Change Mode

So a while back I was planning on upgrading my computer, and the motherboard needed an RMA, then I had an unexpected car repair so I had to back out.

I've been smart with my paychecks, (saving mostly - lol)

Anyways, this is what I am looking at.

1. CPU

2. Motherboard

3. Ram

4. Pair of SSD's

5. Heatsink

Reusing my Case, HD's , PSU, and Video Card.

I'm not looking for anything too beastly in the overclock, maybe 3.6 to 3.8 Ghz.

1. i7 920

2. Gigabyte UD3R or EVGA E757

The motherboard is another matter. I've been looking at the Gigabyte UD3R and EVGA E757, and several others, but I just can't decide. I need some input here. Also, is USB 3.0, and Sata 6Gbs worth it?

Links to research would be great, I've been doing my own digging around and have not found anything substantial.

3. Corsair XMS3

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820145258

4. Corsair Extreme Series or OCZ Vertex Turbo

I don't know what to go for here either. A pair of these things just running my OS and usual apps, and a few games.

This is what I am looking at right now:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820233089

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820227468

5. AC7 Pro Rev.2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835186134

Edited by porksandwich9113
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So a while back I was planning on upgrading my computer, and the motherboard needed an RMA, then I had an unexpected car repair so I had to back out.

I've been smart with my paychecks, (saving mostly - lol)

Anyways, this is what I am looking at.

1. CPU

2. Motherboard

3. Ram

4. Pair of SSD's

5. Heatsink

Reusing my Case, HD's , PSU, and Video Card.

I'm not looking for anything too beastly in the overclock, maybe 3.6 to 3.8 Ghz.

1. i7 920

2. Gigabyte UD3R or EVGA E757

The motherboard is another matter. I've been looking at the Gigabyte UD3R and EVGA E757, and several others, but I just can't decide. I need some input here. Also, is USB 3.0, and Sata 6Gbs worth it?

Links to research would be great, I've been doing my own digging around and have not found anything substantial.

3. Corsair XMS3

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820145258

4. Corsair Extreme Series or OCZ Vertex Turbo

I don't know what to go for here either. A pair of these things just running my OS and usual apps, and a few games.

This is what I am looking at right now:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820233089

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820227468

5. AC7 Pro Rev.2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835186134

Please go AMD porky!!!

But if you have to go Intel then fine.

That I7 920 is $200 at microcenter.

The UD3 is your best bet at $200

Get the G. Skill Trident DDR3 2000 kit. I just did a new sample run yesterday @ 2190 @ 11-11-11-28 with 1.74v. Tell me the nothing but brand name pay corsair can do that.

Forget the SSD. There is too much change going on with them, another few months it will be something way different and prices will change. SSD are just something I wouldnt touch at the moment.

As for the cooler, check this out. Enzo tech has really been showing positive stuff with this cooler at that price. So you should easily do a 3.8ghz run with your HT on and still be well under 65c load in gaming.

$200 CPU

$200 Mobo

$200 RAM

$40 HSF

your gonna look around $700 to your house. Thats an ehh in my books. I still say go AMD for that price lol Save you Probably $150 and still get great in game performance, if not better.

Thanks for the input guys. Kram just dropped a beast of a deal to me.

I had a line on an i7 for about 210$. (it was confirmed D0), but now I think I'm buying krams parts. i7, E757, 6GB Trident 2000.

All I really need is a nice HSF, any more recommendations?

I'll decide on the ssd's at a later time.

you won't find better than what kram said to get. :tup:

Prolimatech Megahalem every time. ;)

:b33r:

Yes +1 to KRAM, Although the Cooler Master V8 is a pretty good option too.

I've seen many good reviews of the Titan Fenrir too.. http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10058/cp...l?tl=g40c14s757 The only downside to it is that it only supports one fan..

Although do have a look at this roundup.. http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardw...er-roundup.html Excellent review I think.

As for the mobo, I'd pick that Gigabyte.. It's an added bonus that doesn't cost a lot. Even though SATA 3.0 is useless at the moment, since we don't even have SATA3 drives, you wouldn't be ready in the near future. Although sources on the net also say, Asus will be providing a daughter board, that would support SATA 3.0 on any mobo. USB 3, well it's faster, if you have a USB enabled external drive, it'll do wonders..

But yea nice build there Beefburger.. err.. I mean Porksandwich

SSDs.. I'm no good at that, haven't researched much, although OCZ has some nice ones, and gotta tell you, their support is one of the best, top notch..

V8 is nice but dam its expensive and big for a cooler. I almost got it for my cousin but ended up getting him the Gemini for $25. For a cooler at that price he runs his E7200 3.8ghz daily under full load and his temps never past 50c.

BUT, you might want to check this out for the price.

Cogage. Same design as the True extreme and the Zalman flex, but without the price tag.

Nothing beats a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ for a price-performance ratio.. It keeps things fairly cool for a moderate overclock, if you start pushing even further then you really need like a Megahelms or similar. The new Noctua NH-D14 boasts a 3fan setup, but darn it's expensive at $80~.. but it comes with 3 kick @:filtered: noctua fans and very good cooling performance..

Really if you're on a budget, go with the Hyper 212+, it doesn't disappoint, otherwise look no further than the Megahelms, its destroys anything especially when pushing your processor to the limits, it has the best cooling performance for an extreme clock..

Well, Kram's deal that he's giving me is saving me about 200 dollars or so my budget opened up quite a bit. I am going to forgo the SSD's for now, im' thinking, but I have about 500$ for a Heatsink /w fans, and 2 SSD's.

I'm really just looking to push this little guy to about 3.6-3.8 range, which I will run it at daily. My case has a good 5 fans with excellent air-flow, (its one of those monster sunbeam full-sized).

