Change Mode

Clean a PC to give away

Hello to all of you good people. I have an old PC that I want to give to a friend. I want to clean it up w/o wiping the computer. What application will do this but still leave me with a usable computer?

Thank you.

Hi. I really did not want to go to all of the work to "Wipe" my PC. I was hoping that there was some sort of appreciation that I was not aware of to clean the computer. But, if it is necessary to wipe it, I am able to do it.

Your response is appreciated. Thank you.

It depends upon your goal.

If I was handing down a computer to my Son, I might just hand it over.

If I was giving/selling a machine to a non-family member I would take extra steps.

- Probably pop in a new Hard Drive with fresh install of operating system

- At least run DBAN or similar to wipe an old Hard Drive before freshly installing the operating system.

http://www.dban.org/download

I would do the above for at least two reasons.

-to remove information and protect my own privacy

-to eliminate confusion and inconvenience to the prospective new owner

It can be annoying to have "stuff" embedded in an operating system or included in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data <-- and have to wonder what the heck all that stuff is/was that may or may not be still available as application programs in C:\Program Files.

Of course there are also many other locations where tell-tail "stuff" may be listed, much to the confusion of a new owner.

Best Regards

Hello again. I have found a program that was adequate enough for my purposes. It is Steve Gould's "Windows Clean Up". It was sufficient enough for my purpose. I gave my computer to a lifelong friend whom I trust. If I was selling or giving my computer to any other person I would have wiped the hard drives. I would suggest "Clean Up" to all of you, it has many settings for the amount that you you wish to clean your computer. I have been using it for about five years and it has worked wonderfully for me in keeping my computer in good working condition. Try it, I'm sure that you will be satisfied in it's performance.

Thank you all for your recommendations, it was appreciated.

Hello to all of you good people. I have an old PC that I want to give to a friend. I want to clean it up w/o wiping the computer. What application will do this but still leave me with a usable computer?

Thank you.

It doesn't matter who you give it to.

A wipe/reinstall/installation of only important updates is the way to go.

Let the new user customize the OS.