PC MATIC- 2nd scan really LONG

Just ran PC MATIC for the first time last night- initial scan for free. Bought the program. Fixed the problems. Fixed problems took about 2 1/2 hours.

I am now running the PC MATIC scan again today.

Computer was shut down after the initial scan and fix process.

I ran the 2nd scan on a clean boot after the computer being off all night.

This scan is taking HOURS to do (after two hours, it is only halfway through). It is taking a long time in the high risk malware section of the scan.

Is this normal?

The first scan was so fast, but this time, it is taking FOREVER. It is not hanging up or anything, just going through each file painfully slowly

as compared to the initial scan which was pretty fast.

I am running CA antivirus- is there something I am supposed to do with that when I run PC MATIC? It worked fine the first time, however. Why this time is it taking SO LONG?

Is it because the updated files are causing a deeper cleaning than the free scan is?

Edited by caprig

You may want to disable the CA product when PC Matic is scanning.

Please try this:

1) uninstall PC Matic from the control panel add/remove programs

2) check the installed programs list for an entry called Exterminate3 (this entry does not say PC Pitstop in front of it so it'll appear in the list with the rest of the E's), remove the entry if it's there

3) manually go to c:\program files\pcpitstop and manually delete the PC Matic and Exterminate3 folders to make sure that all parts are removed (sometimes the malware piece, which is what's failing, leaves behind files and we want to make sure you get fresh copies)

4) reinstall PC Matic from this link:( http://www.pcpitstop.com/store/get.asp?prd...ic&aff=0002 ) or our website and after installing verify that Exterminate3 is back in the add/remove program list

5) open PC Matic and go to the options and verify that the malware scan is on

6) do another scan and let us know if the issue is not resolved

Please try this:

2) check the installed programs list for an entry called Exterminate3 (this entry does not say PC Pitstop in front of it so it'll appear in the list with the rest of the E's), remove the entry if it's there

3) manually go to c:\program files\pcpitstop and manually delete the PC Matic and Exterminate3 folders to make sure that all parts are removed (sometimes the malware piece, which is what's failing, leaves behind files and we want to make sure you get fresh copies)

4) reinstall PC Matic from this link:( http://www.pcpitstop.com/store/get.asp?prd...ic&aff=0002 ) or our website and after installing verify that Exterminate3 is back in the add/remove program list

Same happened here. Followed above and all seems well except following of note:

I had allowed it to attempt tp do what it recommended was a fairly major defrag and after 3.5 hours it made less than a 1% change in the previous numbers. Obviously Windows 7's built in (and as far as I can find impossible to disable) built in auto defrag works fine and allowing that amount of time for pcmatic to do no more than it did was a waste of time.

Now for the biggy!

I made the mistake of allowing pcmatic to update an audio driver for me. After reboot I have no audio and my installed programs list contains a major ton of repeated installations of that very same audio driver! Here is a screen grab for proof!

I used the insert image icon to try and post the captured pic and the system says img tags aren't allowed? Why is the function in this editor?

Nice eh? :cr@sh: lol

Dynamic image linking is not allowed, images are fine as long as they are within the rules.

8) Posted images should be no larger than 550x412. Images that are larger than this will be converted to a link without notice.

It is not the defrag that is taking a long time, it is the disk optimization where every file on the hard drive is moved to be closer to the edge of the platters for quicker access. Depending on the size of the data and the speed of the drive the disk optimization can take hours to complete the first time. Leaving it to run overnight is usually enough even for a large slow drive. After that it is much, much faster. You can skip the disk optimization through the scan options if you don't want it.

You turn off the Windows 7 defragger by going to Start>Control Panel>Administrative tools>Services and disabling Disk Defragmenter.

If you open a ticket at our help desk we can get the sound driver issue sorted out. You can open a ticket from here:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/store/service.asp

The quick fix to get the sound back is to roll back the driver through the Device Manager.

Dynamic image linking is not allowed, images are fine as long as they are within the rules.

8) Posted images should be no larger than 550x412. Images that are larger than this will be converted to a link without notice.

It is not the defrag that is taking a long time, it is the disk optimization where every file on the hard drive is moved to be closer to the edge of the platters for quicker access. Depending on the size of the data and the speed of the drive the disk optimization can take hours to complete the first time. Leaving it to run overnight is usually enough even for a large slow drive. After that it is much, much faster. You can skip the disk optimization through the scan options if you don't want it.

You turn off the Windows 7 defragger by going to Start>Control Panel>Administrative tools>Services and disabling Disk Defragmenter.

If you open a ticket at our help desk we can get the sound driver issue sorted out. You can open a ticket from here:

The quick fix to get the sound back is to roll back the driver through the Device Manager.

Apparently I'm not understanding the insert image function as even with a smaller image than your stated max resolution it creates a link that does not show the picture. My question on the defragger was the before and after percentages were less than 1% changed even after all that time and the second pass said I needed to defragment the same drive again and reported the same numbers as before. (this was after I uninstalled and removed the directories for exterminate and pcmatic and reinstalled.

Already did the rollback thing and that worked but still had to manually uninstall no less than 10 instances of the newer driver turned out to be incompatible with my HP. (which is why windows update had it listed as optional rather than recommended or required) Shouldn't the driver update utility make mention of those and ask? Also lost my keyboard volume control but I think that may have been the result of an arbitrary craplet removal section decision.

It looks like I may need to know how to disable the automatic driver update utility for systems that make require driver updates from their manufacturers only, due to proprietary issues. I'll start a new thread for that. Sorry this seemed to exactly the same I just added on but has apparently expanded past the relevancy of the topic at hand.

Apparently this is not going to be as easy to roll out and auto run on machines unattended as was Optimize 3.0. I haven't found the email report option yet either. Time for more study! I'll try a smaller version of the driver install mishap and will open a separate ticket. Thanks!

multiple driver entries

If we can get a log file from you at our help desk we should be able to take that craplet off the removal list.

To disable a driver install:

Posted Image <--- Click here

Posted Image

To see the fragmentation analysis:

Posted Image

Posted Image

To set an email notification:

Posted Image

Posted Image

You can access the user's guide in PDF format from your Programs Menu:

Posted Image

• 1 month later...

I have had the same problem. I followed the instructions and PC Matic worked fine. Then about a month later I had the problem again, and again I followed the instructions and it worked fine. I had the problem about three days ago, but, this time it did not fix the problem. I tried several different times. Then I went to Options and changed the Malware scan setting from Full to QUick. Not it works fine (even found a malware called Grokster which it removed), but I would refer to do a full Malware scan.

Please try this:

Hi Monk,

Please open a ticket at our help desk so that we can get a little more information and see what is going on. You can open a ticket from here:

Just to verify, after uninstalling PC Matic were the two folders manually removed? If yes, did you reboot and verify that they were gone before reinstalling? You may want to try the uninstall/reinstall procedure one more time with the added reboot.