reenable it however.

Guest zedzedr

radio - yes i do have start / programs / diamond / in control tools 99 - what do i do next - and i have got windows 98 second edition installed - and have also got a few extras from 98 plus - companion for windows 98 installed .

hope this helps