Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

adam22

BSoD

I got a friend who claims he was updating his computer, presumably Windows updates, and he says now as soon as Windows starts he gets a Blue Screen, and he can't even get to safe mode.

Error code is 0x0000007e (0x80000003, 0x8053355e, 0xf8a473bc, 0xf8a470b8)

I can't find anything...any ideas? I don't think he has a disc.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/915...lyam_2010-02-11

Tuesday's security updates from Microsoft have crippled Windows XP PCs with the notorious Blue Screen of Death (BSOD), users have reported on the company's support forum. Complaints began early yesterday, and gained momentum throughout the day.

"I updated 11 Windows XP updates today and restarted my PC like it asked me to," said a user identified as "tansenroy" who kicked off a growing support thread. "From then on, Windows cannot restart again! It is stopping at the blue screen with the following message: 'A problem has been detected and Windows has been shutdown to prevent damage to your computer.'"

From another source....

If you're experiencing the above-described problems after installing Tuesday's bundle of updates, follow these steps, which a number of affected users have said seem to fix the problem:

1. Boot from your Windows XP CD or DVD and start the recovery console (see this link on how to use recovery console)

Once you are in the Repair Screen..

2. Type this command: CHDIR $NtUninstallKB977165$\spuninst

3. Type this command: BATCH spuninst.txt

4. Type this command: systemroot

5. When complete, type this command: exit

PORTHOS, the systemroot command is unnecessary.  After "batch spuninst.txt" has finished and the prompt returns, type Exit and press Enter to restart, or just press the computer's reset button.

I don't think he has a disc.

Adam, if your friend has no XP CD, be aware that the procedure can be done by booting from any XP CD, whether an original disk or a copy.

Or, if he has access to any computer with a CD burner and an Internet connection, it's possible to create a bootable CD that contains the recovery console needed to perform the repair.  To do this, download RC.ISO using the following link.

www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso

RC.ISO must be used as a disk image to create the CD.  The file isn't simply burned to a data disk.

Boot the computer from the CD.  At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to load the recovery console.  Type the number of the installation to repair (usually 1) and press Enter.  Type the Administrator account password and press Enter (if no password is set, just press Enter).  Then, follow the steps in Porthos's post.  Note that the Enter key must be pressed after typing each command in the list.

Thanks for this thread. I was able to pass it on to another forum for someone having the very same issue.