Sign in to follow this  
Paultx

Newsletter, interrupted

All of a sudden, without any action from me, the PC Pitstop Newsletter was not being sent to my registered e-mail address anymore. Then I registered it again, TNA.

Then I registered one second e-mail address, and have since received two issues - but not in that former address.

What's wrong?

You can use this link to verify if your email address is properly recorded in the newsletter data base:

http://echo4.bluehornet.com/phase2/survey1....htm?cid=kmsedo

If it is, then check both any local spam folders as well a any with the ISP web mail.

It says the e-mail address is not on file. But I subscribed again TNA. As to spam, everything OK.

:pullhair:

You can use this link to verify if your email address is properly recorded in the newsletter data base:

http://echo4.bluehornet.com/phase2/survey1....htm?cid=kmsedo

If it is, then check both any local spam folders as well a any with the ISP web mail.

Hmmm, both of my email addys are no longer registered. Any reason why?

Nope... I know that I was receiving the news letter last year but now I am no longer on the email list, What got changed? I know I can re-do myself back on the email list, but I'm just curious on what made it go off the list in the first place

Just guessing, but it sounds like there was a database cleaning that was too aggressive. Have all of you that were removed from the list run an OverDrive scan, using that email address to login, within the last six months?

Login to OverDrive, click on User Profile, and you will see:

"Send me updates on PC Pitstop's new features."

That is one of the newsletter subscription links.

Haven't used the over drive test in a long time......Last spring sometime?

Not because I think it's bad, I do think it runs more accurate, faster and more informative.

But I can not agree with the pits policy of upgrading drivers on a whim because it can create more problems than it could solve.... just IMHO

PC Pitstop doesn't have a policy of updating drivers on a whim. We certainly provide driver update suggestions but there is nothing about our software or policy that requires driver updating. :P

The OverDrive scan is full of "suggestions".

Nothing forcing you do take any of them.

OK, this newsletter loaded A-OK to me.

For some reason, Joe C makes a point about the Overdrive Tests. It's making suggestions for me to turn off visual themes, but that tip is written like I'm using Windows XP, and I already have Windows 7 Home Premium installed.

Where have I stated that the overdrive test "forced" anybody to get drivers?

Does the test check your current driver against a newer driver to see if a newer driver would solve any issues because your using an older driver? .....or does it "suggest" a newer driver on a whim?

Edited by Joe C

... Does the test check your current driver against a newer driver to see if a newer driver would solve any issues because your using an older driver? .....or does it "suggest" a newer driver on a whim?

The answer to that question hinges on your definition of a "whim".

The driver suggestions are pulled from our database if there is a hardware ID match for the specific device using the PCI/VEN number. The drivers in the database have already been installed successfully on that specific piece of hardware using the same operating system on the same or similar computers by other users, and in that regard have been 'tested' to work correctly with that hardware.

I haven't used OverDrive for a while, and I'm not sure about the six months. But anyway now I'm more and more confused...

OverDrive... drivers... drive... drive letter... new drivers... newsletter... :blink:

Edited by Paultx

Yeah, we did get a little off topic. :lol:

Now that you have re-registered the email address you should be good to go.

The answer to that question hinges on your definition of a "whim".

The driver suggestions are pulled from our database if there is a hardware ID match for the specific device using the PCI/VEN number. The drivers in the database have already been installed successfully on that specific piece of hardware using the same operating system on the same or similar computers by other users, and in that regard have been 'tested' to work correctly with that hardware.

I posted that it was opinion and my opinion still stands, regardless

I am not disputing your efforts to sell drivers to folks, just the reasoning behind it