Change Mode

ok put it to 4! Now that shoul get things going!

Here is who I am folding for.. dont know if my facebook will allow you to see it or not.. This is my daughter! She is disabled but loved Pink Floyd!!!

Edit: Uploaded to youtube.

Edited by lugnut
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Terry! She does not talk much (signs a lot) she is 6 (looks like 4) but I would not trade her for the world! She does not take anything for granted! She just enjoys life. Wish I could do that..

Well got the cpu working @95% to 97% maybe that extra 3% could run another? As temps are holding at 43c.

seems an odd number to me 95/97% but anyway no i wouldn't add another client, in my experience it takes 25% load per client so i'd be happy.

are the step times quicker??

i think you should be looking at 4k+ ppd with that setup when running right 24/7. :tup:

yep she looks like she's having a ball and enjoying every minute of her life lug, learn to enjoy your life too like she does. ;)

worrying never solved anything and most times you worry about things that never happen anyway. :lol:

:b33r:

seems an odd number to me 95/97% but anyway no i wouldn't add another client, in my experience it takes 25% load per client so i'd be happy.

Ya it has gone down to about 85%... :unsure: I remember that when I was just running the gpu cleint it was taking around 20% of my cpu cycles.. So is it only running the other 3 cores? and the gpu is taking that 4th core?

Lug, getting the environmentals set correctly can be a pita, but worth it.

Also when running two (SMP/GPU) client, its best to set the priorities.

To do this I use "Prifinitty" - http://edgemeal.110mb.com/PriFinitty/index.htm

It works on W7 64. Set the core for SMP (Vmware-vmx.exe) to below.

Then set the core (11) for GPU to what ever it needs to get a close to

normal PPD.

To set to auto load, once set to favs, click on the airplane, then the shield with +.

You might have to locate the file for the VM, if so, C:\Program Files\VMware\VM player\x64

I haven't played a whole lot with this on 7 yet, but I know it works, and worked great with XP.

:geezer:

ok been wondering why my cpu is only using 75% for the last day and went into my foler (online) and found this?

[20:04:28] Trying to unzip core FahCore_a2.exe

[20:04:28] Decompressed FahCore_a2.exe (5509624 bytes) successfully

[20:04:28] + Core successfully engaged

[20:04:33]

[20:04:33] + Processing work unit

[20:04:33] At least 4 processors must be requested.Core required: FahCore_a2.exe

[20:04:33] Core found.

[20:04:33] Working on Unit 03 [January 5 20:04:33]

[20:04:33] + Working ...

[20:04:33] *------------------------------*

[20:04:33] [email protected] Gromacs SMP Core

[20:04:33] Version 2.10 (Sun Aug 30 03:43:28 CEST 2009)

[20:04:33] Preparing to commence simulation

[20:04:33] - Ensuring status. Please wait.

[20:04:43] - Assembly optimizations manually forced on.

[20:04:43] - Not checking prior termination.

[20:04:43] Error: Could not open work file

[20:04:43]

[20:04:43] Project: 0 (Run 0, Clone 0, Gen 0)

[20:04:43]

[20:04:43] Error: Could not write local file. Exiting.

[20:04:43] - Shutting down core

Well, better late than never, but what does that same client say in the log now?? Did it start another WU?? If it hasn't, I'd close it and restart it, sometimes that happens and doing this will restart everything and it'll be fine.

Aha.. Finally got the SMP working... Now I should be putting some points up there.. My problem was I was not running it from the "run" command. I thought just clicking the icon started it :blushing:

What run command?

If you install it correctly, all you have to do is click on the notfred file, folding-vmx.

Icon should be three boxes. The VMplayer will start, load the file, and off to the races.

Well if you have it working, I guess best leave it alone.

Happy Folding.

to be honest rah, i'm still not sure he's got it setup 100% correctly.

just the vm smp set to use 4 cores folding should take his cpu to 100% load so with the cpu and gpu i'd expect 100% load all the time.

shouldn't the smp and gpu folding be netting him at least 4k ppd? @4ghz on a quad core?

say 1500 for the gpu and 2500 for the smp.. :shrug:

i know on my [email protected] with 8 cores got 8k ppd on linux so would expect a 4ghz amd quad on windows to get at least 2.5k. :surrender:

it is running 24/7 isn't it lug?

:b33r:

Edited by terry1966

Well my quad doesn't have VT, so never ran notfreds with it. But on normal linux, which

should be close, it got around 5.5K PPD using four cores.

I would think, with all set correctly, CPU/GPU he should be around 8K PPD easy.

Not sure what hes doing wrong, but something is amiss.

I can get 5K with my E6300 and dual 3850s folding. Just have to use the

machine so much right now, can't let it run but over night. Since its

so cold, I'll be staying in, and should get it all done this weekend.

Want to put my quad back together.

I had to do some "cooling fixins" and forgot to run it when I turned the pc back on :blushing:

As far as the run command.. I got it from the instructions at the FAH website.. but everything is running great today!!

Posted Image

Wish I could bring that cpu temp down a bit but at 4ghz thats descent!

Edited by lugnut

I guess its working, but something is still wrong.

I mean 13 minutes a frame?

You running the normal windows smp client?

With the VM client, you should be around 7 MPF, at max.

My Q8200 does windows SMP at 15 MPF @ 2.8Ghz.

It runs the normal linux SMP at 6 MPF @ 2.8Ghz.

Well now got a new problem! It keeps trying to attempt to get work but will not get it! Both gpu and cmp folding are attempting to get WU's at the same time. Do I need to shut one down?

Posted Image

Well now got a new problem! It keeps trying to attempt to get work but will not get it! Both gpu and cmp folding are attempting to get WU's at the same time. Do I need to shut one down?

Posted Image

I had the same thing and this is according to RAH.....shut down the client/s (SMP), and open the .vmx file in NotFreds....edit the Memory to show the max RAM available, save and exit. Restart the client and all should be well, that is just the client trying to access more RAM than is available IMO.