Sign in to follow this  
binfordw

Parallel card for new pc

Hi,

I needed a pc to run a cnc mill I'm putting together. I purchased a small E-machines low profile PC, and a parallel port card http://www.startech.com/item-specs/PEX2S1P...kout-Cable.aspx

The pc uses Window 7 64bit. Apparently the card/drivers are not compatible with windows 7, even though it is listed in the product info. what can I do to fix this? Is there a compatibility option in windows 7 that will allow this card to work for me?

Thanks,

Ben W

Edited by binfordw

You downloaded the driver and unzipped it? What happened when you tried that?, I see these files when I unzip the drivers from your link, Have you looked at the PDF's to see what you need to do?

Posted Image

I would follow the method explained in the PDF for vista 64. States you need to disable "driver signature enforcement" and install the driver before you install the pcie card into the computer. Here is a link to the drivers and guide in a PDF format

http://www.startech.com/Data/ProductDrivers/PEX2S1P552B.zip

down load to your favorite place/folder and unzip with XP (right click on the zip file and select "extract here")

Edited by Joe C

When I attempt to install the drivers/any drivers, it says installation aborted.

I just found the "disable signature" deal and did it, tried to install drivers but no difference yet, still says "Installation aborted".

Yesterday I had drivers install- but had the issue of "Windows could not verify the digital signature, etc etc", Just cant recall how I got that far.

So for Windows 7 64 bit I should be using the Vista 64bit you think?

I'll check the driver u listed and see where I can get

I don't think it will hurt to try it, be sure to remove the pci-e card before you install the drivers

I don't think it will hurt to try it, be sure to remove the pci-e card before you install the drivers

I remembered how I got drivers to install-

I shutdown and installed card, then let windows find it. I had it search the disk for drivers, and auto install. It installed, but now I still get the crap about windows found a problem while installing, windows requires a digitally signed driver, etc. I had selected the option while rebooting before to not require digital signing too, guess it didnt fix this issue.

I couldnt get it to do anything before installing the card. The drivers HAVE to be installed before the card is put in the mobo?

This isn't a windows 2000 or XP install, Vista and Windows 7 are completely different, and if you read the PDF provided, it states yes...you need to install the drivers first and then install the card

Edited by Joe C

This isn't a windows 2000 or XP install, Vista and Windows 7 are completely different, and if you read the PDF provided, it states yes...you need to install the drivers first and then install the card

But there is NO option for Windows 7 drivers..

Ben, despite StarTech's assertion of Win7 compatability, the manufacturer makes no such claim.

SW Driver Support

•Windows 32bit 2000/XP/2003 Server

•Windows 64bit XP/2003 Server

•Windows Vista 32 & 64bit

•Linux Kernel 2.6.11 & above

•MAC 10.4.X & above

•DOS 6.22

www.moschip.com/data/products/MCS9901/Short%20Form_9901.pdf

Woot,

I think I got it guys.

After I installed card and let windows install, I got the signed driver error. So I rebooted and re-selected the disable forced signed driver thing, and when it got to desktop, it was installing the serial ports, which completed correctly. I checked the device manager, and both the 2 serial ports and the parallel port look to be working fine, wee!

Thanks for the help and ideas!

Sometimes, but not always you can use Vista drivers for Windows 7, and sometimes you can use W2K drivers for XP because they have the same kernal in common, but going from W2K or XP to Windows 7 will not work

Edited by Joe C

Sometimes, but not always you can use Vista drivers for Windows 7, and sometimes you can use W2K drivers for XP because they have the same kernal in common, but going from W2K or XP to Windows 7 will not work

I have an Airlink pci wireless card in my [email protected] rig and it's using XP drivers on Vista.

Yup...and I had to use an XP ACPI driver for my netbook before Asus came out with Windows 7 drivers, it worked but not as it should, ran it in XP mode. If you have a W7 premium or basic version on your pc, your not going to get that option

All in all...a majority of XP drivers are not going to work with Vista/W7. When Vista first came out, many printers were not compatible and gave many nightmares

Edited by Joe C