Change Mode

CRT purple screen

Today as i was surfing the net my crt screen turned purple! Like a purple tint. I cant get it to go away.

I connected the screen to another computer and it has the purple tint too. So it cant be my graphics card.

I have has this screen for 6-7 years now and it has had a lot of use.

Is there anything i can do about it , i rather not go out and spend 150 plus on a new flat screen.

The green gun in the CRT has stopped working.  There are various causes, such as an open resistor or drive transistor, but there may be a more expensive problem.  You'll need a TV tech (not a computer tech) to evaluate it, and if one of the big chips has partly failed, it's time for a new monitor.

sounds like a good reason to put that old thing to rest and upgrade to an LCD monitor

Personally, I don't know of anybody in my area that will service a CRT screen, you can try to degauss the screen and check the cable too

Edited by Joe C

Same thing happened with one of my CRT monitors a while back, except my was a yellow tint not purple.

Maybe try looking around craigslist and see if anyone is giving away CRT monitor. Thats what I did so that I have something to hold over until budget will allow for better.

I think its more of a red tint now.

I notice when the screen is off overnight and i turn it back on in the morning it goes back to normal but after an hour of use it goes back to the red/purple tint.

Guess its time to get new screen.

I think its more of a red tint now.

I notice when the screen is off overnight and i turn it back on in the morning it goes back to normal but after an hour of use it goes back to the red/purple tint.

Guess its time to get new screen.

It sounds like your green color gun is overheating. I would try opening the back of the monitor and spraying it inside and out with a can of compressed air (or an air compressor).