Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ParrotSlave

Defragment issues

I am looking at a screenshot after a recent PCMatic run: Total Fragmentation went from 10.93% to 10.99%, and Data Fragmentation went from 41.68% to 41.92%, yet, paradoxically, "No highly fragmented files found (no action taken). Say what? It does this regularly. How can it take forever if "no action taken"?

It also runs the defrag whether I want it to or not, even when the option to skip is saved.

Hoping to save time, I usually run a defrag program first; I was using the free Smart Defrag, but even when I optimized file placement, PCMatic would still take forever and it would find some fragmention (which would increase after it ran.) I now am using Diskeeper 2010--their IntelliWrite does something that should have been part of Windows all this time--but scanning with Diskeeper before using PCMatic gives the same result: PCMatic still finds some fragmentation, takes a long time to fix it, increases the amount of it, but says "no highly fragmented files." What gives?

A separate issue: I upgraded from an oem Vista Home Premium 64 bit to a real Vista Ultimate 64 bit, and now PCMatic is telling me I have used two of my five licenses. If I try out the 32 bit Vista Ultimate--to see if I get fewer not responding programs--would that use yet a third license, all on the same pc?

Another question: I can understand how the ranking it comes up with would have been varying, especially after Christmas: there were a lot of new, faster pcs in the world that started getting used, so any older pcs would start dropping in the rankings. Still, PCMatic gives me a different ranking every day. It has varied from the top 11% to 23%, and currently thinks it is in the top 18%. I think the ranking dropped some because I switched to Ultimate from Home Premium, which uses more processor power, so that might be part of it. I am wondering, though, about the algorithm that creates the rankings.

:wp:

The defrag analysis will run every time PC Matic runs. If the actual defrag is also running after being skipped in Options, then we will need for you to open a ticket at our help desk so that we can get a log file and see what is going on. You can open a ticket from here:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/store/service.asp

As to the fragmentation issue, your description of the issue indicates that the fragmentation is most likely in the Vista restore points.

You can either run Windows Disk Cleanup and delete all but the last restore point, or, if necessary, turn off System Restore, reboot and defrag with DiskMD, then turn System Restore back on (and be sure to manually create a new restore point in Vista) and you should see great improvement.

For now we have dropped Vista restore points from PC Matic. The problem is that the amount of space Vista allocates for system restore ends up with several restore points in the 10-16 GB size, or larger. It can take a considerable amount of time, often an hour or more, to chug through a single file that large. When there are three or four of them, the program appears to be 'hung'. Also, when it takes an extended period to run through the restore files, Vista will go ahead and 'relock' the files after PC Matic had unlocked them. We want PC Matic to be relatively quick to run, so Vista restore points, although reported, are not defragged. The development team is currently working on a solution to allow PC Matic to defrag Vista restore points.

Most of the defrag programs out there will not report files that they cannot defrag. PC Matic reports everything, whether it can defrag them or not.

As to the number of installations, on the right-hand side of the first screen of PC Matic is an option to remove any computer that has not been optimized within the last 60 days. Just click on the red circle.

For the World Ranking, from the PC Matic summary page you can click on the percentage number to open the page with the specific benchmark results. From there you can see the individual benchmark results and determine which ones are going up or down to cause the changes in standings. There should be mouse-overs with suggestions how to improve any deficiencies, or you can also use the Recommended Fixes from our free OverDrive diagnostic, which correspondes with the PC Matic World Rank.

Posted Image

I am using W7 and IE8 and for some reason I also have a problem with de fragmenting.

From what I can gather it is a MS issue and will not be solved until they MS bring out their first patch for W7

At the moment I do not get the Defrag done by PC Matic

I only use MS defrag and i am not having any problem at all.

Keith :adios::adios:

Hello Keith1937.

What is the issue you are having and why do you feel it is an MS issue?

Thank you IntelGuy

That saved me a lot of work

I have found another one MS told me my scanner/printer was not compatible. Yet it had been working OK

It turned out what could have been a faulty installation (which I doubt) and a missing driver update.

Now it works perfectly.

Keith :adios::adios:

Glad to hear that! Thanks for letting us know.