Change Mode

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:tup:

:geezer:

Got the parts today, just waiting for the Megahalem Shadow Edition to arrive.

I cant believe I spent 110 dollars on a heatsink, fans, clips, Arctic Silver 5(I needed some) and shipping.

It better be worth it.

Edited by porksandwich9113

please tell me that was an extra 0 at the end of the price for the cooler.

I do not care what air cooling can do, but for that price its not worth it to me lol. If your going to do a 4ghz oc for 24/7 with even HT on, even with this cooler LINK your still going to be under 75c which is still fine for load.

:unsure:

Yes, the extra zero is there kido.

But think of it this way, this 100 dollar investment will be with me for a very long time. (assuming socket 1366 lasts at long as socket 775 did/does)

I think 1366 is already dead to be honest. Im sure they will have brackets to put on

How do you figure that kido? I have read Intel will have 6 and 8 core cpu's for the 1366.

Don't be a hater. :nono:

arrr. So the heatsink is to finally be delivered today. The sad thing is I won't have time to build my rig until the weekend. I have a massive stats assignment due tomorrow, work all night weds, plans Thursday, and a big Java assignment due on Saturday morning. (I had to code chess - as in the game.) then I have to work saturday night. Sigh. I miss being a first year college student.

arrr. So the heatsink is to finally be delivered today. The sad thing is I won't have time to build my rig until the weekend. I have a massive stats assignment due tomorrow, work all night weds, plans Thursday, and a big Java assignment due on Saturday morning. (I had to code chess - as in the game.) then I have to work saturday night. Sigh. I miss being a first year college student.

Aaarr matey, but it'll all be worth it in the end..... ;) Keep on keepin' on Sam.....

:geezer:

How do you figure that kido? I have read Intel will have 6 and 8 core cpu's for the 1366.

Don't be a hater. :nono:

I love the socket, i just feel that Intel may be using us as their high high high end that wont see sub $500 chips anymore :angry:

Porks, what games you gonna play

I love the socket, i just feel that Intel may be using us as their high high high end that wont see sub $500 chips anymore :angry:

Porks, what games you gonna play

Well.

I recently purchased the fallout 3 add-on pack and have been working through that, still have like 3 of them to go.

I occasionally play some good old counter-strike source.

I've been on Modern Warfare 2 online for a bit, but with the limited time I have to game its really just been signing on for a few rounds and thats all.

I plan on picking up L4D2 sometime, but im really not too much of a zombie guy.

I WILL be driving to the store and buying Bioshock 2 THE DAY it gets released.

Bioshock 1 is my favorite game I've ever played to date. It's so intuitive, unique, and I'm excited as can be for the multiplayer.

Thats about it though.

Don't get the AC7 heatsink. It's a nightmare to install the first time. If you ever plan on removing it, then this isn't the heatsink for you as it tends to either get stuck or the install pins snap and bend awkwardly so that they remain unusable.

Pick yourself up something that has screws in order to ensure future usability and ease of removal. I suggest looking at some Coolemaster products. They tend to be excellent coolers that have easy install and removal procedures.

Don't get the AC7 heatsink. It's a nightmare to install the first time. If you ever plan on removing it, then this isn't the heatsink for you as it tends to either get stuck or the install pins snap and bend awkwardly so that they remain unusable.

Pick yourself up something that has screws in order to ensure future usability and ease of removal. I suggest looking at some Coolemaster

products. They tend to be excellent coolers that have easy install and removal procedures.

you missed a few pages of posts. I already got the prolimatech megahalem.

Update:

I spent the better part of a day wrestling with my case, trying to fit everything in.

The heatsink & fan is so freaking massive.

I could only orient it one way otherwise the ram in DIMM's 1,2 & 3 didn't fit in.

Then after that, I could only mount the fan on one side otherwise again the ram would be blocked.

Then when the fan was on that one side, the CPU power cable was a really tight fit, that I had to squeeze under the fan, but it is there.

Now I get to the Sata connectors, they are about 1-1.5 inches from the side of my hard drive bay. Barely got those connected.. Lol.

My 280GTX fit just as well as it did previously, however the header for my front panel audio cable is not long enough to reach the connector anymore, due to the placement on the motherboard. (on the far side of the video card) So I need to find an extension for that.

Anyways, I never really had a chance to get windows installed at all, and my vertex's are scheduled for delivery today. So I am going to mount those (somehow - any suggestions? I have zip ties and some heavy duty double stick tape), do a bit more power cable management, and then hopefully we will get this baby running win7 tonight!

I will have pictures later today hopefully as well.

Edited by porksandwich9113

Dang that Megahalem is bigger then it looks in pictures. How many sticks are in the way? Just the first stick?

What case is this going in?

The drives are lite enough they really don't need all 4 screws in them and they don't vibrate so that isn't an issue. I just put mine on one side of the drive bay and used 2 screws to mount them.

Edited by KRAM

Hi Porky.. Pictures or it didn't happen :P:P

That sound bad, the Megahelms is a really good cooler, but it sure is massive, these reviews might be able to assist:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardw...r-review-5.html

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardw...-roundup-9.html

I wouldn't suggest using those Heavy duty double sided tapes for cable management, those things are sticky and in future if you ever want to clean or hardware failure or any reason it takes a lot to remove. Instead suggest using velcro pads, even the heavy duty ones can be removed without much hassle. If you are going to use double sided tape, use the ones from the dollar stores (at least in Canada) they are cheap, but they do the job.

But the best thing you want to use is zip ties for sure, velcro pads, velcro ties for big bundle of cables, stuff like that does the best cable management.

Dang that Megahalem is bigger then it looks in pictures. How many sticks are in the way? Just the first stick?

What case is this going in?

The drives are lite enough they really don't need all 4 screws in them and they don't vibrate so that isn't an issue. I just put mine on one side of the drive bay and used 2 screws to mount them.

it blocks dimms 1,2 and 3 Kram. Lol.

It wouldn't be so bad, but the trident heatsinks are tall.

But then I also opted for a 120x38mm fan (usually.120x25). IT'S :filtered: MASSIVE.

It's going into a sunbeam full size. I don't remember the model off the top of my head.

It was cheap, it looked cool and I was 14 and building my first pc when I bought it.

Looking back, it was a mistake. Haha.

My case has the screwless mounting system, with the slide in and clip.

I was thinking double stick tap on the bottom, then zip tie them to one side.

Miggsy, I am using zip ties for the cables. :)