So I have the

-Cool Master Hyper 212+

-Noctua NH-D14

-Cooler Master V8

-Prolimatech Megahalem

As good options for HSF.

No, Kram was about to sell an i7 set-up on eBay, and he gave me a great deal. :)

Good to know.. KRAM, so far on the forums seems like a very nice person and knows what he's talking about.

Good call on the SSD, I would wait really.. newer SSD, older ones bound to drop prices, some old ones are Intel based, and are darn good. The Kingston SSDNow V Series I thought was a pretty good drive and at their current price, you could honestly buy 2 of them and RAID them to see pretty darn good performance and that's without breaking the bank really..

But since you're skipping the SSD, get the Prolimatech Megahelms, it's a darn good cooler, it'll keep that 920 sucker at good temps, and even afterwards if you decide to clock higher, it'll keep things relatively cool.

Good to know.. KRAM, so far on the forums seems like a very nice person and knows what he's talking about.

Good call on the SSD, I would wait really.. newer SSD, older ones bound to drop prices, some old ones are Intel based, and are darn good. The Kingston SSDNow V Series I thought was a pretty good drive and at their current price, you could honestly buy 2 of them and RAID them to see pretty darn good performance and that's without breaking the bank really..

But since you're skipping the SSD, get the Prolimatech Megahelms, it's a darn good cooler, it'll keep that 920 sucker at good temps, and even afterwards if you decide to clock higher, it'll keep things relatively cool.

Yeah, I am pretty confident about the Megahelam.

Heatsink, Mounting Kit, 2 Fan Kits for 72$$.

Quick question though, can I mount any 120mm fan with their kits? I'd rather buy 2 nice 120mm fans from newegg for 7-8 bucks a piece, instead of the freaking 16 bucks a piece on the CrazyPC site.

Sam

Yeah, I am pretty confident about the Megahelam.

Heatsink, Mounting Kit, 2 Fan Kits for 72$$.

Quick question though, can I mount any 120mm fan with their kits? I'd rather buy 2 nice 120mm fans from newegg for 7-8 bucks a piece, instead of the freaking 16 bucks a piece on the CrazyPC site.

Sam

pretty sure you can, i would also choose the megahalem shadow that KRAM mentioned looks awesome and works amazing. i use the TRUE Black 120, and the megahalem smokes it in cooling :tup:

pretty sure you can, i would also choose the megahalem shadow that KRAM mentioned looks awesome and works amazing. i use the TRUE Black 120, and the megahalem smokes it in cooling :tup:

+1 to that, pretty sure you can.. TRUE still is pretty good, lap it and use the so called "washer and grommet mods" here's some useful info.. http://www.overclock.net/air-cooling/42581...treme-mods.html

so really with these mods, a TRUE is still standing tall.. Although you gotta give it to Prolimatech, best and most secure mounting process I've ever seen, and even the direct heat pipe touch coolers can't seem to match it, well that's in high overclocks, they are some coolers who do pretty darn good on moderate overclocks but when it comes to going higher on clocks, more heat brings the best out of megahelms..

+1 to that, pretty sure you can.. TRUE still is pretty good, lap it and use the so called "washer and grommet mods" here's some useful info.. http://www.overclock.net/air-cooling/42581...treme-mods.html

so really with these mods, a TRUE is still standing tall.. Although you gotta give it to Prolimatech, best and most secure mounting process I've ever seen, and even the direct heat pipe touch coolers can't seem to match it, well that's in high overclocks, they are some coolers who do pretty darn good on moderate overclocks but when it comes to going higher on clocks, more heat brings the best out of megahelms..

I'm far too lazy to lap it, plus I can't even fathom doing it to a 70 dollar piece of hardware much less a 250 dollar processor.

crazypc.com will lap it for you...for only $19.00. Not sure if it would even make that big of a difference with that Prolimatech and the cpu not being lapped. I haven't gotten real deep with looking at the i7 heatsink's flatness, but the cpu itself is larger then Core 2's and AMDs. I will say i7's are a bit harder to keep cool, but it was also pointed out to me by terry that they are designed to take the higher heat.

crazypc.com will lap it for you...for only $19.00. Not sure if it would even make that big of a difference with that Prolimatech and the cpu not being lapped. I haven't gotten real deep with looking at the i7 heatsink's flatness, but the cpu itself is larger then Core 2's and AMDs. I will say i7's are a bit harder to keep cool, but it was also pointed out to me by terry that they are designed to take the higher heat.

yeahs, I've looked at reviews of the thing. I don't think I will

need the lapping to keep the i7 cool even at 4.0ghz.

I couldn't find better deals anywhere, I just picked

up windows 7 64-bit for the tune of 7 bucks from the loverly

university of Minnesota Duluth.

Sha-wing!!!

Dang, want to double your money? Send a W7 disk my way, I'll pay shipping and give you $14 for it :P

Dang, want to double your money? Send a W7 disk my way, I'll pay shipping and give you $14 for it :P

First, you have to be an enrolled student.

So, technically while I am getting it for 7 dollars, I just paid 5500 dollars in tuition fees a month ago. Lol.

Second, they only let me buy one copy. Otherwise I would buy like hundreds of them. (My brother and girlfriend are going to give me their copies though)

Third, I am pretty sure you have to quality for the "academic copy" of win7. Albeit there is no difference between it and any other copy of Win7, its just "academic."

Edited by porksandwich9113

PS, if you're still thinking of picking up on KRAM's deal, I will vouch for him. He's a younger guy, seems well mannered and is a joy to deal with. (knows his stuff too!!)We've met personally and exchanged $ and parts and it's always a pleasure. :mrgreen:

:geezer: